the best Racing game on Mac!!!! the Ford Racing 2!!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by msharp, Sep 30, 2004.

1. msharp macrumors regular

msharp

two days before i saw a great racing game on Mac, called the Ford Racing 2, from Feral Interactive(http://www.feralinteractive.com).

i must admit it's a shame that the Ford Racing 2 doesn't support "Motion Blur", which is used widely in the ea's games, such as nfs 7, and the "Burnout 3".

2. Doraemon macrumors 6502

That game sucks big time.

I mean, it's nice that such titles are released for Mac, but come on, there are so much better games out there.

3. msharp thread starter macrumors regular

msharp

oh really?? you mean there's gotta be more better games?? will you give me some keywords to search for???

i'm really looking for a GOOD racing game on mac these days.....

4. snowdog macrumors member

I think it's playable.
    Set the resolution to 1920x1200 with every detail at max.
    Pretty fun playing on the 23".

(and the fans in my PM keeps still during the whole race!)

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I think the Midtown Madness series of racing games are the best and most creative. The Ford racer was too much like Need for Speed but without the police cars. Too boring. I wish Microsoft would have ported Midtown Madness to the Mac.

So far, Ford Racing is the best car game I ever played on the Mac.

6. cubist macrumors 68020

Midtown Madness was too cartoony for my taste. Need for Speed Porsche and Hot Pursuit 2 are the best racing games on the PC.

On the Mac, choices are limited. Feral's Total Immersion Racing is supposed to be pretty good. I tried the demo and thought it was OK.

There's Racer, of course, which seems to be perpetually unfinished, but is full of intriguing possibilities. It runs pretty well on the Mac, as long as you are careful with your controls. Crashes regularly on any platform.

The next generation of racing games will allow you to design your own tracks. Cars will still be a difficult area.

7. msharp thread starter macrumors regular

msharp

yeah, i agree with you. this is the only racing game with a GOOD graphic so far on mac.

8. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Nascar 2002 & WipEout 2097

Nascar Racing 2002 has great graphics, good controls and deep gameplay. I found that in a bargain bin recently and I am very impressed with it.

Having said that, my all-time favourite racing game on OS X is WipEout 2097. No other racing game can be controlled so well with a keyboard and the gameplay, although simple, can really immerse the player.

The Ford Racing 2 demo did not run very well on my dual 800 MHz PowerMac.

9. msharp thread starter macrumors regular

msharp

well brother, i'm sorry to tell you that even the graphic of the Nascar Racing 2003 is way tooooooooooooo poor to compare with others. Have you ever seen the burnout3 on PS2/x-box or the Need for speed:Underground II(I as well) on PS/PC?

I think you gotta change your mind on nascar racing. I have to admit that the nascar racing is reeeeeealy a very good racing simulation game, but that doesn't mean it's graphic is also good enough.

watch carefully for the shadows of the cars.... and the people around the track.... and the flag... also, the "funny" crue..... there's no need to talk more about it.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

There's only one problem with this game.

It's all Ford cars. How can you have a racing sim without Porsche or Ferrari?

11. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

First of all, we are talking about Mac racing games.

Second, The Need For Speed games are over-rated, over-hyped and second-rate. Maybe Need For Speed on the 3DO was something but all the PlayStation sequels felt polished but un-inspired.

Third, Nascar Racing 2002 has great control and gameplay so I am not going to fault the game for not having the latest and greatest graphics engine. All that I care about in a racing game graphics engine is that the frame-rate is smooth and in this respect Nascar 2002 excells, especially compared to something like Ford Racing.

Fourth, the greatest racing game on any format is Daytona USA for the Dreamcast. Deal with it ;)

12. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The game sucks so much. I downloaded the demo. Playback was horrible. I mean literally. I have the recommended 1 Ghz G4. It playback sucks. It didn't run smooth. The CPU performance was on the highest and it sucked big time. I say don't even download the Demo. I am waiting for X-Plane 8 in November to try and buy. :D

13. msharp thread starter macrumors regular

msharp

well that's too bad. this game's not supposed to suck like that.
    also, i must admit it's realy a pity that there're only ford's cars in it.

to Sol, i wanted to say that nowadays the graphic engine get more and more important for games especially racing games, don't you think?
    Nascar racing 2002 & 2003 are really nice games, i won't deny that; but their graphic engine are way too old, isn't it?

14. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    so far the best racing game i've play for Mac is 4x4 Evo 2. that game just rocks. dang it, now i have to go home and install it again and play all night long!

15. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I wish more racing games were ported to the Mac... so I'm very happy Feral is doing something about it! I wonder if they could have a go at NFS Hot Pursuit 2 orso too, that would be so great.

Regarding Nascar 2002/2003: I love it! Yeah, the crouds look bad, and so do the crew in the pits, but once you're racing, the track looks great and so do the other cars. Force Feedback on the Logitech MOMO is outstanding! All in all, I've had many hours of racing fun with Nascar!

16. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Ridge Racer is the best. Get Sixty-Force (N64 emulator) and Waverace 64 while your at it. I play those two games at fullscreen (17" studio display) on my Dual 1.8 and have all my racing needs satisfied.

The Ford Racing demo track seems reminscent of Ridge Racer

17. msharp thread starter macrumors regular

msharp

which version of Ridge Racer? is that the one called"Ridge Racer V" from Namco published in 2001?...... or the "Ridge Racer 64" for the N64?

18. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I like the way you think. Metropolis Street Racer and San Fransico Rush 2049 are also good. ;)

19. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

I like the way you like the way the I think :)

Metropolis Street Racer on the DC was a great game let down by a complicated interface. Every time I thought about playing it I had to consider if I was willing to put up with navigating through all the menu screens to continue a saved game; most times I did not. I hope the X-Box sequels fixed this issue because Metropolis seemed to offer a solid racing engine with a brilliant soundtrack.

San Fransisco Rush was the only American-made racing game that I would rate in the arcade. It was easy to control (a must in every racing game) and the gameplay felt exciting; you can't ask for more than that for a dollar.

As for the Ridge Racers, I thought that the fourth game on the PlayStation was the best in the series. In that one the graphics engine was polished to perfection and the interface was a lot more colourful than the past games. Control was very good and it even had it's own jog-wheel game-pad for those who wanted that extra advantage.

It is a shame that SEGA's post-hardware multi-format strategy does not include OS X. At the very least SEGA could have created Saturn or DC emulators to sell us their classics as online downloads. Even simple ports of relatively simple games like Daytona USA and Virtua Racing would have been well received. Imagine playing online versions of either game on a 20" G5 iMac. Oh well, such is life... :(

20. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Re: Ford Racing 2 demo

Graphics: Not bad at all. The cars looked very nice. Small details such as brake caliper/rotors are visible.

Game play: Sucked hard-core with my steering wheel. Very hard to control.

Views were lame...outside/rear or ground/front only...no interior view.

Physics were very arcade-like. Menus also sucked.

21. msharp thread starter macrumors regular

msharp

yeah, you are right, but about gameplay, i think the controls are too sensitive to handle.....

it's a pity that it doesn't has a interior view.

if only this game supported "motion blur" just like in NFS7, or Burnout3...

22. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Ridge Racer 64. To my knowledge, that's the only one you can play on a Mac (with the emulator "Sixty-Force) and it runs great on a very fast mac (or on any g3 ibook or higher with the sound disabled.

WAVERACE 64 is great on my dp 1.8!!