THE BEST PHOTO HOST SITE

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TyleRomeo, Jan 30, 2005.

1. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

what do you guys think is the best photo host site. Perferably one that offers lots of storage room and its easy to use and free.

Tyler

2. noel4r macrumors 6502a

I read an online comparison of the most popular photo host sites and Yahoo came out number one. It's what I use and it's free so I can't complain.

3. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I'm down with Flickr. I use FlickrExport to integrate iPhoto and Flickr. So now, to post to Flickr, I just select a few pics in iPhoto and use File --> Export, and select "Export to Flickr." Really simple, really easy.

Edit ... I just read some of the things people posted on Versiontracker about this app, and wow, doesn't sound pretty. I haven't had issues, but uh, sounds like it can be a pretty risky app.

4. mikey.c macrumors member

mikey.c

5. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Can you direct me to a specific link where yahoo has it's photo hosting?

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I have 100 MB with Epson, password-protected galleries and the possibility for the end user to print from it.

Still, I have my own website and I'm relying less and less on Epson.

7. TheRick macrumors newbie

I second the vote for Flickr (www.flickr.com). Great features and great integration with iPhoto. I haven't used FlickrExport, but I've downloaded Flickr's Mac OS X upload tool and it's amazingly simple. Just drag a photo from iPhoto over to the upload tool and presto...it's uploaded. You can even add tags, etc. when uploading.

8. noel4r macrumors 6502a

www.photos.yahoo.com

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

friends of mine use webshots.com

i dont know anything about them, but their layout isn't too bad

10. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

This really depends on your intended audience. Do you want to be able to have your own layout? Or is it about sharing photos with friends, that they might perhaps want to order prints of. I used to do alot of sharing of photos via writing my own html and hosting web pages, but this is rather time consuming. Now, I usually use one of the commercial photo printing services, such as Snapfish. This has the advantage of
    (1) Unlimited web space
    (2) They do all the work for you (downconvert to small .jpgs for display, etc)
    (3) You can caption the photos easily
    (4) Your friends can order prints, or let you know they'd like a digital copy (from you) of a particular print.

--Dave

11. BlackDan macrumors 6502

12. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I've heard good things about Flickr as well. Some friends use it and they seem very happy with it.

If you know someone who is willing to donate some web space, JAlbum is a great piece of free software for making web albums.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does Flickr provide real URLs that you can incorporate the image in an image tag in a forum or something like that? It seemed like it, but it wasn't 100% clear on their site. Right now, I use photobucket. Nothing fancy, but not too bad either. But yes, if there is a tool for Flickr or anything else with linkability that has better uploading, I'd be all for that. It's kinda a nuisance to save an image from iPhoto to the desktop and upload it using the browser and delete the copy.

14. jhomayne macrumors regular