The blurry .jpeg....

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Weirdwolf, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Weirdwolf macrumors newbie

(I hope this is in the right forum, sorry if it isn't...)

Anywho, can anyone tell me why I can have a nice, crisp looking JPEG image here on my Mac, however when I view the exact same image on many PCs the image is blurry or distorted for some reason? How do I fix this problem?

2. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

This should go under Help/Question, but I am sure it will get moved...

Anyway.

Need more info - what applications make the JPEG blurry? How did you save the JPEg, etc. Can you attach screen captures
    blurry vs. not-blurry?

I know that IE in windows will rescale a JPEG by default to fit in the window, this could cause the blurriness.

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

What sort of video card does the PC have? What sort of screen resolution and bit depth are they running? I find typically that the problem is with the poor PC graphics hard ware. Most pcs have ****ty graphics and thats the norm. You have to either build or upgrade a PC or pay more to start with to get a PC with decent hardware.

4. Weirdwolf thread starter macrumors newbie

You may have something there. The problem occurs no matter what application I use to save the .jpg image, but looks great here on my Mac, and on some PCs. My mom has a cheapie Dell computer, and the problem exists on it as well as some others I've used. I have a website (in my sig) and some of the members of my board have said before that some of my images are blurry.

Now... how do you tell someone nicely that their graphics card is crappy? ;) lol

5. acj macrumors 6502

saving

I think it's something wrong with how you saved it. Just how blury? What program did you use? What program are you viewing with? Did you use web-safe colors (ie photoshop "save for web" option)

6. Weirdwolf thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: saving

"Save for Web" option in PS 7 produces the same effect.

7. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I had a monitor that I brought home from work and I attached it to second Mac that I was using. I was amazed at how crappy everything looked. It guess it was a cheap monitor.

Post it to the web and let's take a look at it.

8. Weirdwolf thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it's not a perfect example, but the logo at the top of my web site is somewhat blurry on some computers;

http://www.transformershomage.com

Also, in the 'Database' section of that site, the box art of the character in the upper left corner of each one appears blurry on some PCs, but again, on my Mac they look great.

9. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

10. jvaska macrumors 6502

hey ww...

this is a hunch...but the problem with the logo image at the top...it seems that you have resized this with your tags...this would account for some strange results...resizing lo-res images is a no-no...

the image on the "database" page...it could be the same problem, but your image is pretty jagged...an anti-aliasing issue and how you prepared your transparency...use a dark grey background but make sure that your red outline is a little more smoothed out if you can...

i'm just guessing...it's stuff to check out...jv

11. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i would discount the crappy video card. they don't affect the crispness of an image on thee screen (text, maybe, as far as antialiasing goes), unless they can't do 24-32 bit color, and almost every card in every PC will do this. a crappy video card can give you bad video performance and stuff; images should all look the same, barring changes in resolution.

that said, a monitor can have a DRAMATIC effect on image quality. i've always used trinitrons, and now i use my LCD on the powerbook, so i am spoiled, but some CRTs are just plain trashy, and LCDs can be even worse if you don't drop some cash for them. i would suspect this as the culprit.

12. Choppaface macrumors 65816

hey, another transfan :D

note that if your viewers are using AOL as their browser, I know the old versions drew really blurry images to the screen whenever the 'use compressed images' setting was turned on (which it is by default)