The Beastie Boys Broke My Powerbook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by D0ct0rteeth, Jun 17, 2004.

1. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Well I truly regret actually purchasing a copy of the new Beastie Boys album
    to support them.

It seems that Capitol Records has some sort of new copy protection system,
    that automatically, silently, installs "helpful" copy protection software on
    MacOS and Windows as soon as you insert the CD into default systems.
    I'm not sure exactly what it does yet, but I am sure regreting actually
    purchasing said media now... they don't deserve my money if they choose
    to pull stupid stunts like this. Installing software without your permission
    sounds like viral malware behaviour to me. I certainly hope the AV companies
    put signatures into their products for this crap.

They include some sort of uninstaller buried on there for Windows, but
    I see no such thing for MacOS. If anyone has disassembled the
    aforementioned malware already and can save us some time with
    instructions on how to remove it... thanks in advance.

2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

If its not even doing anything then why are you worrying about it? If there is no Mac uninstaller then there is probably to Mac installer right?

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

exact same reason why i did not purchase the Velvet Revolver cd, instead i got it from iTunesMS, it should have said something on the packaging though, i think that is a legal requirement for the copy-protected cds....

4. nerd macrumors member

If true, this really sucks. The BBoys are one of my favorite things and copy protection is one of my least favorite things.

I googled for "Beastie Boys" and "copy protection" and found a couple of interesting things...

1. Apparently the US and UK versions don't have this protection on them...according to Mike D himself (or at least third-hand internet Mike D).

2. A post identical to D0ct0rTeeth's appeared on insecure.org. Who's cutting and pasting? Is there widespread panic...or is this Sabotage? (Note clever BBoys reference.)

5. D0ct0rteeth thread starter macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Most likely mine is a copy of theirs.. I am posting on behalf of a friend..

- Doc

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

at least the cd is for sale on the iTMS so you can get some sort of handle and knowledge about the copy protection, and at least know that it is their if you choose to go that route

7. ratspg macrumors regular

whats up with this?

it's $9.99 for the cd.. and $14.85 on the iTMS? what is that about?

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i didnt know it was that price on the iTMS, thats just shady then by the Beastie Boys or their Record Label

9. wide macrumors 6502a

this has been going on for a long time......for certain videos, windows media player makes you install something called DRM (digital rights management). i installed it because i couldn't watch the video otherwise. it shouldn't hurt your computer or your music files, though. they do not have a right to browse through your computer and look at your MP3 and AAC audio files--that would be an invasion of privacy. also, the DRM software would not which files are actually real, in the sense that you might have renamed certain songs, etc....

overall, i'm telling you (or your friend) not to worry. a lot of CDs are coming with this now, which is another advantage to the iTMS. unless you can add your ripped beastie boys songs into your account in the iTMS (so that they have five licenses and all other attributes of a iTunes downloaded song, people are going to start to get really, really pissed at record companies.