The best & easiest way to backup your files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EricNau, Nov 3, 2005.

1. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I am just looking for a simple way to backup my files to a DVD (or several DVD's), so in case of a problem I have all of my files.
    Preferably, something where after I start from a new HDD, (or whatever the problem might be), I can just click and drag and everything will be just like it was.
    How can I do this? Does such a thing exist? If not, how close can I get to a perfect world?

And yes...I know there are hundreds or threads out there about backing up, but I couldn't find one that had exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for your help. :)

2. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

The best way would be to use an external harddrive, which would be something to consider (even though you said you wanted to use DVD's).

Toast 7 can span data across multiple dvds. You can copy all your important files and your preference files. You'll have to do some work (and keep buying dvds regularly), but it shouldn't be too difficult.

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

4. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I would love to be able to use an external HDD, but at the moment I can't see myself paying for one (limited budget :( ).
    I'll be getting an iPod sometime soon, maybe that'll have enough space to backup my computer, but in the meantime I need to utilize these DVD's.

I was considering just burning my users folder, but would that get everything I need?

5. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

You could, but you'd leave out two libraries and all your applications and more..

Backuping is too much of a PITA for me. I don't understand how you copy it all, then restore it all EXACTLY the way it was. Any idea how to do this one-click style?
    The other thing I'd like that is auto-backup to make the backup match the mac hd exactly, say once a week.

6. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I do monthly backups of my important data to DVD. I just bought Toast Titanium 7 recently, so backing up is much easier now with the disc-spanning feature. I highly recommend Toast 7.

7. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

Apples own Backup utility does a really good job. It has just saved my life after a 10.4.3 update debacle.

8. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

May I suggest that it's a much greater PITA to get everything exactly how it was without a backup.

9. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

lol, well I do have a backup, which is sort of just a copy of everything... How would I transfer it back if my internal HDD died, and was replaced with a new?
    Surely dragging and dropping everything into mac hd and clicking "replace all" wouldn't be good, would it?

10. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Make a bootable copy, boot off the external back up and then use superduper to copy the copy onto the machine...then boot that.

11. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Thanks, but I don't think I can make a bootable copy when the drive has more on it than just backups. Doesn't the external drive have to be exclusively for the bootable backup to make a bootable backup?

12. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Toast 7 looks like it would work, but it costs too much for me... any freebies out there?

13. dmachine macrumors member

dmachine

If you have .mac I would reccoment downloading Backup from their website. You can choose what folders and files to backup and it is very easy.

14. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I have web space through my ISP, so I back up my documents there. I also have space at my university where I backup my school documents more often. I doubt this is safe from a possible intruder, but it's free and available.

15. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If I'm backing up my files, what files should I back up?
    I don't need to back up preferences or applications, just my files.
    Is there anything outside of my users folder that I need to backup?

16. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Just back up what's important to you, things that you wanna keep. That's what I do.

17. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Impression

Go to Versiontracker and download "Impression". It's a great program, and you can run it with Superuser authority to back up everything without a problem. You can select if it should split the last file of one disk to the next or not.

It's shareware, but the fee is well worth it.

:)

18. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

OK, I'm going to try bringing this thread back to life...

I was looking at .mac & iDisk for backup purposes, but 1 GB is just not enough (I have 4 GB of pictures alone + music + documents).

I like the idea of an off-site backup where I can just drag-and-drop files into, and can later be accessed from anywhere.

Are there any alternatives to .mac that give me more storage?

19. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

what about scheduled backup? you specify which folders/files need backing up and at a pre-defined day/time the software backs them up on dvd/external hdd (or wherever)..

does toast 7 do something like this? as I am considering purchasing it..

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You can use Silverkeeper to do that. Free from Lacie.com
    I use Dantz Retrospect to run multiple backup scripts at home and in the office...

21. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

22. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If you have .mac, I believe Apple's Backup software does this.

23. sjshaw macrumors regular

Not a total solution, but BackityMac is a great little program. And it's free.