The best hangover remedy: what's yours?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Blue Velvet, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm not a massive drinker but once in a while a special occasion will come along like a friends birthday, a party or an extremely difficult deadline Friday at work.

Like many people, I'll get drunk to varying degrees from tipsy to staggering... but personally, never to the fall-down, black-out, wake-up in a strange place, would-have-regrets-if-I-only-could-remember-what-happened-the-night-before kind-of-way...

For simplicities sake, I'll divide the level of hangover into 2 kinds and they're strictly based on how functional I am the next day.

The first is...
    • Could go into work if necessary but am seedy, moody, headachy, and generally fit for low-level tasks and minimal meeting participation.

The second is...
    • The full works. Unable to go to work, let alone leave the house.
    Possibly ill, certainly queasy, would probably burst into flame near a naked light due to the amount of alcohol radiating from my pores. The kind of vulnerable state that you would never want anybody to see you in... (because they never feel sorry for you and may even laugh at you in your pitiful state).

My favourite remedies are:

For 1) A cooked breakfast esp. if it's got either hash browns or sausage with strong sweet tea. Occasionally could manage the hair of the dog, but not often...

For 2) A glass of tepid still mineral water, pulled blinds, monastery-like silence, a combination of ibuprofen & aspirin, and if I'm feeling particularly brave... a banana.

When you feel like s**t due to the excesses of the night before -- what's the thing that brings you around and gets you back on your feet again?

Disclaimer™: It is neither big, nor particularly clever to get drunk -- so kids, go easy out there.

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

pedialyte

or any other generic hydration juice that infants are supposed to drink to combat the effects of fever. works like a charm.

:D

3. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

The best hangover remedy:

Simple. Don't drink to excess. Most people should know their limits after the first time. A hangover is your body's way of saying dude don't do that again. Ignoring that isn't really all that smart.
    Then again I'm prob the exception to the rule. I'd just as soon have a root beer as much as a Sam Adams or Heineken or whatever.

4. brap macrumors 68000

2 pints of water (or as much as you can drink) before you pass out for the night.

Then, when you inevitably wake at 6.30am, 2 'preventative' ibuprofen, you'll be well away.

5. Pugdawg1 macrumors member

I used to drink. Often. Big humuuuuungous party animal when I lived in Las Vegas. Someone say Paaaaaarty and I would go every time and do it up good. LOL. For me... in the morning ~ excedrin, a breakfast.. potatoes, bacon.. something heavy like that to soak up the nasties, and I always craved Milk.
    These days.. I average a beer a month at the most LOL. I don't miss those hangovers.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Pedialite is a good idea. You need rehydration. Even better if you drink it while drinking the alcohol, but that may look weird.

A lot of managing hangovers is to avoid them. The darker the liquor, the worse your hangover will be (this has been proven). If you stick with vodka, gin, white wine, your hangovers will be much lighter... Red wine gives me terrible hangovers (the kind where you have to miss work, and you suddenly become religious). So I never drink it anymore.

But post-hangover. Drink plenty of fluids before you go to bed. Have something to drink on hand: common remedies include OJ (maybe you shouldn't leave it out all night tho), carbonated beverages... Caffeine, obviously present in coffee, can decrease headaches but will increase body aches and irritibility.

Diet coke is one of the greatest things ever, for wine hangovers. It doesn't make you feel sick/drunk again in the morning, like water or juice does. Unfortunately, diet coke is unsuitable for consumption any other time, so...

paul

7. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

:D

8. Blackstealth macrumors regular

I'll second that, tho' I normally have a couple water soluble co-codamols instead of ibuprofen in the morning...

9. iGav macrumors G3

I've never had a hangover... ever. :)

I'm as bouncy as, the morning after. :D

10. mpw Guest

Same here. Didn't touch a drop until my stag do and now I can go out drinking and my friends and family hate me in the morning cause I've never been sick while out and never had a hang over in the morning.

The only preventative steps I take is a couple of pints of water or milk before falling asleep (unless I've been too drunk or had..er 'company')

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

water before you sleep is key, its being dehydrated that kills you the next day, also some good ol greasy food helps my stomach get back to normal

12. oreomac macrumors member

A resolve before bed & loads of sleep.

Caffeine isn't good if you've got a hangover as it makes you more dehydrated.

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If you don't have one of those hydrating drinks (a la Lucozade Sport etc), two friends swear by forcing down a glass of water with a teaspoon of salt and one of sugar dissoved in it. Sounds horrific but it does apparently work - they certainly appear more bushy-tailed after it.

Otherwise, I'll attempt a (slightly flat) fizzy full-fat (so to speak) drink - (Irn Bru by preference, Coke if not in Scotland) and something 'bready' - can't manage the full greasy fry up.

14. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

:eek:

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Strangely, or perhaps not, it's the only time I can face Irn Bru...

16. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Totally agree on the water idea. DRINK ALOT of it. If you got water bottles, 2 to 3 usually will do the trick. Obviously if you're like 6'4 or taller and over 200lbs, then yeah, you might need more than 3 bottles. I'm a small guy even a SINGLE water bottle helps me out a ton before I sleep.

17. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    of course the best things to prevent a hangover are done while you're drunk...certainly adds an element of challenge.

1) lots of water before bed combined with...
    2) a couple of aspirin
    3) some sort of sugar laden drink immediately in the morning...dr pepper is my choice
    4) good greasy food...mexican if available, a cheeseburger is second choice
    5) then back to bed

sadly, now that i'm of " a certain age ", i find it much easier to obtain a crushing hangover without the benefit of prior inebriation. dang, dang, dang.

18. LifeIsCheap macrumors regular

Hair of the dog and a bacon and egg McMuffin.

19. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

nothing like half a pint of whiskey to wash away a hangover in the morning :D

20. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Has anyone tried a hangover pill like Chaser? Are they effective???

21. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Aaah... I was waiting for someone to mention Maccy-Deez.

Is it the only time when their food is palatable?
    When you're desperately ill?

:)

Don't get me wrong: I too have strayed... but not often.

But... will you have fries with that?

22. friarbayliff macrumors regular

water is awesome. Drink so much you can't stand it anymore. Greasy food, especially massive amounts of pizza, help (if your stomach can handle it - I don't recommend this if you're one of those 'vomit' drunks).

23. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Seriously guys stop mixing drugs with alcohol, even "harmless" aspirin.
    Go google...

AppleMatt (milk before bed, if I'm sober enough)

24. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

:eek:

Eeeuuwww... another thing that was at the front of some people's minds but prob. better left unsaid... :)

25. Sir_Giggles macrumors 6502a

Sir_Giggles