The best FPS/Adventure game among computers and consoles alike...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Xero, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Xero macrumors 6502

...In my opinion, by a long shot, is now: Metroid Prime. If you are into video games in general, and especially if your a veteran nintendo/super nintendo gamer [EVEN if your not into videogames anymore] you MUST try this game spcifically. i wouldnt be getting this exited about nintendo systems and videogames themselves if it werent for this game. this is THE best videogame in general that i think ive played in a VERY long time, even before i got into PC Games [specifically FPS Games]. man, just think back to playing Super Metroid for SNES, then pop this baby in, you will be blown away by the cinimatic title/opening screens and music by themselves! youll think to yourself, "good god his game is going to kick arse!". and it does, and then some. the graphics kick ass and even impressed me for being on the gamecube [tho im more of a loyal nintendo fan than anything, ive been willing to admit that i didnt think the GC was up to par graphically with the xbox and ps2... until now].

theres extreme attention to detail in this game, especially when it comes to Samus's [the caracter who you play] Visor. If your not familiar with the metroid series, Samus wears a "gravity suit" at all times, and one of the coolest things about Metroid Prime, is that you take on a 1st person perspective RIGHT through samus's eyes. Meaning the visor of her suit is placed in front of you, which has all of your statistic read-outs projected onto it. this is such a cool twist on the FPS genre but im suprized it hasnt been implemented this thouroughly in the past. the visor "lags" behind just alittle when you look around, giving the impression that your "looking" in a direction before you actually move your head and ultimatly the suits helmet[this can be turned off tho]. the visor introduces a whole new layer of perspective in this game and this is why:

Steam and waterfalls cause your visor to fog up a little, and sometimes a lot if you get right into the water source.

Water droplets hit your vizor when its raining, and when you emerge from underwater you can see the water shed off of your visor. The water looks incredibly real, as it relistically bends light from the outside world much like real water does.

Your visor receives "interfearance" or gets "fuzzy" when you get too close to certain electrical energy creatures [remember those weird energy balls from Super Metroid that kind of looked like water molecules and bounced around when you shot them?].

the interface style on the visor that displayes health, ammo, weapons, vision modes, map, aiming reticles etc... very closely resembles that of the Final Fantasy Movie's Holographic type interfaces/technology. this isnt really an "effect", but looks cool as hell! plus there are little ambient "machine" type sounds when you execute sertain commands within your visor, right on.

and by far the coolest effect here, is when your in moody lighting, your in the midst of an intense battle, or there are near by explosions, you can actually see samus's reflection on the visor; her moving/blinking eyes and all.

Some other cool effects are things like space warping around a charged shot that is fired from your arm cannon, and the end of your gun giving off tons of light-bending heat if you fire it exsessivly for a prolonged period of time, how cool is that?

This game proves to me that the GC is truly capable of beautiful graphics, because this game, with all its advanced effects, like the ones i explained, and your more general up to date effects like bump mapping, pixel shaders and real time lighting [much like UT 2003's shadows on guns and objects], even when the action gets thick, this game will NEVER have a noticable frame rate drop, as opposed to probably one of the biggest gripes about nintendos previous console, the N64, in that it almost always felt choppy and underpowered. [wow, check out that run-on sentance!] Metroid Prime is always silky smooth.

what sets this apart from most FPS games, besides visually, is that it goes beyond the average ho-home FPS gameplay we know today. this is a big gripe of mine about PFS games these days, mainly PC games, and that is: [and im talking mainly single-player stuff] it seems the biggest, and often only, exciting advance that your player's outfitting makes, is guns... aquiring more and more guns. you see on game ads and packaging, "50,000 weapons and 500 maps!!!" wheres the depth here? anyone can pull a trigger, wether its a mobile nuke or a BB-Gun. its seems RPG type games have most of the fun in this category. where are all the armour upgrades, weapon mods, vision, speed, jump upgrades, etc etc... i realize in some cases these types of things wouldnt make sense, like a WW2 FPS game, a jumping modification would make no sense at all. but theres definatly a place for these things, like say, Unreal 2. ive heard not-so-exiting things about this game, as far as gameplay and plot development, and there are lots of things that surely could have been done to prevent this.

Metroid Prime, i feel, is giving the FPS genre a much needed kick in the pants! The whole game's world is seemless. As in: it takes you a while to realize when, where, and how, new areas of the game are being loaded [if your not really looking for it], because you never see a loading screen or anything like it. the worlds are huge and include new weapons, weapon mods, missles, missle upgrades, weapon upgrades, new vision modes, new gravity suits and suit upgrades, etc etc... one of the coolest features by far, is the infamous Morph Ball, including its many upgrades. this thing kicks ass, just imagine marble madness in the rich 3D world of Metroid Prime, with morph bombs, and halfpipes, mmmm halfpipes...

Naturally there is an emersive and eerie [sp?] story line to go along with the equally emersive gameplay, graphics, and soundtrack [all done by the same guy that did the music for all the other metroid games, including some classics remixed of course!]. The Plot development includes stuff like discovering Ancient Alien Race "Lore" that directly ties into the progression of the storyline. And of course, theres those cute little floaty, clear jelly guys, that maul you with their enormous Talons... Metroids! :D

Wow, ok this is a really long post and i apologize ahead of time if that erks anyone for any reason, but i feel this game deserves the publicity, even at a place like macrumors. Again, ill say it, this is the best FPS and/or video game ive played in a looong time, and im planning on buying a gamecube mainly because of this game. Besides, Metroid Prime 2 is already in deveopment. So forget about gaming on your mac [or PC for that matter] or at least put the mac gaming aside for the forseable "G4" future, and check this game out. it really deserves any FPS gamers attention. [god i sound like a d*mn slaesperson, hehe].

...Now if i can just find a solution to hooking the gamecube up to my VGA moniter, that wont cost more than the GC itself. :rolleyes: anybody have any ideas?

2. Xero thread starter macrumors 6502

Im sure this will ocme up more than once, so:

Have you personally played through the whole halo game? I havent played halo so i cant say anything from personal experience, but a few of my friends that have played halo all the way through say it wasnt that great. ive heard the multiplayer is a lot of fun and im sure it is, but again im talking about the SP side of FPS games. ive heard that halo is inventive, stunning visually and fun for a while but, further into the game it becomes extremely tedious as your fighting the same aliens over and over, in rooms that seem to repeat themselves, while not receiving much gratitude on the way. thats only what ive heard, i could be wrong as everyone has theyre own opinion, and like i said i havent played it [not that im against playing it in any way]. but i hope you saying "Halo." doesnt mean your just going to disreguard metroid prime.:( if you like halo, youd almost have to like metroid prime, otherwise id think your just being biased. ;)

3. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Maybe I am biased... that's the only FPS game I own.

4. Xero thread starter macrumors 6502

5. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Sounds like someone has a gaming addiction. Can you guess who? :D

Metroid Prime sounds interesting tho.

6. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

The real fun with Halo is multiplayer mode. Single player mode isn't that awesome, but still nice.

From the previews Bungie has shown, Halo 2 should bring the single player fun up, while still improving multiplayer mode.

7. Xero thread starter macrumors 6502

the thing is i really dnt play a lot of video games. dont really have the time either. :p

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

My son played metroid prime to its conclusion. after seeing it i still think UT2003 or Halo are better and when you move the graphics to a computer compared to a console the computers blow it away. Yes its a great game but Halo,DooM3,UT 2003 on the mac should prove difficult to beat in the FPS arena. Heck I still love RTCW in multiplayer mode!DYNOMITE PLANTED!

9. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I am stuck on UT, but I like all of the mods. I bet I will feel the same way about UT2003 when it...

a. comes to mac.
    b. all of the mods get ported
    c. comes to mac.

But then I really don't have the time to play as much as I used to. (I used to average 6 or more hours a week.) :)

10. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Always seem to come back to Quake 3, especially the Rocket arena variant, I've played UT and both red factions, run Halo for a while (got a PS2, not an X-box), and Timesplitters2 is cool, but Quake just keeps coming back...

It's the gibs ya know:D

11. job macrumors 68040

job

I'm actually considering purchasing a console.

I'm torn between a PS2 and a GC. No X-Box here. I won't stand to give MS any of my money.

I am leaning more towards a GC due to Metroid Prime and the price tag of the GC.

I'm a relative console n00bie, so I was just wondering if someone could please detail the pros and cons of buying a PS2 or a GC.

I'm interested in FPS. Do they have Ghost Recon and Medal of Honor for either console?

12. howard macrumors 68020

howard

yes metroid prime is a great game, though for people who havn't played it i have to see its much more of an action/adventure than first person shooter...your not going for kills or to kill everyone...your adventuring and explorering..in fact in the game you don't aim and shoot, you lock on to the targets and then shoot, it does work quite well for its style, especially cause i don't like aiming with game pad controllers...keyboard and mouse all the way!!

halo is also a good game, i played it all the way through, i like the checkpoint style...its easy to just pick up and play for a few minutes and then set down which is really nice, and the ai is great, and you can't say anything bad about multiplayer.

i was always a fan of UT instead of quake3 (though i thought quake1 was the best game ever made, in its time) , i loved ut but i don't have it on my mac :-( anyway UT2003 looks a lot more cartoony, it looks like quake3...i played it on pc but my ibook will for sure not handle it.

btw: get a gc and get super monkey ball! that game is the ****

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I know SC is a RTS game, but it beats the socks off of any other
    computer game. I am just a strategy freak though, and WCIII is
    just too..... blah. ;) :D

14. Xero thread starter macrumors 6502

ok people are totally missing the points i was trying to make, arg. im talking about good Single Player stuff, not which PC multiplayer games spill more gibs.:rolleyes:

oh well, people will talk about whatever they want i guess...?

15. GrandShenlong macrumors member

SPLINTER CELL!!!!
    real-time shadows, stealth, gadgets, beating people over the head...
    everything that nightfire wanted to be.

16. Xero thread starter macrumors 6502

im sure id like splinter cell if the PC demo wasnt such a pile, and didnt just give me an instant runtime error. :mad:

EDIT: good god i cant type today

17. TheMightyG macrumors regular

18. DisgruntledArch macrumors newbie

RE: The best

Amen to that.

I love hearing "GODLIKE" as much as the next guy, but there's something sublimely subtle about a single gunshot and a flat "good-bye."

19. TheMightyG macrumors regular

Re: RE: The best

Unfortunately, whenever I hear a single gunshot it's usually followed by a hysterical "We got a man down!!!!" instead
    :rolleyes:

20. Xero thread starter macrumors 6502

speaking of Ghost Recon...

... Raven Shield [the demo at least] is a great game, as long as it doesnt turn into a Counter-Strike clone any more than it already has.:rolleyes: [its obviously still way better than CSthough]