The Baba Ganoush Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by eyelikeart, Jul 20, 2003.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

so come on...let's hear it for the eggplant tasty paste! ;)

again...I'm biased to the middle eastern place around here...

I actually like to mix the hummus & baba together sometimes when possible...

yum yum stuff! :D

2. cubist macrumors 68020

Hmm... A friend of ours makes what she calls "kashk", containing eggplant. I like hers a lot. When I ordered it in restaurants, though, it wasn't as good. She confessed her secret: she adds a little bit of onions to it.

3. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I just looked up a couple recipes for it, looks tasty...none called for onions though.

So, it looks like it can either go as a side dish or stand alone as a meal, eh?

4. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    personally i can't stand the stuff mate, although i do try and sound clever by calling eggplant it's fancier name, and that is aubergine :)

5. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

When the hummus thread started I was trying to think what the other wierdo paste I used to get around the same time was, and I think that's it!

Can't remember what it tastes like though. But I just love eggplant.

I want some Dr. Bronner's seaweed powder seasoning stuff. I used to eat that on buttered toast kinda like that black stuff they use in AUS.

6. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

baba is good stuff. i can't make it, though. when i was at CMU, we had a stand version of Ali Baba's (a damn fine middle eastern resturaunt hre in pgh) at the student center. grape leaves and baba ganooj (;)) = good snacking. not hummus good, but good nonetheless.

i'd say baba ganooj is the ninth best food in the world:confused:(what?)

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Other than a funny sounding name, what is baba ganoush and what do you use it for?

If I ever see baba ganoush at a restaurant, I'll order it. :) Though I doubt they'll ever have it at McDonalds. :(

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I hate the stuff.

My mom loves it though - being the food freak she is.

She even called me Baba Ganoush for about a month just to anger me. It would be very funny to officially name someone that, I must admit ;).

scem0

9. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    yea baby, bring on the baba's, hummus and tziziki...there's a little hole in the wall in l.a. called al wazir that is the best.

do that on a friday and roscoe's chicken and waffles on a saturday and you've got one gastro-fantastic weekend...

burrrrrpppppp!

10. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

tzatziki sauce...don't get me started! :D

same restaurant I've mentioned twice already...they make the best I've ever had...dairy free too... ;)

I put it on everything...literally...the weirdest was eggs...and it was tasty I should mention...

11. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I have to agree with some of the others and voice my dislike for baba and any other eggplant dish. The taste of eggplant (aubergines for Evo) just doesn't do it for me. My wife on the other hand loves it and actually planted it in our garden.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

13. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

There's been a lot of press around mediterranean diets...and how people who live it tend to live longer & healthier. I'd have to say it's my favorite ethnicity of food to eat. Always such tasty stuff. ;)

14. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Yeah, my Mediterranean diet is robust and frequent...pasta...pizza...more pasta....cheezy toast...

15. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Can't say that I've ever had it, and I don't really care for eggplant so I probably never will.

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It's alot more than just eggplant. It includes fruits and vegetables! See my prior post for more information!

17. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Actually, it's smoked eggplant & isn't so much "eggplanty"...if that makes any sense?

I love the stuff. I'm out though, so this week I'll be buying more to keep on hand...usually buy by the pound. :D

18. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

The main ingredient is eggplant...the best i can describe it is eggplant hummus. similiar consistancy and taste, also just as delicious