The Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Community' started by Opteron, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Opteron macrumors 6502

Why has this not been discussed yet?
    The season opener and not a peak from this fourm.

As suspected the boys in Red are on the front row for the start tomorrow, with Aussie Mark Webber starting from the 3rd row.
    Discuss.

2. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I dont expect a all Ferrari front row, I expect Michael to be first, but maybe one of the Renaults will be second. Anyway, its a long race and lots of cars normally go out at the first race of the season because of reliability problems etc.

The race is on 6am my time :( , so I will probably wait until the replay at 2pm.

3. iGav macrumors G3

you do know that quali has already happened and that it's an all Ferrari front row?? by over half a second ;)

Also the race starts at 3am, not 6... (if you're on GMT that is)... ;)

I watched Quali this morning, I still get goose bumps when Schumi goes out on a hot one, sublime, truly sublime. :)

I usually post about F1, but there's very few people that actually watch it on here, so the threads usually die pretty quickly, I'm putting it down to the fact that it's mainly yanks on here, and F1 ain't that popular over there... :rolleyes:

4. russed macrumors 68000

russed

im pleased to see jenson button did well. he deserves a podium finish tomorrow. i think he is the best hope for us Brits.

oh and also i am sick of seeing ferarri at the from as usual. i'd like to see schumi n a minardi or something like that is see how much it is the car and not his skill.

5. iGav macrumors G3

But he went through that when he first joined Ferrari in '96, the car was hardly the pick of the field yet he still scored one of the greatest victories ever at Barcelona in the rain (comparable, if not more impressive than Senna's Donnington win in '93 IMHO) when on some laps he was quicker to the tune of 4+ seconds a lap in a truly crap car.

The same in '97 and '98 when the Williams and McLaren were the better cars respectively.... he still bought the championships down to the wire in inferior equipment.

In 2000 there was nothing between the Ferrari and the Mac yet he won it in the Japanese GP over Mika because of his superior ability and speed in transitional weather conditions.

2001 was the first year they ever had the best car, and 2002 he demonstrated exactly what he could do with (clearly) the best car.... he destroyed everyone with 11 victories... no other driver has got close to dismantling the entire grid the same way as Schuey did in '02.

He's reaping the rewards of building and developing the team along with Todt, Brawn, Byrne and Martinelli since '96 so I don't see why he should leave, when he gave up many a realistic opportunity to join better teams in the mid '90's and win the championship, instead to focus on returning Ferrari to the pinnacle of F1, Rossi is doing a similar thing now by joining Yamaha.

I remember Ferrari's lean years from the early-mid '80's through the really bad early '90's when their cars were slow, uncompetitive, and worst of all hardly ever finished a race... to see the transformation now, is incredible... and as Patrick Head and Frank Williams have both said, the current Ferrari F1 'Team' is the greatest ever to have raced.

I personally enjoying watching who is in my opinion the greatest ever F1 driver going about his craft, F1 will miss him when he eventually does retire... because we'll be left with no clearly outstanding drivers, (Alonso could be, Kimi I'm not sure about and Montoya certainly ain't) and half a grid who aren't there on merit, but because they have hefty corporate sponsorship to pay for their drives.

Buttons doing a stroming job though, especially after out qualifying and out racing Jacques last year! :D

As for DC.... :rolleyes: what a chump...

6. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Unless someone has got figures for viewing and such I'd say it was on the decline over here as well. If it wasn't for the Big Schu there would be nothing left in the sport. Your later post points out the problems with the lack of drivers of high enough standard who take to the track each race. People I know who used to be serious F1 fans are finding better things to do more often and just rely on the highlights. There's just something missing, it seems. :(

On a personal note regarding coverage, mid-race adverts annoy me beyond belief, but I'm glad Walker's out of retirement return was short lived.

7. Blackstealth macrumors regular

I fell out with F1 when it became a Schumi and Ferrari-fest. In the last 3 years I've probably only watched 6 races right the way through.

I'll normally watch the qualifying to see if anyone really rubs the jumped up german's face in it, followed by the first 20 minutes of the race hoping for a big crash - It's the only excitement there is these days. How about a return to the good times where the likes of Mansell and Senna raced wheel to wheel?

I've even started to fall out with WRC as Channel 4's coverage is atrocious and the Rally GB really should be renamed the Welsh Rally.

8. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

x-actly! GO! Schumi GO!

vSpacken

9. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

No I did not know that, since I am watching the qualifiing now.
    :mad: :D

10. iGav macrumors G3

bollocks... it didn't occur to me that you might want to watch it and not have the result ruined... soz there fella... :(

you doing the race Live then?? just incase I spill the result come the morning... heheh

11. Interiority macrumors member

Just watched the qualifying this afternoon. I did have high hopes for Kimi this year, but it looks like it's going to be another Schumi walk-over...

12. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Only ten more poles and he will match Senna's record..absolutely amazing :)

13. iGav macrumors G3

Only 9 more to match... 56-65

It'd be incredible wouldn't it if he could top Senna's pole record..., that seemed more unobtainable than Fangio's 5 WDC... :eek:

Is it just me though, or since the new Quali rules came in last season, Pole has lost abit of it's 'kudos' to what it was??

Before it used to be drivers giving full welly, you got to see exactly what the car could do, (remember Senna or Schumi against it trying to beat a time, sent shivers down your spine... almost supernatural in it's intensity) now it's like it's been watered down.... important, but it's difficult to place the same amount of importance and relevance to performance as it did before the new rules were established because of the differing fuel strategies.

Sometime next season he should get the pole record... and then that's pretty much all the (main) records tied up... ;) :D

Imagine though... Senna in his prime Vs. Schumi in his.... in the same car.... that would have been the 'Rumble In The Jungle', the 'Thrilla In Manilla' of motorsport.... personally, over a season I reckon Schumi would've edged it, but it'd be one hell of a season either way.... :D

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

This is one F1 watching yank who's going to Montreal this year for the Canadian GP. :D

Screw Indy and T.G.

15. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Oh yea...sometimes I can't count :rolleyes:

It's hard to say who'd come out on top...but I'd but a ticket :D

16. Opteron thread starter macrumors 6502

When Adelaide was the last event of the season it was amazing. When Melbourne bought the Grand Prix in 95 or something, Adelaide lost intrest, but can still claim the largest motorsport event in the county with the opening round of the V8 Supercars, which draws a larger crowd than the GP in Meloburne, or indy in Surfers.

I still watch the WRC, though the coverage is 1 week delayed here. I just watching what I believe to be the best drivers in the world, in th most adverse, demanding and dynamic conditions. the WRC is a truly all weather all condition event.

P.S: what do you guys think of the news Williams car?

17. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    hmm, glad i looked at the listings today, i'm so used to GPs being on sundays, but then Oz is way ahead of us in time, starts 9pm Saturday evening for me, but if iGAV's saying 3am GMT, i guess i have an hour of crap to watch first...ah well

and yeah the GB WRC should be renamed the Welsh rally...shame it's no longer down the road from my folks in england, loved going to woburn.

i'm going to try and watch the whole season this year, haven't seen a whole F!GP season in years....

18. Opteron thread starter macrumors 6502

He came, he saw, he conqured

Michael Schumacher Wins the Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix.

19. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Ferrari really put the cleaners through everyone this year, will we see another push over year from them? Record crowd again this year, good to see people getting out and supporting F1 still

20. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    its another win...i hope this doesnt get boring

21. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Too late. :(

22. kjwebb macrumors regular

Shame Webber had a car problem.

Also it's a shame that Channel 10 (local right's holder in Australia) didn't broadcast the race in widescreen on Digital (DVB-T standard).

Did anyone in other countries that have Digital TV see it in Widescreen?

23. AhmedFaisal Guest

While I agree with all the F1 is getting boring...

... I can't agree with those that bitch about Schumacher. He is, in fact the best driver in the field, especially this year it is clearly visible as he was able to handle the ban on the start control and other such electronic devices much better than his competitors. His other advantage is that he more than most other drivers understands the underlying technology and can tell his mechanics exactly what needs to be changed on the car to run better. He also has a clear grasp where the limits of his car are and how much he can push it. Also he is one of the few that is able to analyze and admit his own mistakes. If I look at other drivers like that crybaby Montoya I am not surprised they can't keep up. Montoya doesn't know **** about mechanics and whenever he trashes his car everyone else is at fault not him. Others that I believe could become competitors of Schumacher either lack experience (Kimi) or a comparable car (Button, Alonso etc.). The problem with F1 is that the good drivers are not in the good cars at the moment.
    Cheers,

Ahmed

24. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi,

agree. I am a Schumacher fan since 10 years now. But that doesn't mean that I want him to win every race. I watched the race today. I really hope that the competion finds something to make their cars faster maybe Michelin has better tyres for the races to come.

ITS SO BORING !

I wish the good old times back with races against Damon Hill or Mika ! Even Jacques in the right car would be great. This guy really shot himself out of formula one.

Cheers

25. Blackstealth macrumors regular

Well, that's it. If the Malaysian GP is anything like today's race then I'm throwing in the towel with F1. It was quite simply the dullest race I can remember watching. Wow, it's Schumacer, and he's in the lead - for the entire frickin' race.

If it's going to be like this continually then they really need to shake up the rules to make it more interesting - ban seatbelts, crash helmets, and semi-automatic gearboxes. Give them a clean boiler suit, a pair of googles and some driving gloves. Make them double de-clutch, remove the electronic aids, run them on pure slicks, drop the engine limit back down to 1.5l and let them fit twin turbos. Make them parallel park during the pitstop for gods sake, anything to liven it up a bit...