The Arnie - Enron connection

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Pinto, Aug 19, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

link

Magic Johnson??? Why would he be at such a meeting? Is he very political?

I hope that instead of a breath of fresh air in American Politics, Arnie doesn't just turn into the same old stink.

2. macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: The Arnie - Enron connection

prepare to be disappointed.

3. macrumors 6502a

simX

I would be *VERY* surprised if Davis advocated re-regulating the energy market. But it's high time that that does happen. Deregulation accomplishes nothing when we're talking about a basic need for all the people of a state. Deregulation was foolish of Pete Wilson to pioneer, and unfortunately, Gray Davis got the brunt of the ramifications dumped onto him.

If Davis came out and said he would support re-regulating the California energy market, I would applaud him. (Of course, there are still probably better candidates who would also advocate re-regulation.)

4. macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's somewhat of a misnomer to say that California's energy system was ever deregulated. It was simply re-regulated in a way that was more beneficial to the utility companies than it was previously.

5. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not to the utility companies (one of which went bankrupt), but to the energy producers and traders.

6. macrumors 68040

mactastic

You are correct. My bad.

7. macrumors newbie

Seems to me that there is some sort of atmosphere in California which leads too many voters to believe that:

"It's wrong to drill for oil here, and to refine it here--but we'll use petroleum products produced elsewhere, like the Gulf of Mexico."

"It's wrong to build those polluting power plants here--but we'll use electricity from those polluting plants elsewhere."

Every now and then, that sort of attitude leads to results that are rather painful.

California is not alone with this, of course, but it seems more prevalent there.

'Rat

8. macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hey, we'd be glad to help you protect your environment too... it's just a little out of my jurisdiction at the moment.:p

Oh and just to balance things out, so does the build-sprawling-crap-everywhere crowd. (Cause painful results I mean)

9. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

California gets dinged for this stuff all the time, but mainly without justification. Other states are just as guilty, if not more so, of exporting their problems. Here's a good example: California motorists have seen gas pump prices shoot up nearly 30% in about the last week. Why? Because Arizona refines no gasoline of their own, so when one of the two pipelines supplying the state broke, Arizona became totally dependent on California refineries. That means we in California are paying through the nose for Arizona's problems.

10. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Could it be that he was going to be a spokesman for the state? With Magic there too, that could be the case do you not think?