The Bizarre Steup....

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by reykjavik, Jan 8, 2005.

1. reykjavik macrumors 6502

I am connecting to the internet via my friends high speed connection. However I am using my Airport Express as a "wireless client" so that I can still print and use the wireless music (which believe it or not required no set up, just worked). So heres my question: I would like som etype of security. He's on windows, Im on mac. Can my security be as simple as me disabling "Windows File Sharing" and then he wont be able to see any of the files on my HD??

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Pretty much. Also be sure other things like FTP are off as well... not that it likely matters. And note that, even with Windows Sharing on, your friend would only see shared folders/printers anyway.

3. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya know whats a little disconcerting....For some reason when I try to chgange the linksys to WEP secuirty, then my wireless printing/music cease to work. When I change the Airport Express to WEP it says "your router doesn't support this" and it dissapears altogether forcing me to do a hard reset to find it again..... So is there any way to have the best of both worlds? Secuity features AND wireless printing/music?

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I've always found Linksys/AirPort hookups to require black magic and arcane knowledge if you want truly secure connections and nice sharing/music.

While I'm sure (mostly) that it's possible, I do not know how to do it. Sorry.

5. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah well...so long as we got it working, maybe in the future theyll be updates for security. Thanks, I checked off windows and ftp sharing. This move has saved me over 40 bucks a month!

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Nice! And, of course, if you're using secure connections (https, ssh, etc.), the wireless part is already secure anyway; it's mainly an issue (and then, mostly theoretically, since it's doubtful someone's listening in) with unsecure protocols (http, telnet, ftp, etc.).