The boogie man keeps me up at night!!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by taeclee99, Oct 5, 2003.

1. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Well not exactly. I have been suffering from sleep paralysis for about ten years now.

During these episodes when I am asleep I feel a presence pressing down on my chest and I cannot move. Sometimes it is accompanied by a feeling of being choked.

I used to think I was being visited by evil forces at night (don't laugh) but now I now that these dreams are nothing but manifestations of a known sleep disorder called sleep paralysis.

Even with this knowledge...the experiences still frighten the heebie-jeebies out of me. I used to get these dreams once a week but now they seldom occur.

Has this happened to anyone else out there? If so how do you guys cope with it?

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Re: The boogie man keeps me up at night!!!!

I've had my share of issues, but they have been getting better besides the case of insomnia. I am not familiar with sleep paralysis, though. Is it a physical thing or is it emotional/psychological?

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Those are the chemistry of the body, you sould see a psiquiatrist because they can give you something to get the balance of your hormones or waht ever that is.

I have something like that right now, it is not a nightmare, I have a crush on a girl in Germany and I can not stop writing her emails.

My case is different but it comes because I have too much endorfines (to much pleasure) and when I'm not doing something towards here I get like crazy.

You should see some medical psicologist or something, your case seems simple but you have to do something about it. It is not your bran, it is a chemical unbalance.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: The boogie man keeps me up at night!!!!

I used to have a similar situation every 4 years. I would be as if I was awake and there was this beautiful, dark-haired woman sitting on the side of my bed causing me to stop breathing. Within a few seconds, some strength would come from within and stop her. She would then be gone and I would be completely awake.

This completely stopped after I took a trip back to Japan, had one case of sleep paralysis, and returned to the U.S.A.

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

This can be a terrifying disorder. I suffered from it as a child but grew out of it, i remember incorporating it into my nightmares. Many people who suffer from this do actually assert that it's a religious or extraterrestrial experience... which then makes them avoid sleep therapy to combat it. Psychiatrists can be of limited help; they can help you learn to control the psychological element of reaction and possibly some of the causes. much of it is believed to be psyisological. I hope you too either grow out of it or find your own way of combatting it...

I have a friend that suffers from these in conjunction with cyclic dreaming. Very scary.

pnw

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I have something similar where I stop breathing while I'm asleep. Sometimes I see and/or hear things when I'm just drifting off. Freaky. Your symptoms sound more psychological, but it could be physical. You may want to see someone professionally, though they may just want to throw drugs at you. Try to find someone you are comfortable with.

It's probably not a succubus (incubus if you're female). If it was, you'd know.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I was wondering if westerners had sleep paralysis as I'd never heard of it in the U.S.A. until this thread.

Now, I know.

8. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

it's not entirely common, but it does happen. i have a good friend who experiences occasional sleep paralysis, and two or three with night terrors. (another parasomnia characterized by a sudden awakening into a persistent state of terror, usually with no recall of nightmares.)

taeclee99, if you've been experiencing this for a decade, i'm assuming you've sought help or at least done your own research into it; but for anyone else out there who's curious, there's plenty of info available. these and other parasomnias are recognized in the DSM and any competent doctor should be able to point you in the right direction for help and treatment.

did anyone read the NY Times Magazine feature story on rare parasomnias a few months ago? really, really interesting.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You could possibly be suffering from sleep apnea. It is always best to go have your doctor make a diagnosis. Sleep disorders can have serious consequences, that is why seeking medical advice is prudent.

http://www.sleepapnea.org/geninfo.html#defined

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Over the years, I've had a few similar episodes, but never really thought that much about it. It didn't scare me and almost all my dreams I can control to certain point.

If I'm falling - including the anxiety of hitting the ground, I tell myself to fly, etc.....it works well and I don't have nightmares, just suspenseful dreams.

D

11. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

during REM sleep, the body is paralyzed. this happens in everyone and keeps you from flailing about in the most intense moments of brain activity (your brain is sometimes more active in REM sleep than in your waking state). the problem arises when you wake up suddenly from REM and the brain has not yet "awakened" the rest of the body, causing a few seconds of fear, as the person is conscious, but can't move. this happens very infrequently (both mind and body usually wake up simultaneously), but most people will experience it a few times in their lives.

tacelee99, it sounds like something is jolting you out of REM sleep and consistently causing the body to remain paralyzed for a longer period than normal. you could try to find the source of these awakenings (a particular dream or preoccupation), but there's no physical remedy since it's a natural reaction.

"don't be scared", as silly as it sounds, is about the best thing you can do. sleep paralysis is in no way harmful (it's meant to keep us safe), so the best thing to do is not worry about it.

12. Makosuke macrumors 603

Although for some reason sleep paralysis is a more widely recognized issue in Japan (called kanashibari there) and maybe other asian countries, it affects everyone. I found this article reasonably interesting as a summary of what's up with it:

http://www.infonet.co.jp/Aso/win/int-news/2001/in2001_0402.htm

My wife used to have these when she was younger, and I did and still occasionally have something similar, although in my case it is always short and directly connected to a dream (it's clear that my body just refuses to wake up), so I never associated them with something supernatural like some people. Unfortunately for me, once it starts it'll happen every time I drift off that night, so I can have half a dozen very unplesant re-awakenings in the space of an hour.

What's really weird is that sometimes sleep paralysis is accompanied by imagined sounds as well, which I've heard described as extremely frightening--like women screaming or someone whispering disturbing things.

13. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

That's called sleep apnea, which is different from sleep paralysis. You may want to mention this to your doctor, since sleep apnea is considered to be one of the more serious sleep disorders. It's possible for the obstruction of your breathing passages to be severe enough that you don't start breathing again...

The article linked by Makosuke is interesting. I used to have infrequent episodes of sleep paralysis starting around puberty, but curiously, I haven't had a true instance of sleep paralysis since I read about the phenomenon. That's kind of disappointing, because supposedly the best way to get through an episode of sleep paralysis is to relax, which apparently can result in an out-of-body experience....I wanna try it!

What I hate is when I'm still mostly dreaming during one of these, and I'll be certain I'm lying on my back being crushed by something--until I realize that I'm actually lying on my stomach, and my mattress is what's pressing into me. Stupid! :rolleyes:

14. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Heh. I'm usually falling. From the roof of my house (30+ feet) That one TV commercial where the guy skis down the side of a skyscraper gave me nightmares for weeks. :rolleyes: Something about heights...

15. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

What really gets me is when I wake up suddenly and I feel like I just literally fell a good story down into my bed as if I were dropped from the ceiling...that happens more often than I'd like and I swear, it feels like I actually did fall onto my bed.

16. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

here's one: i have several friends who all experience the same thing. occasionally (esp. during periods of stress) they will have nightmares and actually scream in their sleep.

except they're asleep, and so they have little or no control over their vocal cords, so what comes out is this almost inhuman-sounding strangled wail -- i've heard it many times and all three of them agree it's probably scarier to wake up next to someone doing this than to actually do it yourself.

they don't usually wake up during or after an episode, but if you wake them up they're fine -- none of the traditional night terrors post-awakening confusion or disorientation. also, they usually remember their dreams (in fact, they're usually extra-vivid) which again does not fit with the usual night terrors syptoms.

i only know three people who do this, and none of those three have ever met anyone else who does this -- have any of you ever heard of this? my friends and i are very curious as to how common this is, or if anyone has any info on it.

17. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I can't say I know if I scream like that, but I do know I've had some insanely vivid nightmares that just drive me insane once in a while.

18. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I've had a similar experience....

Its very scary to go through that sleep paralysis it sounds like, hope its not dangerous :(

19. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Sleep paralysis has never happened to me. However, I have woken up thinking incoherent thoughts. One time I was under the impression that Thomas Jefferson supported Ronald Reagan's campaign in 1980, since he was obviously still alive at the time. Another time I was simply thinking, "samurai".