the best thing to happent o my computer since panther

Discussion in 'Community' started by teabgs, Nov 21, 2003.

1. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

it's.....JAGUAR!!!!

yup. I've had nothign but problems with Panther. I've done multiple clean installs after initializing and zeroing my HD. Tried it with archiving, saving my prefs, redoing them from scratch...

no matter what there was always problems and my computer (Dual 1.25 G4 1st version w/ 2GB ram) FROZE AT LEAST ONCE A DAY.

I now love jaguar even more than before, and everything is great since I finished getting everythign installed earlier this morning!!!

I love a stable OS, just thought I'd share.

and now I can go be productive without having to restart my computer or turn it off when it freezes, SWEET!!

:D

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Yeah, Panther isn't ready for everyone yet. I haven't installed it on either of my machines yet, and I'm still ever skeptical about it's dependability. :(

Glad u are back up & running again. ;)

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sorry to hear about your troubles, glad it's all back and workin for you now though. My experiance with Panther has been good so far, just as stable as Jag for me.

4. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

here's the thing bout panther.... It's got some great toys, and it looks a bit nicer, but it isn't worth it.

Granted Expose saved me about an hour the other day when I had to put the the sitll images from a matte .mov into the color stills as the alpha channel, but the time I've spent having to restart while working offsets that.

I think as a consumer OS it's ok, and most people seem to be doing fine with it.

I find that when I'm running FCP, After effects and Maya all at the same time or withint a short timeframe (this is describing about 5 days of my life a week) the OS chokes and dies.

my suggestion is that if you do any kind of prodution: video, photo, graphics, music, animation, etc stick with Jag.

EDIT: I woke up late yesterday because I use iSleep as my alarm. Guess what happened....my computer had froze at some point and never woke me up. Go panther!

5. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i'm sure it'll get better over the next few 10.3.x updates...they always do

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Wow. That sucks man. :mad:

I'm still going to run it on my Ti soon. I don't use it as my main system, so I'm hoping any issues I incur won't hinder me too much. ;)

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I've got 10.3.1 on the 17", and it couldn't have gone sweeter, the machine is more responsive, apps are snappier and overall I'd estimate a 10% increase in speed.

The only problem I have is that ProTools still won't run without the update that's pending...:(

8. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

Panther is really smooth on my 12pb. I had iPhoto crash once, and Safari crash twice since I installed it, but that might simply be because I started to use them more extensively...

I love Expose and I love the snappier Finder.

9. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I thought you said you downgraded to Jaguar. :rolleyes:

10. Remus macrumors member

I am sorry that you are having such problems. Could they be related to something else... :confused: Just Asking...
    I have been using it on my G-4 800 Mhz upgrade with 1.5 GB everything responds quicker, almost like getting another speed upgrade.

Hope it gets worked out for you soon.....

11. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I have muddled through 10 Panther upgrades at an office. I also have a bit of advice. Don't upgrade 10.1 to Panther. I have had nothing but trouble in Outlook 2001 on the two macs that had 10.1 just on the HD. (They didn't even use it.) :(

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

That's good to hear. I'll run it eventually. I'm still afraid of it freaking out on my firewire HD though.