The Best Compression Software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by WhiteKnuckles, Feb 6, 2004.

1. WhiteKnuckles macrumors newbie

Feb 3, 2004
    Inside a mac
    What is the best compression software? Stuffit? GZ? Zipit? or ???
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Re: The Best Compression Software?

Look. Your Mac ships with Stuffit Expander. Every update of MacOS X also ships with Stuffit Expander. Apple has now built ZIP into MacOS X 10.3. You just select a file and then select the File>Create Archive of "File Name" menu item to get a ZIP archive faster than you can say "Jackie Robinson." I have the latest release of Stuffit, Stuffit Deluxe 8.0.2. This is not anything to fret over. You already have as much archiving software as you need. Now run along and do some real work with your computer.
  3. WhiteKnuckles thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 3, 2004
    Inside a mac
    Damm dont beat me with my old PC parts im a newbie broke my cherry with a G3 ibook (2nd hand) and trying to get a handle on the crossover. Seriously I appreciate all the help this forum has given me . Mac users are a diffrent breed i just needed a push in to the macworld ( not a plug) to find out for myself but im getting there.
  4. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    I tried some other third party compressor/expander and it was awful. Slow to launch and do its job. Stick with Stuffit Expander. It works like a charm.

Welcome to the Macintosh community. :)
  5. ZeppelinArmada macrumors member

Mar 26, 2003
    Mostly here
    If you use the command line then you have several good options: there is the open source bzip and there is also a command line version of the rar compressor/decompressor.
    You can obtain the former through fink(99% sure its still there) and the later from Rar Labs.

Both bzip and rar have a noticeably better compression rate than either zip or gzip formats.
  6. Orleck macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2012
    Besides you being incredibly rude in your answer, you are also VERY wrong. The built in compression tool, like any free software, is not to the caliber of commercial compression. The point of compressing a file or files is to make them use less disk space. Compress a file or files with the built in archive function and you don't save much space. Download a compressed file from any major software maker and they magically got their files compressed to almost half of the actual data contained within? Yes, there is a very big difference in the free compression and commercial compression.

To answer the question, it depends on what you are compressing? Will it be movie files, pictures or just general documents? Certain file types because of their construction will not change in size by much if you compress them. So depending on what you are doing will help you decide if you need to go towards a commercial product or use the built in standards.
  7. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    You do realise, that this is an eight year old thread, don't ya?

May we know, what your agenda is? Often these necropostings are just used for posting SPAM.
  8. Merlin748 macrumors newbie

May 8, 2012
    There is a new compression app called MoreSpace. It uses HFS+ filesystem compression, the compressed files can be accessed as usual, no need put them to an archive file.