The Boss speaks out!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I'm of the opinion that artists have every right to speak their conscience, but I don't usually give them anymore weight than anyone else. However, when Bruce Springsteen breaks his reticence to participate in partisan politics and speaks out, it is something about which to sit up and take notice. For those that missed it, here is his editorial in the NY Times.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Excellent. Very thoughtful and well-written. He's going to come under full-scale attack from the Right for speaking out, but I'm sure he knew that in advance.

3. friarbayliff macrumors regular

Good - I like to see some backbone in this world of mixed messages and political semantics.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Link, please.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

IOW, you can't prove your allegation, so the person you accuse is the liar. Nice try.

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

So what? He's still talking about the current president. What difference does it make if it was 10 months ago or 10 days ago?

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

BTW, this is nothing more than an alleged quote. The source is NewsMax.

Although he's rarely been quoted speaking to them directly, how Springsteen felt about these issues has always been clear, to those who listen closely to his lyrics. Now he's decided to meet these issues head-on, instead of obliquely. Accordingly, it becomes essential for the Right to discredit him, to call him a liar about something, however trivial.

For those who don't have a subscription to the NYT web site, here's the closing paragraph from his editorial:

It is through the truthful exercising of the best of human qualities - respect for others, honesty about ourselves, faith in our ideals - that we come to life in God's eyes. It is how our soul, as a nation and as individuals, is revealed. Our American government has strayed too far from American values. It is time to move forward. The country we carry in our hearts is waiting.​

8. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

He doesn't seem real big into politics, he just slips up occasionally, guess he decided to jump into the deep end this time.

9. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I'm happy to see famous people give voice to my opinions on people like Dubya.

Point 1) they have the right to freedom of speech just like I do.

Point 2) they have a platform that I don't so that is why I'm happy to see it.

10. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

They're doing a whole series of concerts in support of ousting Bush. Good stuff.

I for one will be trying to get tickets to see James Taylor and the 'Chicks.

http://www.moveon.org