The Bible in 1337!

Discussion in 'Community' started by G5orbust, Aug 28, 2003.

1. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

1337 Bible

Enjoy both the New and Old Testement in 1337 (Leet) speak. Unfortunately, this person did not do a word for word translation and added some 1337 shorthand type things.

(Note: This is not intended to be degrading to those who do not believe in Christian/Judiac belief. Do not post telling me about your personal feeling on the matter. I really dont care and neither does anyone else. This is just for pure enjoyment by all who care to look.)

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: The Bible in 1337!

Even though I find no use for this and find that this is only widely funny, I think your comment it rude to those with other beliefs.

[Note: I do not have other beliefs, I am jewish]

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

vvøvv – †hª† î$ 墆ûållý ®èªlly çóól..... ¡ vvðñdê® hóvv mûçh †ïmê hê $Þèñd døîñg †hª†¿ (/\)èll¸ hê Þ®øbãblý håd ª ¢óñvê®†ê® †hïñg dó í† líkê ¡ åm døíñg vvï†h †hï$ mè$$ªgè ®ïgh† ñóvv.

Hmmmm....... in the end it is all just a big waste of time though. :)

[edit]
    I see nothing offensive about that...

He just didn't want people to flame him, and he decided he would be honest and just say that he doesnt care. I see it as honesty, not as some kind of offensive insult or anything.

[/edit]

scem0

4. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Well, they made a Klingon version, why not an 1337 version?

5. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Re: Re: The Bible in 1337!

well, just as a little speck on information, I am Jewish too. Thats the whole reason this 1337 bible I found is both comical and still meaningful (well, as much as a 1337, or even a Klingon Bible, can be).

But Im just saying, in honesty (as scem0 said) that I do not want people to view this thread as some religious battle ground; just as a showing of some guy who took time to translate the Holy Book of two religions into the language of geeks.

If people dont like it, they dont have to click the link, they dont even have to open the thread. I made it pretty obvious with the thread title that this has something to do with the Bible. That, in my opinion, is good enough warning to anyone who does not want to look at it. I am certainly not prohibiting anyone from reading it, infact I encourage reading this- not as a religious thing ( I am certainly not trying to convert anyone put down any other faith or claim superiority of Bible and its related texts over such great works as the Koran and other faiths and doctorines such as Buddhism and Hinduism! Please understand this!!) but as a really long and well known book translated into a language that is very time consuming to write (requireing a lot of option/alt and shift button usage if it was done by hand).

So, please enjoy this and lets keep the negatives to a minimum.

6. Xero macrumors 6502

7. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Bravo! I must say, that is some good wholesome fun reading that...

Holy book of the geeks... I can see it now...

8. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: Re: The Bible in 1337!

granted all that, and i do find it funny, but i agree with MrMacman that you could have and should have been a little more friendly about that. "I don't care and no one else does" is both unnecessary and unknown, by you, anyways. i understand the point you're making, and i think you made it wrong. it's rude to anyone who has beliefs.

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ah, but I can't imagine they hand type the translation.....it would be a good little project if you wanted to learn how to do such a thing - that that difficult and somewhat entertaining.

Now, if they had done it from the Latin or Greek that would have been interesting...;)

D

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

12. RobVanDam macrumors member

Anyone that actually reads the entire bible in that leet speak garbage, or klingon, seriously needs a kick in the head.

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The proper way to do Bible translation is with a thorough knowledge of Hebrew for the Old Testament and Greek for the New Testament. By studying using the original languages you can understand the original intent of the writer. A knowledge of history and customs of the time of the writer is also crucial for proper understanding!

14. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

actually, it's a lot more complicated than that, if we want to kill this joke by talking about translation.

15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yes indeed, if you look at bible's now-a-days the message seems changed, if you take 2 different bibles, you might have several lines being interperated differently!

With the Torah you don't have this problem because it is hand done from people who make Torah's All their lives.

16. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Wow. I must be behind because i have never seen anything like that before. Cool.

Side note:
    Man, bring up religion, even in this 1337 Bible thread, and people start going crazy. People argue over the dumbest stuff. Its no wonder people end up killing each other over this stupid nonsense when even a Mac Message board makes people get all 'offended.'

This world would be a fantastically better place if people would learn to not so easily get offended.

17. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

thank god! now will someone please do the koran???

pnw

18. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i dunno about that, no religious controversy has arisen yet. no one's expressed offense at this spoof of the bible.

19. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Old School meets Old Testament- you have to love it!

To call this cipher hackerspeak is far from true these days. It has been adopted by all those people that text message, though not exactly the same. Often the shorthand is not for speed or anonymity, but rather provide annoyance to those that have to deal with it.

It’s still fun and neat to see that somebody wrote a good substation algorithm.

20. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

looks like a simple letter-changing script would be all that is necessary. You could even do this with a simple language like JavaScript.

So a challenge!

1337 of the English translations of the Torah, Koran, Bhagavad-Gita, Talmud, Ramayana, Mahabharata, Hammurabi's Code, Upanishads, Webster's, etc. (If you notice a disproportionate proliferation of Hindu texts above, that's because those are the names I'd be most likely to think of, seeing as I'm a Hindu and all)

Well, it should keep someone busy.

Unfortunately, something as simple as a letter-changer doesn't yield the intracacies of a language as rich in history and detail as 1337, such as 1337sp3cific words...What of w00t? And of R0X0RZ? And of SUX0RZ? I know not...

21. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

This is the exact reason why I told people not to make this thread into a religious battle ground; people tend to argue over things even then their arguement is loosely connected to the discussion as a whole. So, once again, I apoligize if I was rude, mean or an arse in my comment, but I wanted to be as blunt as possible. I know how rapidly this thread can turn from a calm discussion into a firey religous debate.

While I wish I could have found a Hebrew/Aramaic Torah and an orginal language Bible (sorry, was the Bible orginally in Latin or Greek?), but I guess an English translation will have to do for now. Also, I cant seem to find a Koran in 1337, but I guess it is harder to do because the Arabic texts have not really be translated into any other language on a large scale (Id assume that there are translations of the Koran in many languages, but Arabic is the language used in all prayer and readings, right?) and same goes for the Hindu texts.

22. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Thanks for the apology, i think. i agree with you wholeheartedly about bluntness. by all means. rudeness crosses a line, and it should be obvious that rudeness, rather than flank controversy, exacerbates it severely.

fortunately, we've avoided religious controversy and delved into controversy over manners, heh ;)

23. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

ýê$ – †hㆈ$ vvhㆠ‡ vvã$ $ãyíñg. (-)ë jµ$† çóñv뮆êd í† lïkê ¡ˆm góíñg †ó çóñv뮆 vvhㆠ| ãm †®ÿïñg ®ïgh† ñøvv. ‡ ù$ë ã ghꆆó Þ®ðg®ªm mªdè †ð ©hãñgë †ÿÞë †ó l³³7 øñ bñë†. |† ï$ ޮ놆ý ¢øól.

So he really didn't spend much time on it at all :).

scem0

24. janey macrumors 603

janey

religion is a very touchy subject with many people. Say one thing and offend a million.
    Seriously. I even know this guy who got offended like a LOT because the person i was with at that time told him that i was an atheist.
    Honestly, i don't have a problem with anythign anyone said. And i don't really care either. there are a lot of things I would like to say about religion, since that's all we're talkign about in half of my classes, but i cant because i know i'll offend every single person who believes in God if i say it.
    Sucks for me. :(

25. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

From the Sourcebook of Ministerial Development (a guidebook on getting ordained in the Nazarene church, which I am working on):

:D