The BIG Leak!

Discussion in 'Community' started by stubeeef, Mar 3, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I recently tried to wrap my mind around string theory with little success, but loved the "common man" term "leak" for the universe. The idea the Universe is leaking of all thing Gravity, was very interesting to me.

Link

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

"This repulsive, unknown force..."

Sounds like Longhorn.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Fascinating. I've been reading/listening to Brian Greene's books, and he does a good job of describing string theory. This is a nice alteration to current theory and does, in a bizarre way, make sense.

So why doesn't energy from other universes leak into here? Or does it?

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Having had a lesson on nuclear fission and fusion today, I see plenty of space for it to leak in/out. There seem to be a lot of 'tricks' where my teacher says anti-matter/dark matter literally enters the equation, or absords energy (goes to parallel universe), but it seemed that sometimes new masses popped up or their were inconsistensies in the masses before and after the fission (entering from parallel universe?).

I really don't know what I'm talking about!

5. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

It could be that it transforms, like one day it's a field of daisys the next day a black hole! :p
    Sorry, just had to add something remarkably dumb. impulsive.

The transformation, leak is indeed interesting. Blackholes be truely "holes"?

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

most of this stuff is way over my head, i deal with the creative stuff in the world, art, literature and the like

but this stuff is interesting nonetheless, and its fun to try and comprehend this stuff, i bet my gf, who is loves physics will love to hear about this stuff

i just wish i could grasp some more of this, i mean i understand the laymans terms, but i know that there is so much more...

7. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I have read Hawkings over and over trying to digest some of it, about all I can retain is the table of contents.

Like calling beatlejuice, when need to summon mongothegeek.

MONGO! MONGO! MONGO!

<me hits refresh to see if the great mongo is here yet.............>

8. joetronic macrumors 6502

His books are amazing. I just read his older one, "This Elegant Universe." All I can say is wow.

9. apple2991 macrumors 6502

There is nothing more creative than science. Especially when dealing with subjects like matter, energy, gravite, relative physics, etc. It is infinitely more creative and artistic--it has to be.

Literature is art for the cretins.

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Try Greene. He's very good at explanations.

11. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

Is that really how you meant to word that? It doesn't sound very considerate. I'm not sure that many scientists would agree with your assessment of their profession.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

creativity comes in all forms, all professions, i am just entrenched in the more traditionally looked at arts

13. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  14. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    ROFL...

Guess thats a signs that I spend too much time on MR...

Sheesh try to work at work.

I personally have issues wrapping my mind around the 6 dimensions of string theory though one of them I think is only supposed to be a quanta wide so its an A or B state.

I read an article about the ever expanding Universe in Analog a couple of months back. They were studying the Hubble constant and trying to come up with a rate of increase in this mysterious repulsive force.

I can't remember the whole spiel but the idea was that the repulsive force might be increasing and the end result will be in a few million years that it will be more powerful than gravity on the local scale, and eventually after that more powerful than nuclear strong...

15. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Assuming that mass exists in the other ones it should.

Think about living in an apartment. You can hear noise from all of the neighbor apartments, and noise from yours escapes into theirs. If there is noone in the other apartments you still loose noise even though you don't gain any.

16. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

Ok, let's be honest with ourselves.

If there's one thing I've learned from the time I've spent studying quantum physics (and having friends that know even more explain it to me), its that nobody understands string theory. Nobody. Not a single person in the world. Not you, not me, not Stephen Hawkings, not the person that came up with it.

On another point, this reminds me vaguely of Timeline.

17. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Brilliant, MongoTheGeek. That's an analogy that I can wrap my head around.
    I've always been a bit interested in this area, but intimidated by my complete lack of knowledge. Sounds like I'll have to check out this Greene fellow.

18. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Are you sure that's not just another theory?

See why I summoned the wise Mongo?! :D

19. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

In true astrophysicist form, let's bet a stack of playboys on which hypothesis is right.