'The Beat Goes On' Rumor Roundup

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 4, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last week, Apple sent out invitations for a media event on September 5th, 2007. The invitations pictured Apple's Cover Flow interface as well as a scene from the Mi Swing Es Tropical iPod ad. The caption on the invite reads "The beat goes on." Based on this alone, it seems clear that Apple will be updating their iPod line which has been long overdue.

In the months leading up to this event, however, we've seen a surprising amount of evidence pointing to specific changes to Apple's iPod line.

In evaluating rumors for accuracy, we typically rely on the previous accuracy of the source - whether its a website or an individual. Historically, however, the most telling sign of a rumor's legitimacy has been Apple Legal's involvement.

iPod Nano

Apple's legal team got involved in two specific instances in the past few months.

In July, we posted user interface videos for the upcoming iPod revision. The authenticity of the videos was the topic of much debate... until Apple asked several sites, including Youtube, to pull the videos. The video interface reflected a more animated interface, with the addition of several features such as Cover Flow and iPhoto Events.

In July, 9to5mac first posted a mockup of shorter/wider looking iPods. Though initially met with skepticism, ThinkSecret corroborated the design in late July. 9to5 later posted expected colors of the Nano as well as spy photos. The photos drew the attention of Apple Legal and resulted in a number of sites receiving cease and desist letters to remove the leaked photo. The photo essentially confirmed the shorter ratio of the upcoming Nano and led to a number of mockups.

While some will continue to argue that these interfaces and photos simply represent prototypes that Apple never intends to ship, we feel its far more likely that these do represent iterations of the new iPod Nano design which will be released tomorrow.

iPod Touch

If we assume that 9to5 had legitimate information about the iPod Nano, we should pay special attention to their claims of a full size iPod which they are calling the iPod Touch. This revision (mocked up here) claims to be a thicker, iPhone-like device with OS X with a 480x320 pixel screen.

Wireless

Last week, we initially reported on the possibility of wireless connectivity in the iPod. This week additional reports have claimed that Wifi and possibly digital radio will be coming to the new iPods.

Based on the increasing number of reports as well as tidbits we've heard, it seems very likely that the iPods will finally gain some wireless connectivity.

Other

Other possibilities tossed around include Ringtones, Beatles, and Apple producing its own content.

Coverage

We will not be able to provide MacRumorsLive coverage for this event, but will link to other sources of live coverage as the event approaches.

We also offer the following options:

- SMS Updates for those unable to watch the event live.
    - Spoiler Free Keynote Stream for those who want to watch the keynote and be surprised.

MacRumors.com will be updated during the event with new announcements, and our forums will remain open for live reaction and discussion about the announcements.

Article Link

2. macrumors member

newguineafan

3. macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

4. macrumors 68040

5. macrumors 6502

BKKbill

Wireless connectivity in the iPod my daughter will just love this. I'm interested in what Sept. 5 will bring. Not long now.

6. macrumors 6502a

iPhone v iPod

Question: As there is speculation that the iPods will have WiFi and thus a possibility to connect wirelessly to the iTunes store to purchase music (and some speculation that there might be wireless syncing via bluetooth in the works), will this capability be added via iTunes and a new iTunes mobile store for the iPhone as well? As an iPhone owner, I would hate to see features released for new iPods but not incorporated into the pricier and well equipped iPhone line. Just curious on any thoughts. Thanks!

7. macrumors 65816

iJawn108

8. macrumors member

newguineafan

If there is a wireless store for the iPod though, I'm 100% sure they WILL update the iPhone with a firmware update. Apple will be careful and give the iPhone more capability. What do y'all think (in the words of a southerner!)

9. macrumors 6502a

nemaslov

Maybe Apple will market this film with the new widescreen iPod since the remasterd and restored DVD comes out end of October (just announced today). Now I really doubt Beatles music will come out on iTunes tomorrow...

THE BEATLES' HELP!

The DVD will be a 2-disc set. Disc 1 will feature the original film digitally restored with a newly created 5.1 soundtrack, while Disc 2 contains an hour of extra features, including:

*The Beatles in Help! – 30 minute documentary about the making of the film with *Richard Lester, the cast and crew. Includes exclusive behind the scenes footage of *The Beatles on set.
    *A Missing Scene – Featuring Wendy Richard
    *The Restoration of Help! – An in depth look at the restoration process.
    *Memories of Help! – The cast and crew reminisce
    *Theatrical Trailers – 2 US trailers and 1 Spanish trailer.
    *1965 US Radio Spots - Hidden in disc menus.
    *There will be 2 editions of the DVD - a standard digipack and a deluxe boxed set that will contain a reproduction of Richard Lester's original annotated script, 8 lobby cards and a poster, plus a 60-page book with rarely seen photographs and production notes from the movie.

Both the deluxe book and the standard booklet feature an introduction by Richard Lester and an appreciation by Martin Scorsese.

10. macrumors newbie

I'm surprised that nobody has suggested that there could possibly be a built in camera to the iPod. It'd be a minimal cost increment if the OSX rumours are true (they've already written the software for the iPhone).

Granted, I specifically want a camera in the iPod as I'm actually planning to buy an iPod (my first ever).

11. macrumors 6502a

Hey there, I hope so, I just asked a similar question to any one who may have a better idea. :)

12. Retired

psychofreak

13. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

14. macrumors 6502a

Hmmmm, I don't know. I would think that Apple would want to differentiate the iPhone from the iPod as to separate sales as much as possible. If the iPod came with a camera as the iPhone, the only difference with all the possible additions would be just the phone aspect (primarily). That would start to infringe upon those that want an iPhone but would settle for an iPod without the phone features, most likely resulting in people not switching and experiencing a product they normally would not consider and liking it.

15. macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

WiFi will kick ass!

THe SMS service, will this work in UK, and will it be free? :rolleyes:

16. macrumors regular

kfury77

that's a good point actually. Steve Jobs did say publically recently that there would be some Apple TV news "soon".

17. macrumors member

I just want a HDD based iPod Touch....anything else is gravy.

18. macrumors 68000

seenew

I'm hoping for a widescreen "touch" iPod for under $500..

19. macrumors 603

Markleshark

I hope the UI doesn't feature album artwork too much.

20. macrumors Core

should be an interesting event. but i'm not going to set my hopes high.

21. macrumors member

I didn't know until today that this was being held at the Moscone Center, I thought it was located at Apple like the last one 0_o

Does anyone else think that the announcement is going to be more then just the ipod? I'm thinking new os as well as a new version of Logic Pro (God knows that software needs work). I'm so excited!

22. macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

an iPhone without the phone...UNDER $300, more storage, bluetooth would be cool, WiFi would be killer.... I might think about it.

So, we wait.....

23. macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

I do. Once you decide to pretty up your iTunes with all artwork, it adds so much. I cant wait to flip through my albums using coverflow. Its my favorite part of the iPhone.

24. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

OK, so WHO is covering this live? Engadget? Gizmodo? Anyone know?

25. macrumors 6502a

New OS? What, like Leopard? :rolleyes: