The Boredom thread + Wasteland

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Killyp, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I'm sure the mod who moved it to the wasteland had good reasons for doing so, but I was enjoying that thread :( Can it be moved back?

If so, thanks :)

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hehehe, don't worry, I'm sure this thread will draw you right up next to the old thread to cuddle with it. :D

3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I reported it as a spammy thread that didn't seem to ask much in terms of thought or content from its posters. In fact, it seemed more like a chat thread than anything (3 violations of the forum rules right there).

This might be as good a place as any to hash out that conversation, though -- the line between a thread that's meaningless chat and a thread that's chatty but of value. Not sure myself where that line is, but used my own judgment in this case.

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

"Boredom" thread = excuse to inflate post count.

By definition, any thread that asks you to post because you are bored, or because someone else is bored, is spamlike.

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I don't think so. I was having fun, not worrying about my post count.

Why?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You need an excuse?

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Since you asked, yes. Usually a post is created either to (1) answer a question, (2) ask a question, or (3) contribute in some meaningful way to a thread (offering a salient opinion, for example).

A thread whose sole purpose is to relieve someone of their boredom may be going too far, ESPECIALLY if the thread title is "Boredom Thread". If you're bored, there are plenty of ways to relieve boredom that don't involve a thread becoming a free-for-all.

Anyway, one of the mods made the call. Why doesn't one of them explain the official policy (if there is one) concerning "boredom threads"? (Unless thedude's explanation is sufficient.)

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

The Political forums don't count towards post count - perhaps we should move threads such as "the boredom thread" over there instead of wastelanding them.

As long as it doesn't count, why not let people have a little fun and interact? :)

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Man, the regulars in the Politics forum would hate that.

So, yeah, it's a good idea. :p

10. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

The boredom thread was fun. But not really necessary. I wasn't surprised that it got wasted.
    Shame though...
    And this thread is going to get locked or wasted.

I never got to post my high score for the bunny game....
    But I got a 1,698,740. Losers. :p

Attached Files:

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We try to avoid threads that we think are likely to collect spam, i.e., add more clutter than value to the forums. Deciding which threads fall into that category is a judgment call for the moderators. Threads with a vague purpose are more likely to be judged that way. It's generally not promising when a thread begins with an "I'm bored" comment, since it's a sign that almost anything posted would be "better than nothing."

In general, if a thread encourages people to post but members are unlikely to have any interest in reading posts by others, we consider it a useless thread. That can apply to threads asking random questions (What's your Mac's uptime? What's the weather like where you are? What's your favorite color?) but sometimes those threads generate interesting discussions. Again, it's a judgment call.

Over the years, we've experimented with allowing random question threads, "post a picture" threads, "tell a joke" threads, etc., with mixed results. Some of them are OK, but it's easy for them to become "attractive nuisances" where people try to build up post counts with little benefit to others. Even though nobody is forced to read threads they are not interested in, many members make use of the New Posts feature and the Forum Spy, so those threads can still be an annoyance.

Not every thread has to be a source of great intellectual discussion, but we try to keep the average quality up when we can. Also please note that most actions by the moderators are the result of reports or complaints by members. With thousands of posts per day, we see only a fraction on our own, so we rely on members to help keep the forums in good working order. It's hard to spot all problems and be consistent, but consistency is our one of our goals.

We understand that nobody wants to have to wade through outright spam, but there always will be differences of opinion about threads of borderline usefulness. Suggestions/discussions about our policies continue to be welcome.

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Darn you... [​IMG]

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If you really want to piss them off in the PC just call it the Republican Boredom thread.:D

14. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

We should start a petition to get the thread back!

PETITION (add your name as we go along.)
    1.Cassie
    etc...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.