The best way to author to DVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by pianodude123, Aug 31, 2006.

1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

hello,

I have a project that I made in FCE and I do not have DVD Studio Pro. I have the option of exporting to quicktime, reimporting to imovie and exporting to iDVD but Im not sure if this would diminish the quality of the video????

I forgot to put the markers for the chapters in my FCE project and I'd rather not go through rendering that whole thing AGAIN because it takes 5 hours. I am currently importing it into iMovie and then I will add chapter markers and make an iDVD project from there, but I just want to know if that will significantly diminish the quality of the video?

2. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Will doing this make the movie have to render longer?

3. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Also, what is the best way to format this thing so that it plays on most DVD players?

I read in the FCE Manual that it said to put it in Micro UDF?

4. PegasusMedia macrumors member

If you need the chapter markers embedded in the quicktime, you're in for a wait either way. I would go back to the FCP project, add the markers & re-export. You won't have to render again, assuming you saved last time. You will have to re-export to QT, but that shouldn't take 5 hours. The imovie step is not necessary. Just take your exported QT into idvd.

Assuming your settings are all correct, the quality will be excellent.

5. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Settings...

I changed my settings in FCE playback quality from High to medium because it kept on lagging down whenever it went over an effect. I exported to quicktime in broadcast quality...is that okay, or will it make it worse?

6. PegasusMedia macrumors member

Should be fine. Your playback settings don't matter on your QT export.

7. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Now, is there anyway to copyprotect these DVDs so that people cannot stick them in their DVD burner and make copies of them?

8. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Keep in mind I dont not really have the money to spend thousand of dollars...

thanks

9. Keebler macrumors 68030

nope..nothing..nada..keep in mind that even hollywood dvds can be copied.

are you reselling these? i ask because, and no offense intended here, you are obviously doing this for the first time so should you be making money from it if you don't know what you're doing?

btw, there's nothing wrong with not knowing...we all started at the same spot.

did you buy your system recently in Ottawa?

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Not unless you want to spend thousands of dollars. ;)

If you want to go back and add chapter markers you can just export it as a QT reference movie (I assume FCE can do that), and that will take a lot less time than exporting it as a self-contained movie. You just can't move any of your source media until the DVD is done as the reference movie doesn't contain any media itself, but "points" back to the appropriate source media.

Keep in mind that DVD is a very compressed format so your DVD won't look as good as your original source material.

Lethal

11. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

I cant wait until we hav some more suitable materials for playback!

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

For it's intended use (relatively small screens in peoples homes) DVD is very good, IMO. The gap between acquisition and delivery format will always remain relatively unchanged, IMO. Granted, it would be nice to have DigiBeta (high end SD video format) quality in our homes, but can you afford $10,000 for a playback only deck, $500 for a "cheap" 15" broadcast monitor (consumer TVs tend to be low-rez and have inaccurate color by comparison), and the increased cost of movies (a blank 124min DigiBeta tape is about $50).

;)

Lethal