The Best of times, the worst of times...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Les Kern, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    I got to thinking after reading an article on the top 10 OSX gripes of what my own idea of what would top a BEST/WORST list.
    I am in a position of some responsibility, and sometimes it comes with the requirement of getting my hands on documents quickly. Thank GOD for Spotlight. I have over 125,000 files in my docs folder alone, and more on the various tech servers. I used to search endlessly for info I needed, some of it pretty old. With Spotlight that task is simply GONE. I don't know how many hours I have saved, but I know it's substantial. And searching e-mail is a bonus. I'll bet I have tens of thousands saved/sent messages in Mail. THANKS APPLE!
    As for the WORST... it HAS to be the way OSX handles auto-mounting of servers. God forbit it's offline... the boot time can last a LONG time. I have 31 servers, so it get's a bit hairy sometimes. Though I mostly use Open Directory, there are some staff that I like the AM feature set up for ease of use. But due to the issue, I use it sparingly. I like the way XP handles this... giving you a message immediately that it isn't available, and moving on with the start up.
    So what is YOUR alpha/omega?
  2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    The High: how easy the system is and to maintain it.
    The Low: RAM hogg...but i can live with it.

The highs are much higher than the lows....

3. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    system integration
    ease of use
    no system popups

poor webdav support
    X11 doesn't seem to like me using keyboard shortcuts (this may not qualify)
    mail won't save my replies
    um..the lows one is hard...

I can't think of to many things that are wrong with OS X, a few issues with apps but that is it (like some sites seem to cause Safari to go 100% cpu).
  4. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Have you configured Mail to save your replies?
  5. iBunny macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2004
    Highs: Superior MultiTasking compared to any other OS; More secure than a Microsoft OS

Lows: The GUI may be pretty, but it is not fast. Window Resizing needs to be instant. Also, Their needs to be an option to make a window 100% full screen. Sometimes, this is needed.
  6. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    There isn't an option to change this I am aware of. I do have it set to save sent messages indefinitely. Mail does think that it saved my replies to but when I click the swirly arrow next to the message I replied to Mail says it can't find the message because it was moved or deleted.

I to have noticed that the GUI is a little sluggish at times compared to Windows, however I find it much more responsive than any linux system I have used.
  7. swiftaw macrumors 603

Jan 31, 2005
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I just tried this, and indeed I get the same message. However, when I look in the sent folder I can see my message reply so it is definitely saved, just a problem linking to it when clicking on the little arrow thingy.

Is your mail stored on an IMAP server?

Further info: the linking doesn't work for mail on my IMAP account, but for my mail accounts where the messages are stored locally on my hard drive, clicking the reply arrow works.
  8. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    Easy to learn and use
    Virus-free (knock on wood)
    Beautiful looking hardware runs it

The fun GUI features eat up your RAM