Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
Ok, its not made yet, but I've just had the idea, and I can't get it out of my head, so I'm gonna write it down, let me know what you think.

Ok, for starters, think doodling, and imagine you have a wacom tablet too. Now, I'm the type of guy who likes a clean desktop, so no annoying stickies, stock tickers, or weather reports. I use Butler cause I like it up there in the menu bar where things belong. However, I occasionally have great idea (yeah right), need to write things down, and generally want to sketch things occasionally, or write something on my to do list. Problem is, I don't want to have all sorts of apps open up on my nice screen.

So, imagine you had a dashboard widet that covered your whole desktop, only its completely transparent. Of course you would need to have it activate somehow and turn off somehow, so you could still click on files and volumes on your desktop, but maybe it could only cover the part of one's desktop not used by icons.

Then, you just sketch things on it, like a doodle, or a small sketch of how you want to design something, or maybe you write out something to do, prehaps it could include apple's inkwell tecknology. It would be exactly like drawing, right on your dektop, or writing right on it, like an etch-a-sketch or something. It would just appear in slightly opaque white lines over everything else on your desktop.

Then, and here's the cool part, when you're done, by hitting a hot key or something, the widget would automatically draw a box around your drawing or text, leaving a bit of a border so it doesn't look annoying, and it would "separate" from the desktop and become its own little sticky, that you can drag around and move (but it still has a transparent background).

It gets even better. You can leave it on your desktop, or drag it off to some application on the dock or whatever. Maybe it can interface with butler, and you can drag it off to a corner of the screen, or hit a key and a menu comes up, and you send it to a favorite app. For instance, you can send sketches to Illustrator or photoshop, or hit cmd-x and have them sent to the clipboard, or to some sort of sticky app. Or, if it recognizes your handwriting, you can send it to iCal, Word, a to-do list. You can move them around, delete them, or push them to the edge of the screen to look at later.

So the basic idea would be to get rid of bits of apps sticking out on your desktop, and just draw right on it and then send it to the apps you want, instead of opening them and adding each thing individually.

Ok, maybe I'm not explaining it so well, but you'll get the idea. Yes, I realize I just thought of sketching on my desktop when i like it clean, but its little bits of apps that bother me, not my own sketches. I'm sure people can think of better uses for this idea than me, so let me know what you think.

Oki

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2004
San Marcos, TX
Interesting idea. I think that's a little much for a widget, and you gotta remember, not everyone has a Graphire laying around.

However, I think it's a really neat idea if you have to write something down immediately, or make a sketch, or whatever.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
If you know HTML, Javasciprt, and or CSS you can make a widget.

Thats a neat idea, you should work on it if you know H,J,C (listed above).

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
It says, if you have a basic knowledge of HTML, JS, and CSS, you can make wigdets... I'll check Apple tomorrow on that, but thats what it says. Heck, I could make some awesome widgets.

EDIT:
[url]http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/dashboard/[/url] said:
For Developers

Create your own widgets. Transitions, animation and visual effects are just a few of the amazing visual feats that make widgets as eye-popping as they are useful. Because widgets are based on the same popular technologies used to create web pages — HTML, Javascript and CSS — you can extend them to take advantage of many Tiger technologies, including Core Image.

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
Alas, I am code averse. However, if anyone wants to try, go ahead. Plus I just thought of something. I originally thought of the desktop of the place to draw sketches because its nice and blue and clean, but i suppose you could draw on top of any program if you hit a hot key. You can sketch right on web pages, etc.

Hisui

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
All I really want is something that is like the Post it widget only you are allowed to doodle on it or draw using the wacom and or mouse. It would be awesome if it was also pressure sensitive as to register the wacom pen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.