The Bahrain GP Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Apr 2, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

A bit late with this one... but the weathers damn fine, so I've been out playing :D

So then... just finished watching Qualifying 1 for the Bahrain Grand Prix, and nice to see Schumacher bang up there again :) a lot higher than I would have predicted had I got around to my usual pre qualifying thread yesterday.

According to Martin Brundle, Bahrain is the first time that the F2005 has been run in proper configuration with Bridgestones 2005 spec tyres (Ferrari had apparently been running 2004 spec tyres in the first 2 races according to some reports) and the F2005 is showing some excellent pace and consistency, although I have to agree with Brundle when he passed comment that the car looked less than properly set up, compared to what we're used to seeing from Ferrari. Schumacher really did make it stick though, monster lap.

For the 2nd race in succession Toyota have looked genuinely fast, with Trulli once again extracting everything possible over the one lap, Schu Jr. making a small mistake that cost him dear, but expect him to make up some places in final qualifying. And considering their consistency in Malaysia 2 weeks ago, they should be competitive in the race tomorrow.

A bit of a mixed session again for Renault, with Alonso looking fast, Fisichella less so. Obviously it's a little early in the season to make such judgements but Alonso really is making Fisichella look somewhat ordinary (had Oz quali not shafted Alonso I suspect he probably would have won that as well) yet Alonso himself was made to look somewhat ordinary by Trulli last season, either way... Fisichella's stock is in danger of going down unless he starts matching his teammate soon.

Quick Nick continues his ascendence, and is putting pressure on Webber in the process. I think the biggest surprise is yet again we find that the McLaren's aren't performing to what the cars seem capable of. The performance of the McLaren drivers certainly seems to be a subject of much paddock discussion if the ITV team are to be believed, but certainly Australia and Malaysia were both compromised by driver errors and comments from Ron Dennis suggest that's he's not especially happy with either of his race drivers at the moment. Pedro de la Rosa had a suitably impressive debut, even though he had the disadvantage of going out first, but to be that close to Kimi is very, very impressive considering the circumstances. It'll be interesting to see how he performs in final qualifying tomorrow to see if he can edge Kimi, but either way... he's closer to Kimi then Montoya has been so far this season and that must be raising some eyebrows.

So then... predictions.

Qualifying 2.

1. Alonso
    2. Schumacher
    3. Trulli
    4. Fisichella
    5. Heidfeld
    6. Webber
    7. Räikkönen
    8. Pedro de la Rosa

Race.

1. Schumacher (I'm going to stick my neck out)
    2. Alonso
    3. Fisichella
    4. Trulli
    5. Heidfeld
    6. Räikkönen
    7. Webber
    8. Pedro de la Rosa

Thoughts?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Personally I think that Ferrari may have jumped the gun with the introduction of the new cars. They seem short on spares and testing. I think at least one of their cars will fail to finish through a mechanical failure.

Alonso looks so strong and smooth, a clear winner in my book.

I was disappointed with Red Bull Racing. Neither car looked as quick as in the previous two races and they are looking at getting neither cars in the points unless there is a massive improvement in their speed or a lot of problems up the field.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't reckon we can be disappointed with Red Bull just yet, they're pretty new to the game and they took over a less-than-capable team. Taking that into account, I reckon they're doing quite well, they're showing some consistency. :)

I'm a huge Webber fan and to be honest, I think his attempts were a little lackluster. He's generally a pretty good qualifier and I'm expecting greater things from him in tomorrow's session - fingers crossed.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

RBR have been running very successfully in lower formula for quite a while so their not novices and the entire team was in place. I was only comparing their performance this weekend against the previous two weekends where I think they surprised everyone.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, that's a good point robbieduncan. Either way, I'm just loving how the whole game has been messed around randomly and we can't predict a Schuey win every time. I mean, I feel sorry for the guy, he's been looking pretty distressed after the first two races but it's good having a non-red car win the races for a while.

Having said that, I gotta admit that he'll probably take most of the races from here... :rolleyes:

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

So Alosnso is on pole with the Ferrari just behind. It's interesting that Alonso was faster than Schumi on the second qualifying lap, maybe he will be able to just drive away for an easy victory. Personally I hope he is pushed and we see some good racing.

7. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Best race of the season so far. :D

Congrats to Alonso, drove a textbook race and thanks to yet another decent race director we get to see the action instead!

Highlights for me...

Pedro de la Rosa.... hahahahahahaha brilliant, absolutely brilliant :p drop Montoya and get him in full time ;) with the exception of a couple of late braking moves, he was really on it... the way he was driving was EXACTLY like Mansell at Mexico '90 or Monaco '91 during the final few laps of those races, ducking and diving everywhere. :D

Shame that Schu retired, he was looking very strong at the beginning and certainly had the pace. What can you say though.... first mechanical retirement since July 2001 which when you look back on it is an incredible run, one which was always going to come to an end. It'll be interesting to see whether the retirement was caused by pure mechanical failure or as Schumacher said, by debris picked up from behind Alonso, either way it's demonstrated that over one lap Bridgestone have clawed back a massive amount, but also that the F2005 is more than competitive.

It'll be interesting to see what issues Barrichello had, looked like he was nursing the car after about lap 10, which is a shame considering he went from 19th to 10th in 2 laps at the start! :D His entire weekend was compromised by the gearbox issues after first practice Friday which restricted his running to nothing. And his engine change this morning dropping him to the back of the grid.

Come Europe though... I really do believe that we'll see Ferrari dominate again, Schu was incredibly bullish in his mid race interview, and the cooler climate of Europe should play right back into the hands of Bridgestone... to be bang on the pace with a car that's covered so few miles is nothing less than astounding.

McLaren had a better race, looking decidedly frisky throughout... especially Pedro de la Rosa. :p Kimi seemed to be battling understeer throughout not only the race (causing him an off track excursion at one point) but also quali. I'd love to see McLaren just once give Kimi a radical strategy, so that his qualifying isn't as compromised. He's better than Alonso, but McLaren just need to give him the qualifying advantage to get him up there.

Toyota have once again proved they're fully competitive and that Malaysia wasn't a fluke. A really quite incredible turn around from last season when you think about it, obviously Mike Gazza has discovered the Midas touch that Adrian Newey once had, they have arguably the greatest of budgets and resources so hopefully we'll be seeing them fighting for wins sometime this season.

Only thing now is we have to wait 3 weeks until Imola :( it's bad enough waiting for 2 weeks to see how the races and the season are going to pan out, but 3 weeks! :eek:

Role on the summer months though with all those back to back races! :D

Bring em' on ;)

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The highlight for me had to be de la Rosa as well, definitely the most exciting drive of the day. I love JPM, but I'm not sure I wouldn't be sorry to see more of de la Rosa!

Did you see the wear on the Bridgestones? Ouch! Barrichello's rear left was a slick with half the race left. He brought it home, though. Schu's usual luck seems to have run out on the reliability front - Too bad, as iGav pointed out he was definitely in it this time. I expect to see big improvements as the season progresses. Bottom line: Ferrari has got it's pace back, but need time to get reliability/tire issues ironed out.

Bummer about Klien stalling out, Red Bull seems to have a ton of potential.

What happened to Button? My bad US TV coverage showed him stall in the pit twice then pull off as he was exiting pit row, but they didn't talk about much. Gearbox issues? He must be pi**ed, DNF'ing after being in fourth.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Clutch failure. The team say it was on the way out from about lap 20 and it basically gave it up in the pits.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The video we get is the same video seen all over the world my friend. And you won't see bad coverage until the first GP CBS shows this season. I oughta smack Bernie for that... :mad:

As for the race, very disappointing for me. Button DNF'd after looking fairly strong. Rubens almost made the points, but didn't. Klien stalled on the grid, losing me chassis AND engine points. so that's 3 points for chassis/engine thanks to DC, 30 from Rubens (finished 9th, plus 2 points per place for each of the 11 he gained from the grid), and 4 from Bridgestone (Rubens/Tiago).

Just one more day in a pretty ****** weekend. :(

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Video feed, yes, but commentary is provided by the Speed Channel. I like David Hobbs (every time he yells anticipating a crash I laugh), but the token American guy on air sounds like a dolt - we might as well hire Vic Romano from MXC to fill the spot ("right you are, Ken"). Most importantly, the only thing Speed broadcasts is the race, we miss all the post-race interviews and a lot of the other behind-the-scenes stuff that is news overseas.

I didn't know that CBS was going to be broadcasting F1. Better go google it...

I predict it will blow.

12. brap macrumors 68000

Wow, yeah. Definitely exciting, though again through silliness. It's a shame the Ferraris were handicapped with poor setups (and weak gearboxes!) - but at least it gave us chance to see another Alonso masterclass.
    And how about them Toyotas! Yeah, baby. I'm loving every bit of red n' white action up front - especially funny hearing Gascoigne react when he saw Ralphie do a bit of rallying! :p
    BAR - well... tough nuts for them, really. Get it together already, Button's fun to watch, even though I don't like the guy.
    Villeneuve? Well, now I doubt even apologist Brundle will be able to defend him -- the championship was a fluke because he had a weak teammate (Hill), and a far superior car. He straight sucks balls, and shouldn't be in an F1 car. End of story.
    De la Rosa? Well, entertaining it was, but he really should have been further up the rankings. The McLaren was superb - if only he remembered to stop..!

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Except they do... Well, only the question asked by Peter Windsor (who they have do some behind the scenes stuff now earlier in the weekend, not the open floor questions. Besides, I'd rather listen to Bob Varsha than Murray any day. Of course, I'd rather listen to a turbine engine from 3 feet away with no ear protection than Ralph Sheheen.

How right you were. Who the **** cuts to a 3 minute commercial break with 11 laps left, when the two lead cars are fighting like mad?! :mad:

It only took me three weeks to reply! :p

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

LOL, you'll find a lot of agreement there in the Imola Thread - apparently the UK coverage was even worse - cut to comercial with 3 laps remaining! :eek: