The Best Mac Shareware/Freeware.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Damien, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Damien macrumors regular

I was looking around at the amazing amount of shareware that is out for the Mac. There is a incredible amount of good independent developers creating great work.

I wondered if anyone had anything they could recommend? Examples such as Handbreak, Adium, iOrganise and SubEthaEdit are the kind of thing i am looking for?

2. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

3. Damien thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing much actually, Just looking for cool software. I like to fiddle around and see what cool, fun or useful stuff is out there.

You are certianly right that we seem to have a much better mamount of quality software for the mac. I think its because many people learn programming on a windows platform but that may be wrong.

Cool site! I dont like version tracker though. Too complex and hard to just surf unless you knwo what your looking for

4. Lau Guest

This thread has a few free suggestions, and this thread has loads of useful little apps but they're a mixture of free and shareware. :)

5. bense27 macrumors regular

6. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I suggest giving Proteus a try, its freeware.

A quick glance at my Applications folder shows the other shareware/freeware apps I use often are; Flip4mac, Folder Icon Maker X, Solitaire XL, ircle 3.1, MacTheRipper, MacFLAC, Shorten, and VLC.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

gDisk, looks nice, lets you use you Gmail account like an iDisk

however you need to have the gDisk app installed on you computer to get your files,

also like FireFox

8. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

HandBrake is a GPL'd multiplatform, multithreaded DVD to MPEG-4 ripper/converter. HandBrake was originally available on the BeOS, but now has been ported over to MacOS X and to GNU/Linux. A Windows port is being worked on.

Supported sources:
    Any DVD-like source: VIDEO_TS folder, DVD image or real DVD (even encrypted)
    PAL or NTSC
    AC-3, LPCM or MPEG audio tracks
    Outputs:
    File format: MP4, AVI or OGM
    Video: MPEG-4 or H.264 (1 or 2 passes or constant quantizer encoding)
    Audio: AAC, MP3, Vorbis or AC-3 pass-through (supports encoding of several audio tracks)
    Misc features
    Chapter selection
    Basic subtitle support (burned into the picture)
    Integrated bitrate calculator
    Picture deinterlacing, cropping and scaling
    Grayscale encoding

thats handbrake info from http://handbrake.m0k.org/

9. bense27 macrumors regular

so basically it lets you rip DVD's to your computer?

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Shareware: Sticky windows. I am so used to it, I find myself trying to use it at work...on windows. :(

11. M-theory macrumors 6502

M-theory

...love the new 'tar

12. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

Have you tried this?

Mitthrawnuruodo, your new tar rocks! [​IMG]

13. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Came across SSS (Software for Staving Students) from the Apple downloads page.

::20ROGERSC::

14. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

15. t0ast macrumors member

I agree, there are tons of handy third part applications out there, VLC, ScummVM and MacIrssi(0.8.0 finally works :D) being some of the favorites.

16. rogueToe macrumors newbie

I see lots of topics and blog posts like this where people list their favourite freeware or shareware. So I created a website that kinda pulls it all together -- the freeware, at least. Check the link in my sig.

17. ChrisA macrumors G4

The user base is not as small as you think. OS X is UNIX and much of the UNIX software is available for the Mac.

In fact most of Mac OS X itselt is "freeware". The core of OS X is "darwin" which is Apple's version of BSD which has been free for the last 20 years and then all the services that run, sharing disk, the web server all of the 100+ "standard" utilies included with Mac OS X all are free. Apple went and got them for you they are the same as on Linux or Solaris systems. What Apple added to all this is a nice, prety grapical desktop.

So when you say "the quality of freeware is good" Yes it is the bulk of OS X being the prime example.

So what to get.... two "must haves" I can think of

1) Gimp at www.gimp.org

2) Open Office at www.openoffice.org

I just happen to like this text editor. It's a "pure text" editor. not a wordprocessor.
    If you write code of any type I recommend it.

3) nedit www.nedit.org

18. Damien thread starter macrumors regular

I recently got Transmit which is the best FTP client i have ever head :eek: I am looking into Unison which is panics other main program. The output of this company is amazing

19. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I love Clutter for getting iTunes artwork

Wiretap

MplayerOSX

Delicious library