The 'Big 3' have spoken!

Discussion in 'Games' started by sikkinixx, May 9, 2006.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

i gotta say that this year was less impressive than last year by far! I havent watched all the Nintendo or MS press conferences yet but after watching most of them and reading the details im a little underwhelmed.

Sony having to go first was bad on their part (random draw or something maybe?). A rather boring press conference with the same annoying presenters as last year (yes I know they are up in the hierarchy but seriously, get someone with some personality to do the presentation). Some games *coughMGS4cough* looks downright amazing while others *coughGTHDcough* were not all that impressive. The price is a shocker to many but I for one am happy as hell with it! Up here in Canada the 360 is 499.99 so only another 50 or 150 is less than i thought. Bsides it is a bluray/dvd/cd/ps3/ps2/ps1 all in one! The controller fiasco is a mistake, the design is great (yay dual shock...! umm without the shock..) but the tilt thing is a little tacky. Oh well! still am preordering mine asap. Come on November 17th!

Nintendo did well for themselves in my opinion. They still have the "HEY! remember us?! we make Mario! ANNNND Zelda!" kind of image, as they continue to ride those two franchises. The controller thing irrates me to know end! the Wiimote is cool and all but I need to buy another type to play other games?? (maybe it is included tho?) The lack of HD hurts me deep (my beautiful tv will be unused but ti :( ) and the graphics (not to be a g-whore) are a little 'meh' after seeing the great PS/Xbox ones. But as always, i imagine the Wii (worst....name..ever) will take a solid 3rd place in my game rotation with a half dozen or so awesome titles.

MS had cool games. Halo 3 is gonna be great, hopefully longer than Halo 2. But overall nothing really surprising, except the whole GTA4 on PS3 AND 360. Shocker. The HD-DVD drive makes me angry. Why didnt you add it before?! now i gotta go spend MORE money on it and have a stupid external drive, AND AND you are making NEW 360's that make less heat/noise :mad: but the games still look good and 360 will stay in my rotation as it always does. GoW looks sweet too.

If anyone is still reading this, im amazed. I would say Sony was te big loser of the press conferences but MS sucked it up last E3 but recovered nicely at other conventions before the system went on sale.

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Huh? What other type of controller? The nunchuck comes bundled with it...

Have you watched the conference? The demos are just stunning. And as for franchises, Nintendo debuts four new IPs (ExciteTruck, Disaster, Project HAMMER, and Wii Sports) + four franchise games (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, WarioWare) on the Wii, plus a good two dozen third party titles, and announces freakin' TWENTY first party DS titles and 80 third party titles. It's absolutely crazy, the sheer amount of games being shown. And watching them use the controller really leads to a number of ah-hah moments.

I came away extremely impressed with it.

3. ColdFlame87 macrumors regular

Nintendo has always led the revolution when it comes to controller designs, must we forget that the N64 was the first to revolutionize the use of thumbsticks and it was nintendo as well who introduced the concept of the plus control pad on the NES. So maybe this control will lead a new revoulution

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Yeah Sony! Keep going with the most uncomfortable controller EVER. I wish someone would consider those of use with larger manual units when designing controllers. :mad:

5. Malcster macrumors 6502

I was sold on Wii as soon as i saw Super Mario Galaxy... it has me genuinely excited about a console again for the first time since my N64. (reminds me, i want to set it up to play mario 64 again...)

Microsofts stuff was ok, nice to see some new arcade stuff coming and GTA IV but the rest was pretty 'meh' im never going to own a microsoft phone or vista so the 'Live Anywhere' is all pretty irrelevent to me. Halo 3 did look stunning tho.

Sony is just all mouth and no trousers (and really expensive trousers at that)

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

While I'm sad that Sony couldn't be innovative enough to come up with a new controller design, I think they made up for it in other ways. I'm also very annoyed that the PS3 (at least at launch) won't be available in silver, I've had about enough of black Sony electronics. With that said, the PS3 looks absolutely amazing, and while the cost may be prohibitive to some, i think it will be the dominant console of the next generation. Also, I would be remiss to not mention how f***ing amazing the Final Fantasy XIII trailer is. Metal Gear Solid 4 looks pretty cool too. On a final note, it is kind of underhanded for Sony to copy Nintendo on the motion sensitivity before the systems even launch, but as a consumer I am glad they did.

Xbox 360 is a perfectly fine console, but unless they can come up with some big-name games other than Halo 3, I expect Nintendo to take 2nd place in this round of the console wars.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Actually I've found dissapointment in all three announcements.

Microsofts lack of anything we havent heard about, a teaser for halo - whoopee sh*t :mad:

Sony's contempt at those on a budget - severly crippling the €499 console. (at least the 360 could be brought up to the premium specs - PS3 core is a TURD) :mad:

Nintendo - biggest announcement happend two weeks ago when they announced the new name, other than that I cant say I saw anything that made me drool and the Zelda shipping in two formats pretty pissed me off. No launch date and no price? If they show the usual contempt for Europe, we'll be lucky if we see it this year :mad:

Really looking forward to E3 this year and thought it would be the best yet, how I was fooled :rolleyes: Oh well there's always next year...

8. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Sony - Didn't see it. Probably won't watch it after reading umpteen posts about how much it sucked. I got the news though..... stripped down, overpriced, a year late, still mostly CGI... got it.

Nintendo - Zelda and Mario Galaxies looked awesome. The rest of it looked like gamecube games. I see their strategy but they couldn't have made it at least twice the power of last generation? Saying "it's about feeling" is a nice way to say "our system looks like crap". Give us both, or put out the WiiMote as an add on for gamecube. (yeah, i'm a graphics whore and I'll still buy a Wii)

MS - Halo 3 trailer in real time... check. Gears of War looking sick... check. PC/phone/360 Live integration... check. Forza 2... check. GTA day one... check. Street fighter... check. Mortal Kombat... check. Contra... check. Camera uploads your face in games... check. HD-DVD for the suckers... check.

I'd give the award to MS simply because nobody expected this to be their year and Nintendo failed to showoff Mario sufficiently. It's all about the games and MS's year head start is really going to be obvious this holiday season when you have 100+ 360 games and maybe 10 PS3 games.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah I'd agree with all that.

I'd give it to Xbox, Viva Pianta looks so cool, even if its just a more advanced Animal Crossing.

Gears of War, definetly game of the show though.

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Yup MS had this lock....simply: Gears of War.

Sony conference was boring but when they start playing those games it got very interesting....and there was not alot of CGI...oh the the PSP part was very interesting.

Nintendo...i dont know what to say, i was very disappointed with them....same crap different day....Zelda/MP was awesome

Bless

11. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Intellivision

12. bowzer macrumors 6502

bowzer

All microsoft played were cgi videos of game trailers (aside from crysis and gears of war. btw - why show the dark night time gameplay of crysis when the jungle scenes are alot more impressive?).

At least Sony showed games being played and ingame stuff... odd that a console that is already out is showing cgi vids while sonys is still a few months away and is showing ingame playing stuff. Not to mention in game playing stuff of their "6 degee" remote that was only given to the developers of warhawk the weekend before e3 to incorporate to their game - pretty impressive.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That right there means I'll probably get a 360 along with my Wii. :eek:

14. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

What kills me about that whole thing isn't so much the fact that they did (apparantly at the last minute), but the really, really mixed reviews it's getting in the little hands-on features accross the web. IGN claims it's great - smooth response, not overly sensitive; Joystiq says it's laggy and not very responsive, as well as being difficult to use because it's so twitchy.

Either there are some very different builds floating around the demo area, or IGN is being paid off big time by Sony to sound upbeat about it.

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

:confused: .....Well i heard the same thing about it being twitchy but its an early build so by the time they release it.....

Bless

16. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

IGNs writers said it was "fantastic" and "responsive". [Most] everyone else seems to feel like it's sluggish and overly sensitive. I'm just saying that IGNs reporting is suspect. Sony may pull it off by the time the system is released, maybe not. Can't say; don't really care, either, as I won't be buying one. My critique was mostly with IGN, and somewhat on Sony if they are paying people to say it's so great.

I probably wasn't clear on that. :)

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

gamespot gave it great comments as well......but its an ealry build like i said and i dont think many companies will focus on it except..driving,flying,boxing,WWE games..

Bless

18. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I could be wrong, but I think IGN and GameSpot are owned by the same parent corp.
    EDIT:
    Ya, I was wrong... looks like IGN is Fox and GameSpot is CNet. For some reason I thought they were the same.

19. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Whatever happened to the "Revolution," being able to download any and all of nintendo's library of games? Has nintendo even talked about that yet?

20. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

They mentioned it alright I think but didn't go into detail. I'm pretty sure I saw it on their site as well.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They're avoiding that now. probably still finalising the list. I wish they'd give some examples though just to know what to expect.

Frankly. Mario Bros 3, Sonic 2, Super Metroid and Streets of Rage 2 have me. If the Wii games didn't interest me those 4 would make the system worth buying for sure :cool:
    They might be keeping it secret because there are still bigger secrets that go along with it. New rendering technique? The way you actually acquire the games? Download small Wii games?

22. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

In the "phantom EGM" that "predicted" the speaker, some of the Zelda stuff, and a few other things that turned out to be accurate (as well as suggesting a $249 price) they mentioned that the VC games would not be improved at all. I'm personally fine with that, but it would have been nice if the applied some FSAA to the N64 games...

I think they are trying to keep the focus on the controller and the new way to play games now, rather than pointing out that you CAN do the same ole same old with the Wii as well.

23. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Xbox Live is getting Contra, Sonic, SF2, and MK... are we going to end up with exclusive classics spread over multiple console network services? **sigh**

EDIT: And it was said all Live entries would be updated to HD resolution graphics... nice.

24. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Was I the only one disappointed with Twilight Princess on the Wii? It seemed the Wii-mote was thrown in there at the last minute. You can slash the Wii-mote to swing your sword on Red Steel--- a THIRD PARTY GAME -- but you have to hit a friggin' button to do it on Zelda? Gimmie a break!

25. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Those are all arcade ports, so the NES/SNES versions are all still "available" for possible publication on the Wii... As far as the HD resolutions, it's just going to be upscaled sprites, unless they are actually going to redo all the art, in which case it's a remake not a port of a classic.