'The Aviator'

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, Jun 5, 2004.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Being the aviation buff that I am, I'm looking forward to this one. Does look a little "gloss Hollywood" though.
    The Hughes H-1 racer will be a treat to see. The producers of the movie contacted some folks who built a replica and that's what you'll be seeing in the movie. No computer facsimile. Thank goodness.

trailer:http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2004/0-9ABC/Aviator_The/trailer-page.html

the plane:

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

3. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

The people are much less important than the planes. Dialogue is to provide a break in between flying.

4. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I don't know why so many people abhor DiCaprio. I think he's a good actor. Not great but good.
    Seems to me that he's just suffering from overexposure backlash. That or just plain jealousy.
    Nonetheless, he does seem a bit of a strange choice to play the technocrat mogul Hughes. Hughes was a pretty intense guy. Not sure if Leo can pull off that intensity.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The enjoyed the tailer of "The Aviator." I'm sure that the story of Howard Hughes would be fascinating. The plane scenes are beautiful!

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i have been an airplane freak all my life, especially concerning the ones from the era that is depicted in "the aviator"

when i saw the film, i had no doubt that today's film wizards and high budgets could pull off all the airplane stuff, but i doubted dicaprio's ability to play an ocd, drug addict, schizophrenic film mogul, airplane designer, and overall billionaire

but i was pleasantly surprised

some other movies i have liked, maybe due to my obsession with aircraft, are the "right stuff" and "pearl harbor", and like those other movies, i can see where a lot of people thought "the aviator" was a tad bit too long for the average moviegoer these days who want a 90 minute thrill ride

7. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I really enjoyed this movie, I thought it was well acted by all of the characters. DiCaprio has become a more serious actor now and seems intent on earning an Oscar, the portrayal is good and there was a lot of work put into the development of the character.

The flying scenes, and better yet, the crash sequences are spectacular.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm not a DiCaprio fan, but his work was good in this film.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

DiCaprio is a good actor. I'm looking forward to the movie to come out on DVD, I know that my wife has it on her list.

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i just rented it out on dvd and there's a whole second dvd disk of special features

as offensive as some of the behaviors howard hughes suffered from ocd, drug addiction, sex addiction, and schizophrenia, the movie was very tame compared to real life biopics i have seen over the last couple of decades about howard hughes

hughes was as sick, tormented, and depressed as he was charming and brilliant and his life story is an example of how life can be stranger than fiction and i really can't think of a man who lived such extremes more than howard hughes in the 20th century

to put it lightly, howard hughes makes michael jackson look very timid and normal by comparison