Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
that's a good point actually. Steve Jobs did say publically recently that there would be some Apple TV news "soon".

I'm sure they'll announce something, but it will probably be relatively minor.

Probably a software update, maybe some additional content (HD or at least higher resolution from the iTunes store?), maybe a minor spec boost like bigger hard drive. I wouldn't expect much more than that.

While I'd love to see the long overdue Logic 8 update tomorrow, I'm not getting my hopes up. They have a ton to announce already, and it wouldn't fit in that well.

AES convention is a possible candidate, october 5-8 http://www.aes.org/

They'll probably have Leopard running on the demo macs, and maybe mention a couple music/media specific features, stuff like integration or streaming. But little Leopard info if any, I wouldn't be surprised if it's nothing but "By the way, these macs are running Leopard and it rocks..."

you keep on saying this but every single apple product is much more expensive than its non-apple counterpart. do you have any examples of this not happening?

Sure. A number of ipods have been competitive or cheaper than similar options. Just look at the zune, same price as the 30 gig ipod. Same goes for pc's with xeon chipsets similar to the mac pros.

Andrew07

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2007
I was thinking about this last night...

Since the new iPods will run a version of OSX, do you guys think it could require a paid update to Leopard when it comes out?

Also, WiFi in the iPhone and in iPods is cool and all, but after owning my iPhone for a month i have YET to find a WiFi spot that is free and has over one bar. So although EDGE can be painfully slow, it still allows me to browse the internet while away from the computer. So do you all think its likely that Apple will develop its own sort of wireless service (for a fee) that could be incorporated into the iPhone and iPod?

newguineafan

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
iPod Touch (8GB, 16GB, and perhaps, but unlikely 32GB) Wi-Fi with access limited to iTMS and for software updates. No SMS, No Camera, No Safari, No Mail. $349, $399, $499.

By what you are saying, it seems like you are predicting the new iPod will have flash. I do think it's likely, but they're probably going to reserve touchscreen for their top-of-the-line model since it's the best tech. If it's top of the line, it will have more storage. More storage= HDD.

My predictions (yet again):

iPod Shuffle
Same, lowered price.

iPod nano
Bigger HD, looks like FatPod, lower price, video capabilities

iPod touch
Touchscreen, Wifi, OS X, very big capacity, prices don't go high (here come the arguments :) )

havenhamilton

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2005
iPod Touch (8GB, 16GB, and perhaps, but unlikely 32GB) Wi-Fi with access limited to iTMS and for software updates. No SMS, No Camera, No Safari, No Mail. $349, $399, $499.

why would they release a fullscreen video player with less space than the device that is more dedicated to music?

Evan_11

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2004
My wishes...

I'd like to see a:

120gig iPod
3.5" touch-screen
AppleTV UI
Wi-Fi
New dock with hdmi and component output.
$499

This type of iPod would basically eliminate the need for an AppleTV though. However I think a lot of people would love to buy it because it eliminates the need for one extra device (AppleTV) while adding functionality to an existing device (iPod).

Rick America

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2007
I agree. "Crippled WIFI" (no browser/Safari internet access, iTMS only) would not be a game-changer...are people leaving Apple iPod because wireless iTMS access is not available? Crippled WIFI would not create the hype Apple craves and executes so well.

I think everyone is missing the significance of the Moscone Center announcement --- this will be a BIG event, not just a standard product upgrade. Anything short of building off the iPhone as a starting point will actually work against Apple by giving its competitors (the current one and new ones --- think Google with G-Phone...and there will be lots more) hope and legitimacy in the marketplace. Such an announcement would bring Apple down to their level --- while every other MAJOR (Moscone) announcement has distanced Apple well ahead of their competition.

If these announcement are seen as "crippled" in any way or, worse yet, seen as poor self-serving announcements aimed solely at "protecting" the iPhone, I think it will actually drive prospective buyers to try some other vendors' offerings since any meaningful differentiation would not be there.

Uh yeah...right. If it has WiFi and they try and cripple it, it will get hacked and Apple's "regime" will get overruled. Firefox and a mail client will get loaded. Why try and fight it? Why try and cripple a device when you know it will get hacked. A better strategy is to give your customer everything they wanted and more - not less. Less makes you look like an idiot. If they put Wifi on it, they may as well go the Full Monty and put Safari and a mail client on it. I would think Steve would rather you use Safari, than hack it and load Firefox.

newguineafan

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
Since the new iPods will run a version of OSX, do you guys think it could require a paid update to Leopard when it comes out?

No, and here's why:

1) The iPhone runs on OS X as well, but we haven't heard anything about upgrades for the iPhone.

2) We're not talking about a Mac OS X, we're talking about an iPod OS X. That means, the Mac versions don't apply to the iPod versions. Look at the iPhone, that has OS X, but it's completely different from the Mac operating system.

3) OS X is not defined. That means, Apple can put a label on anything and call it "OS X", but that doesn't mean it's an advanced operating system. Apple could even put a label on the current iPod UI and call it OS X.

I do think there will be minor firmware updates, but nothing as drastic and unneccesary as a paid Leopard update. The OS's are two different things.

Ovs

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
Uhh, okay. Let's start with computers.
Look at the iMac, many more features than PC counterparts, faster, webcam, so on. Priced at $1199. I know for a FACT that many PCs are either this price or much more expensive, but have less features.

Not true. PCs generally have more features. In my opinion too many features. That's one of the reasons why I prefer a Mac. A friend recently purchased a PC for less than the price of an iMac. It’s a good machine, with relatively high specs.

It depends on what features you're looking for. No it didn’t come with a webcam, but it did come with 2GB of ram, a very good graphics card, multicard reader, 2 DVD drives, more inputs, speakers, subwoofer, and host of other bits and bobs.

Personally I wouldn’t buy it, but mostly because I prefer Mac OS and I don’t particularly need or want all those extra features.

But I don't think it’s fair to say one has less features than the other, like I said, it just depends on what you're after.

Arslanoff

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2007
Guys, when it will be available in the UK after tomorrow launch? May be week or two or just after the launch?

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
let's hope the "phoneless iphone" *doesn't* materialise

Question: As there is speculation that the iPods will have WiFi and thus a possibility to connect wirelessly to the iTunes store to purchase music (and some speculation that there might be wireless syncing via bluetooth in the works), will this capability be added via iTunes and a new iTunes mobile store for the iPhone as well? ...
What you are pointing out here is a large part of the reason why there is so much speculation about WiFi features and what will be included etc.

At this point no one knows, but personally I hope that the iPod doesn't try to be a "phoneless iPhone" as it would confuse the whole issue of what the heck it is you are buying anyway. It seems to me that if the "phone-less iphone" becomes reality, then all you will have is two broken products each of which containing a flaw that the other addresses.

- the sexy iPhone will have a cousin that does almost everything it does, be about the same price, but store at least ten times the amount of data.

- the new widescreen iPod will be like an improved iPhone except for that one naggling detail (that it won't be able to do anything at all if your not in a wi-fi hotspot.)

You will have two products, that are almost identical, and each will be that perfect portable device (except for the giant glitch in each). The consumer is then forced to chose between two almost identical yet hobbled devices, neither one being exactly what is needed.

Here's hoping that this doesn't happen, and that the iPod focuses on music functions.

I am surprised to see that the round up of coverage above doesn't even mention the rumours of a different kind of radio from standard WiFi or bluetooth and the rumours of kiosks in Starbucks and other places. These, or other solutions, could give users the ability to share, stream, and purchase media without necessarily hooking them up to the internet. It would also account for the large media presence if Apple was about to bring out some partners in music distribution.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
It seems to me that if the "phone-less iphone" becomes reality, then all you will have is two broken products each of which containing a flaw that the other addresses.

That assumes that the "phone-less iphone" will have hard drive and more capacity. It's entirely possible that ALL ipods announced tomorrow will have flash.

It's also possible, although nobody has mentioned it, that there may be an update to the iPhone, even though it's still very new.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
HD based iPods possible

I'm convinced the touch screen iPod will be flash based - similar spec to the iPhone. It makes no sense otherwise. ....
I think HD based iPods make sense. It's really about the price of storage. The NAND systems have benefits like longer battery life and so forth, but the *reason* for going with them, or for not going with them, is likely going to be price isn't it?

Considering that most are speculating in the 120 - 160 Gig range of capacity, and considering that the only physical spec we have heard about the new iPod touch is that it's "thicker"....

HD based touch iPods are totally within the realm of possibility.

newguineafan

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
Not true. PCs generally have more features. In my opinion too many features. That's one of the reasons why I prefer a Mac. A friend recently purchased a PC for less than the price of an iMac. It’s a good machine, with relatively high specs.

It depends on what features you're looking for. No it didn’t come with a webcam, but it did come with 2GB of ram, a very good graphics card, multicard reader, 2 DVD drives, more inputs, speakers, subwoofer, and host of other bits and bobs.

Personally I wouldn’t buy it, but mostly because I prefer Mac OS and I don’t particularly need or want all those extra features.

But I don't think it’s fair to say one has less features than the other, like I said, it just depends on what you're after.

Yes, but are all of those extra features on a PC crappy? :D

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
Who said it was an iPod -Only event? Apple certainly havn't and I think it's for them to decide what kind of event it is.

Personally, a WiFi -enabled iPod would be good. Mail. iTMS. Anything more = iPhone.

:apple:

Parky

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
It may just be coincidence, but it was 45 years ago today (4th Sept) that the Beatles recorded their first single 'Love Me Do'.

It was first released on the 5th October 1962 in the Uk, maybe that date will be used for the launch of the Beatles content on iTunes or maybe even tomorrow.

45 years is a good anniversary!

Ian

newguineafan

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
Who said it was an iPod -Only event? Apple certainly havn't and I think it's for them to decide what kind of event it is.

Well, if you used common sense, you would know that this is an iPod-related even. Look at the invitation, a person with an iPod! CoverFlow! Album Art! I don't think that they would have those things for something like a Logic Pro release, would you?

Open your eyes, people, open your eyes!

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
It may just be coincidence, but it was 45 years ago today (4th Sept) that the Beatles recorded their first single 'Love Me Do'.

It was first released on the 5th October 1962 in the Uk, maybe that date will be used for the launch of the Beatles content on iTunes or maybe even tomorrow.

45 years is a good anniversary!

Ian

So what did Marvin Gaye's father say to Mavin Gaye? "This is the last 45 you'll ever hear."

Absolultely no connection with the iPod except that I have three albums of his loaded on mine.

Ovs

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
Yes, but are all of those extra features on a PC crappy? :D

All? What, a better graphics card is crappy? That's a new one on me!

Like I said, it depends on what you features you want. I prefer Macs, but I couldn't speak for anyone else. A generalised "Mac is better than PC" argument or vice versa is pretty corny. They're not football teams or loved one, just computers.

jockmock

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
hdd based ipod touch would make more sense. You need the extra space if you're gonna watch movies on it, which you are if you're buying a player with a large screen. If you don't need to watch movies, buy the nano.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.