Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 21, 2002
The progress the folding team at MacRumors.com has made this year is unbelievable! We only have one threat now, and we have 6 teams in our cross-hairs. So I am proposing a back to school push for more computing power.

We now have a whopping 200 members who regularly contribute to the team!!!!

What I am asking is this... Why don't we have a new push where we all try and add one machine to our team. (Either by new member or by new machine to our name.) If we each found one more computer for MacRumors we would have 200 extra computers producing...

Thoughts?!?

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I tell you what--you get me a copy of OS X and I'll fold the second I upgrade ;) (I was about to at the beginning of summer until I realized the client is OS X only)

pretentious

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2002
"Reality"
I second, if someone gets me a Jag capable Mac I would be more than happy to help :)

Or maybe a Folding client on classic so I could put my PowerBook 160 to use :D

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
It'd be nice, I have a cable modem connected to my PowerBook and it's *always* on, so if I were folding, it'd be doing it full time. It's just not worth $100 to upgrade to Jag when I am trying to save up for a new 15" AlBook, which hopefully will also include Pather :D

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Yeah, my 400 MHz G3 with 8 megs VRAM and 192 megs RAM just bearly runs OS X, but if they made a client for OS 8/9, I'd be able to run it with no problem nearly 24/7. All I do over the summer is surf the 'net and chat, anyway, so those 400 MHz are just going to waste all day long.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Im getting 2 700MHZ eMacs this school year, and maybe more if my school got some new macs (they might get some for the video editing class that tried to share 2 emacs with 30 students). I am going to have them start up at 1AM and shut down at 5AM every day, so the computer teacher doesn't know i'm leaving them on overnight, plus 6:30 until 3:30 everyday.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I'd love to do that in the Mac lab at school, they have two rows of PowerMac G4's sitting there hardly being used, but I believe they took the HD's out and have them networked, so I wouldn't be able to install the client program on them...it's a shame, too, all these dual G4's and no one at the school seems to know how to use Macs so they are just wasted.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I'd love to do that in the Mac lab at school, they have two rows of PowerMac G4's sitting there hardly being used, but I believe they took the HD's out and have them networked, so I wouldn't be able to install the client program on them...it's a shame, too, all these dual G4's and no one at the school seems to know how to use Macs so they are just wasted.
Damn they removed the hard drives?

Unless they delete your networked documents I think it could be possible anyway... not sure you should ask mc68k, he is the expert. :p

All of my school mac's are Os X, expect 2 iMacs which I will take from them when I get back, also I have some friends who are thinking about putting on folding to help me out... dunno tho.

Plutronics

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2003
Illinois
Newbee

I just started folding saturday for 3446 as plutronics, finished 33 points yesterday and am %16.3 on my second WU@70 points! I have four other computers here;
imac 15" flat 700Mhz - Pismo 400 - B&W 450 and a B&W 300. i only have OSX on this QuickSilver and my wifes imac, would the G3's be worth setting up with 10.2.6 and folding?
wat say u?

Plutronics

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2003
Illinois
Ive Added a line of code to my daily ops program to get the B&W's and pismo up to OSX Jag and start them Earning their keep. it looks like 8.6 days to run the progam, i'll start it right away! My second computer was a Apple][+ back in nov. of 1980, but i'm new to OSX, and the permisions thing is tacking some getting used to. a lot of things to relearn and feel out with one before i go and screw them all up

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Welcome to the team

Plutronics

You will find it quite easy to pass users like myself, but impossible to break the top 10... :p

If the 450 and 300 finish before the limit it is even better, then they can use the data, if not you still get the points.

Happy folding.

Plutronics

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2003
Illinois
I've finished my first fold and am 60% on my second. I started Folding@Home running on my wife's iMac and noticed it was running the same protein as my QS. It has the same Machine id as mine so i redid hers starting from the .dmg instead of the dragged folder i used the first time. it's now running a different protein but has the same id. I'm running an ethernet cable this morning to hook hers into my network, will i need to change her id or will stanford sort it out OK?

iMac:
Current Work Unit Name: p910_vill_str0_rf
Download time: August 7 18:04:17 Due time: August 27 18:04:17
Progress: 0% [__________]
[settings] username=Plutronics team=3446 asknet=no machineid=1
[http] active=no host=localhost port=8080 user= pass=
[draw] polycount=16

QuickSilver:
Current Work Unit Name: p638_L939_K12M_ext
Download time: August 5 14:46:08 Due time: September 24 14:46:08
Progress: 60% [||||||____]
[settings] username=Plutronics team=3446 asknet=no machineid=1 local=1
[http] active=no host=localhost port=8080 user= pass=
[draw] polycount=16

I have Dial-up which i connect up to each machine as needed. I'm using the GUI 3.25 interface on each. when hers finishes it's WU, I'm going to the console version because of multiple users on that machine as per another thread on this site. any opinions or help will be appreciated

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Originally posted by Plutronics
I've finished my first fold and am 60% on my second. I started Folding@Home running on my wife's iMac and noticed it was running the same protein as my QS. It has the same Machine id as mine so i redid hers starting from the .dmg instead of the dragged folder i used the first time. it's now running a different protein but has the same id. I'm running an ethernet cable this morning to hook hers into my network, will i need to change her id or will stanford sort it out OK?

I have had that happen to me before when i tried to put folding on my brothers old iMac, but he never finished the WU anyway (it slowed down quake). Is this just luck or what, because I have 3 machines, all with an ID of 1, and they seam to work fine together.

Plutronics

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2003
Illinois
Vlade, are your 3 all on the same network? I have three on mine, am running a line to add my wife's iMac and then building a small shelf/stan to move my pimso over to my desk with the 3 towers ( and KVM etc)

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Originally posted by Plutronics
Vlade, are your 3 all on the same network? I have three on mine, am running a line to add my wife's iMac and then building a small shelf/stan to move my pimso over to my desk with the 3 towers ( and KVM etc)

Yup, all sharing 1 Cable connection.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Ech, this isn't good...

We now only have 3 Upcoming Conquests... and Ni! is still gaining...

Yeah, get recruting, my friend said ok, it sounds cool... so .

:)

EDIT:

Recruit internally!

I'm serious, we are decreasing in points because some of the members I see here, posting right now have apparently stopped folding...

Not to go after anyone in paticular... (working up from 150, people who I have seen post recently):
medea
AmbitiousLemon (?)
G4scott
eyelikeart
kishba
MacBandit
Shadowfax0
Alset

(Not Sure about Ambit. hasn't been here in a good while)
I don't want my post to sound like a witch hunt, I know everyone has their reasons, but some of these people were people who gave to the team often.

Basically its a plea...

Guys, please come back, we love you and your points... please donate your extra CPU!

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
i might have been away but my computer was still folding. i just hit 500pts when i left and its at 800 something now. so no worries.

try to get all those new college students to install folding on computers in their new universities. that should help out. kids will be starting college the next couple months.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
i might have been away but my computer was still folding. i just hit 500pts when i left and its at 800 something now. so no worries.

try to get all those new college students to install folding on computers in their new universities. that should help out. kids will be starting college the next couple months.

If you noticed 7/30 ---> 8/12 (during which I posed) you had not returned a WU, I must say sorry to you for saying that.

You were working on a rather large WU, not stopping to contribute.

Very sorry.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
ah. i had no idea. glad i was away, it would have driven me nuts to be working on sucha big unit. must have been a big unit indeed. how many points did that bring in?

i believe the biggest... 70.9 if my memory serves me... since earlier...

:D

Glad to see you back, where might I ask did you go?

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
i was doing some research in hawaii (big island) for a few months.

Cool, sounds pretty neat!

:)

I'd like to go to hawaii... but that is another thread ...

Sorry again for saying you were the idle... i had no idea, I just added
Hadn't seen you on boards and no folding points ~ idleness, I'll be sure to do a background check next time!

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.