The BBC Honey-Pot Infected

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Black&Tan, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Mar 4, 2004

This is just unbelievable. I've always heard how quickly a clean PC can get infected, but to read about the speed and utter devastation...stunning.

It goes without saying, I'm glad I've got a Mac!
  2. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    This would be far more interesting if they put a Windows box, an Ubuntu box, and a Mac side by side and carried out the same test. We know Windows is full of holes and that those holes are well publicised, so surely it would be better copy to see what holes our OS and Linux sufer from(if any), then compare the three.
  3. nbs2 macrumors 68030

Mar 31, 2004
    A geographical oddity
    #3 Every day I get more and more scared of where our world is headed...
  4. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2006
    Yeah this happened yesterday; there was a big thing on how to reduce bugs. I just laugh when people complain of viruses as i havent had one and i wont do for a long time if im on a mac.
  5. Shadow macrumors 68000

Feb 17, 2006
    Keele, United Kingdom
    Apparently there was feature about this on telly. My mum watched it, and she spent the whole journey to school trying (but failing) to convince me that I should get antivirus and a firewall. I explained to her that I had a Mac and didn't need any. People these days :rolleyes:
  6. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    No, they changed the test for today - it's a week-long series that they are running.

Yesterday, they put up the honeypot to see what kind of attacks ran but without letting any of them have access - mainly portscans etc

Today, they actually allowed something to execute to see how easy it was to happen and then to clear up. I think the USB drive was the scariest part...
  7. disconap macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Agreed, the USB drive was some freaky stuff...

I haven't received a functioning virus since os9. Hopefully my world remains that way.
  8. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004

Don't be daft!
    That would go against the BBC's anti Apple thing that's going on at the moment!