THE BEST TETRIS SCORE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by whw5, Jan 2, 2005.

1. whw5 macrumors regular

Hey Guys, I just had the best tetris score ever. I dont think anyone can even touch this one, but just curious, has anyone ever gotten a higher score? This game took my like 35min to play. I feel so accomplished. :D :D :p

Attached Files:

2. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

Never gotten QUITE that high, but mad props to you nonetheless.

I probably could go that long play, but it would have to be a really really boring day in calculus. ;) ;)

3. haiggy macrumors 65816

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Meh, you've gotta play the real tetris.

Open a terminal window. Type "emacs" (no quotes) and press enter. Then press escape+x. Type "tetris" and press enter (again no quotes). Use the arrow keys to play.

5. angelneo macrumors 68000

Learning something new everyday....

6. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Congratulations! I love the name Will :D that's what I named my little boy.

7. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Nice work! I've never played that particular variant of Tetris, but it took me over 40 minutes to get 250 lines in Quinn. I thought that was pretty good.

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

hahaha- no kidding... had NO idea that was there... :D

9. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Even though Tetris appered on veirtually every games console and computer the original Game Boy version is the best.

Every thing else just dosn't feel right, this coming from a Spectrum gamer!!

10. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Personally I am a big fan of the NES version of Tetris....but I do not think I've ever reached that high of a score on that.

11. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Congratulations, that's amazing, I'm not a fan of tetris anymore, at the end of the day I used to see how everything was like tetris and I could match my whole family in a box... You reminded me my aunt, it was 10 years ago that she used to have the best score in the family, she could play hours with her nintendo, yes, her nintendo, and at that time she was 39... I may consider to play tetris again, congratulations...

12. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

The best is when you launch the Kremlin on the NES version...i forgot how many points it took to do it, i only managed it once. Usually it launches nothing or a crappy little rocket...

13. lordmac macrumors regular

Erg I tried this but when i typed in emacs and pressed enter, it gave me an error. this tricked sounded so cool but why wont it work for me. Im on a rev.c a 12 inch powerbook with panther and all the latest updates. :(
    Im in english class right now and im very bored so I would dearly like to be able to play tetris.

14. haiggy macrumors 65816

I have never been able to get this to work. I press ESC+X and I get a window that has writing above it and then says 'x' below. What am I doing wrong?

15. lordmac macrumors regular

16. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I think this launched when you reached the final level and got so many lines. If I remember correctly there were 19? levels of Tetris on the NES version?.....and once you reached the amount of lines that would move you up to the next level...10 maybe? (while you were on 19).....it would launch the Kremlin when your game ended. What a great game! They need Tetris on the next iPod Software update:)

17. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

I still play the original Mac version of Tetris by Spectrum Holobyte (what a great name for a software company!)... has the greatest of all Tetris soundtracks, which unfortunately doesn't play on a PPC processor. My personal best there is 8807 (in level 9, the blocks fall are like in freefall with heavy gravity), but a my dad could get up to 9200, and a friend of mine recently scored 9527.

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Fab!
    Great – another time-wasting nifty thing to do on my Mac.

:)

19. roadapple macrumors regular

Wow, best mac rumors tip ever.

20. haiggy macrumors 65816

Hmmmm ever since I got my Mac I noticed Terminal is screwy. If I just use the top command and try to type anything else, it doesn't work. I have to open a new Terminal window. This only seems to be the problem with the 'top' command. For the ESC-x thing, it just escapes that 'emacs' thing and writes an x in the window. Strange. :confused:

21. applekid macrumors 68020

Piggy backing on Mechcozmo, there are other games besides Tetris on your Mac that are accessible through the Terminal. Give MacAddicts a try. They might have that hint posted on their website. And, I'm sure the info is available elsewhere.

Back to the original poster, I will say that is a great score! :) People, ignore score, but look at the amount of lines cleared! There's so many versions of Tetris now it wouldn't be fair to say you got the highest score ever when you can easily reach 1,000,000 when someone can barely get to 50,000 on another version. I think the most lines I ever cleared was around 200 on my sister's cell phone, playing for about 30 minutes.

22. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Disn't they do loads of Flight sims?

23. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Congrats on the score - never ever got near that high.

This was *really* cool! The first Tetris I played was on a Magnavox 386SX laptop - it was the original PC version that ran in DOS.

24. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

back in college, on my color classic, playing whatever tetris was around then, i got 987 lines. yep. took a long time. i could've gotten 1,000 but choked.

25. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The reason that you need to open a new Terminal window is that you are still running top. Send a break command to allow you to run another process. (Control+C sends a break)

Didja type "tetris" and then press return? No quotes, mind you...

Here is a picture showing the various stages of what you do. BTW, ESC is also known as the meta key in emacs, hence the M-x prompt.

[​IMG]

Attached Files: