The best desktop computer accessory - a good chair!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by APPLENEWBIE, Mar 3, 2007.

1. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

Recently, I have been avoiding my iMac. It was simply more comfortable to take the laptop and plop into a comfy chair. Then, I realized the problem. The chair in front of the imac was a $39 office max chair that was mucho lousy. I searched around for a better solution. The new chairs I found were either no better or a lot more $ than I wanted to spend. I went to a used office furniture store and found my answer... a used Herman miller Equa chair (see attachment). Got it for $70. SO much better than the old chair. Do you have a favorite chair that keeps you in the saddle? What is it?

Attached Files:

2. nickweston macrumors member

Obus Forme

Ok, I did ALL the research a few years ago and found a hands-down winner, the Obus Forme.
    These chairs are expensive, but not as expensive as the GROSSLY overrated Aeron Chair.

The back is flexible and is the most comfortable chair I've ever sat in, period. It was designed by a back doctor.

Everyone in my studio comments on these chairs and asks how to order one. Mine were about $750 each, and it was one of the best investments I ever made.

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I've got a $10 plastic patio furniture chair from Wal-Mart.

Yeah, I'm classy.

4. polevault139 macrumors 6502

I sit on a card table chair, even though it does suck it gets the job done.

5. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I have some black computer chair from Office Depot that was on sale for $29.

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

7. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

I saw a similar chair but less expensive, definately a nice chair.
    I like how it's mesh because in summer i allways get hot sitting in a fabric chair, and sweat tonnes on a plastic chair.

8. copperhead macrumors member

haha i have the Aeron Chair. It's really nice...probably because I didn't buy it though. My dad went to an auction and got 4 of them for $1200 combined, all new.

it's basically that first link, but that one looks newer. the one i have is a couple years older than that

9. jonharris200 macrumors 6502

jonharris200

Weird. I was only today thinking how well my own chair serves me. I spent around £30-40 on a decent office chair when I set up my business 18 months ago. I figured I'd be spending a lot of time sitting in it, best to make a small investment. High back, comfortable contours, height adjustable, and WHEELS. It's done me proud.

10. APPLENEWBIE thread starter macrumors 6502a

You are referring to the Aeron chair. I have one of those at my office. Also got it used for $300 a couple years ago. It is truly wonderful and comfy, as long as you get one with the detachable lumbar pad (or order it later.) One odd thing about the Aeron is that your back and butt can get cold since there is no insulation/padding. Probably the best $300 tool in my office!

11. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

in the summer i don't think i would mind being a little cooler:cool:
    if i had one and got cold i would just put my coat over it.

12. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

13. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

looks comfy!

14. jonharris200 macrumors 6502

jonharris200

Looks to me more like an instrument of torture! Think different indeed. ;)

15. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I had an AERON at my desk for about two years before i switched jobs. I mean its a nice chair and I love the level of customobility ... but at the same time I didn't think it was ever that special or worth its cost ... that was just me.

16. APPLENEWBIE thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have to agree that I wouldn't have bought if it was only available new, at retail. Lots of other good options for a lot less than $1000. Another thing to consider with chairs like steelcase and herman miller, they tend to last forever. My aeron is now 9 years old and looks / works like new. I just looked under the Equa, it was built in 1992! Looks almost perfect!

17. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

I recently bought one of these (Stokke Variable) and it's pretty cool. Lets you rock backwards and forwards, and you can't slouch

Attached Files:

18. MacAnkka macrumors regular

I used to have a chair kinda like that. It was surprisingly comfortable. Unfortunately I don't know what happened to it...

19. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

All of you that got Aeron chairs cheap a couple of years ago, was that from when Enron went bust?

They had a big auction here in london of ex-enron stuff. I thought about going, but my boss at the time said nah everything would be over-priced cos of all the publicity. (And it had a way over-glossy catalogue too :)

I saw an Aeron in a second-hand store in Brick Lane a couple of weeks ago - about £200. I had a sit in it, my first time ever. Not bad, but not £200 worth - it was dirty, scuffed, one part of fabric was threadbare, one armrest was broken. Still priced at 5x the price of any other chair in that store :eek:

Wouldn't like to buy one of these without a manual, they seem like complex beasts to set up.

Someone I work with is from Denmark, and has just brought herself a big plastic air inflated posture support cushion for about £50. One of these Scandinavian health and posture things. It goes on your regular chair and you sit on top of it and balance on it. I tried it out for a day - quite nice actually, and well worth £50 for a more healthy back.

20. Lynxpoint macrumors regular

Lynxpoint

21. frogfroggy macrumors member

"Sorry for double post" !!! How do I delete messages?

22. frogfroggy macrumors member

Im using those pezzoballs for like 2~4 hours of computerwork but if I study like for <6 hours straight I then use a chair, just a normal chair, which is hard, has no cushion and no arm bending things...

23. nutts macrumors member

I've sat in Aeron chairs at 2 of my previous jobs, and I loved them, so when I was looking for a chair for my new job - working from home - it was a natural choice.

It was the best £350 I've spent on my office set-up. After all, if I'm going to spend £1500 on a MBP, £350 on a chair that I'll be sitting in for 10+ hours a day is hardly expensive, is it.

That's my opinion; my back is worth the money. I got it brand-new off ebay with the manual and caster-protectors still on :D

24. nitynate macrumors 6502a

I sit on my couch with my imac on the coffee table.....

Best "chair" evar. :D

25. neyoung macrumors member

I use my couch as a prime place to put my butt when using my MBP :)