The Belated Cricket World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Jasonbot, Apr 10, 2007.

?

Do you watch cricket?

1. Yes Indeed

28 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. No!

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. What is that???

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

A thread, for the world cup in West Indies.

I'm backing my country South Africa but honestly I think we might just scrape semi's and thats it. For the finals, maybe NZ vs. Australia? What does Macrumors think? Does anyone heer even watch cricket? I'll include a poll for that..

2. macrumors 68040

i'm pissed that india are out.. but to be honest.. even if they got thru, they wouldn't of made the semi's!!

i see windies are in for a very tuff battle right now against your team JasonBot.

Like you Jason, predict the AUS vs NZ final.. but with the Kiwi's pulling it off.. they deserve it!!

England Bangladesh tomorrow.. should be good..

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Yeah, showing the windies what we're made of... 5 sixes by Mark Boucher, 14x runs by AB de villiers, 3rd fastest 50 in the tournament...and that just the batting!

Although our performance vs. BAngladesh was a joke, I mean that game was so useless. unbelievable :eek:

4. macrumors 68020

pknz

I have to admit I haven't been watching as much of it as I should. Really only catching the ends of matches as they start at 1.15am. But on holiday now so should be able to see see NZ *hopefully* triumph.

5. Moderator emeritus

Of course they do; it'll be fitting revenge for the Chappell brothers' actions over 25 years ago. Some of us have long memories; not that I'm biased of course. ;)

Nothing like stuffing the Aussies; especially crabs.

6. macrumors 6502a

Ah ... we all come out of the woodwork for this one! Where were you when THE ball was "bowled"? I was in my flat in Sydney. Couldn't believe it.

Anyway, another rah rah for NZ - I think they have an outside chance but Australia, as always, is very impressive.

7. thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

:( That was before my time... Why wass this such an upset?

8. macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

It's been a pretty disappointing tournament up till now, not to mention Woolmer's death, but hopefully we can get some good games in the rest of the Super8 and the last four.

South Africa were overrated at the beginning of the tournament, as were England's chances, and Australia sorely understimated. The West Indies performed to expectations IMO.

The obvious choice would be Australia to win, but a very knowledgeable mate of mine has said New Zealand could well do it. I'd put Sri Lanka and the South Africa as third and fourth to win.

9. macrumors 6502a

In Wikipedia here.

One day game between Australia and NZ. It was the last ball of the last over to 10th batsman McKechnie. NZ needed six to tie and McKechnie (also an All Black) was a big hitter although usually short-lived at the crease. Greg Chappel - the captain - ordered is brother Trevor to bowl underarm to eliminate any possibility that McKechnie might hit the ball out of the ground.

10. thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Wow, isn't that an illegal ball and should be counted as a no-ball? surely it can't be right. An offence to cricket and to the Australian team indeed:eek:

11. macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

Back in the day it wasn't but after the outcry they changed the rules...

12. Moderator emeritus

Volatile and terrifying lot, us Kiwis. ;)

Just at a cursory glance, we've been underrated for this tournament by some commentators, including Jonathan Agnew.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/other_international/new_zealand/6377031.stm

13. macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

He praises Fleming too though. Aggers is a bit like the whole English team with his commentary. A bit hit and miss!! ;)

I think New Zealand have a tendency to instill a bit of doubt in teams, particularly England and Australia who they've beaten several times in the last couple of months. Ok, so the Chappel Hadley series was a damp squib, but NZ came very close to beating Australia in the CB series and they beat us there too.

They shouldn't be underestimated.

England had another poor showing today. We're not playing well at all.

14. macrumors G4

Chundles

God it's taking ages. Still got over 2 weeks left. This one match per day thing is ridiculous.

Anyhoo, Go Straya. (pigeon coos in the background)

15. macrumors 6502

Aust v NZ in the final. I fully expect everyone to talk up NZ's chances in the finals and then for Aust to respond with a repeat the 2003 World Cup final demolition job.

16. macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Yeah I agree, considering only 16 teams started it's a stupidly long tournament.

17. thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I think just just have one match p/day because their entire population is so small that they can only fill one stadium and need to rotate/shift the crowd around the Islands.

18. macrumors 6502

That doesn't really work in reality. People tend to follow the one team... I can't see Aussies or the barmy army flying to another island just to see sri lanka v Bangladesh or NZ v Ireland. I think the one match/per day was to keep the tv stations happy.

19. macrumors 601

Don't panic

why? isn't the declared purpose of a cricket game to bore the opponents out of competition? same with the tourney

20. macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Wow, Sri Lanka knock New Zealand about. Hmmm, they are looking mighty strong after this win. Knew I should have but Sangga or Jay in my fantasy cricket team!

Australia v Sri Lanka final anyone?

21. macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Troll. ;)

22. macrumors 6502a

jbernie

As an Aussie .. i will say we will win. We got our crap games out of the way losing to poms and kiwis in the one dayers back home and in NZ. Now that the rubbish games have been played it is full steam ahead.

The tournament is way too long. 2 games per day in the super 8s would be a huge improvement. I don't know who paid the $$$ to keep the games per day at the absolute minimum. Right about now we should be done with the super 8s. Yet the Aussies are playing through the 20th, only 3 games, including 1 tomorrow.

As to the finalists... Australia seems to strong right now, NZ was looking real good till that got spanked by Sri Lanka, England is borderline out, Sri Lanka seems to be doing good, a little quiet, Sth Africa embarassed themselves the other day. Of course... the semi finals will play into that... if the points go right the semis could be SA vs SL and AU vs NZ.

As good as it is for cricket to see Australia lose occasionally (the ashes) I'm not confident that any one team has been consistant enough in the WI to really beat them. Though stranger things have happened.

23. macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Sadly I have to agree with all of that. As for England, they may as well be on holidays at one of those plush weekends they get thrown all the time.

They've shown no conviction, no consistency and the majority of the players have failed to rise to the occasion or come anywhere close. The cricket world cup bears uncanny resemblance to the football one for us and I can't for the life of me figure out why we repeatedly do so bad in either sport.

We have the players, and in Vaughn we've even got a decent captain (no such luck for the footy team). But still, they just don't perform.

Maybe for the cricket team it's been too many matches of getting walloped (the Ashes) and the CB series up to a point (We were getting our backsides handed to us up until the latter stages). But the difference between Australia, both performances and attitudes, is galaxies. I'm sick of hearing English sports players saying, "we know we didn't perform, we've got to do better, we're all hurting... blah blah blah...". Jut get up there and do what you've been picked to do!!

/rant over.

24. macrumors 6502a

jbernie

Interesting game today with Sri Lanka resting top bowlers against Australia. Very disappointing that they didn't try and play the full team and put up a true fight.

Seems as though Aust will finish up in first place in the 8's and every one else will be fighting to be #2 or 3 to avoid being #4 and playing the Aussies in the semi final.

The way many of top teams play it seems as though being #2 is the achievement, not #1. if you don't take on the Aussies you will never beat them, same thing is happening in the test match series, a 4 day test is an achievement and a 5 day test is front page news.

Don't want the Aussies to lose, but the Cup is boringly long and underwhelming with excitement.

Though Kudos to the Sri Lankan tailenders, if not for them then they would have been done for about 180, throwing the bat and getting some fours and sixes did make the match a bit more interesting.

25. macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

It's an interesting tactic as Australia now won't have any experience against SL's top two bowlers should Malinga come back and the two sides meet in the final four.

But there's no doubting it further devalues what's already been a pretty worthless World Cup. Ponting said yesterday they were "at the sharp end" of the tournament. It looked pretty blunt to me and the lack of fight and competition for Australia is embarrassing for the rest of the cricketing world.

My hopes are mid-high for this evening's clash with England Vs South Africa, but we'll see. There are lots of potentially good matches in the final four so all is not completely lost - yet.