The Brazilian GP Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Oct 24, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Finally we come to the final race of the season... :( at what is quite possibly my least favourite of all the races... I can't quite put my finger on it but for some reason I always preferred Rio for the GP back in the '80's.

Bit late with this thread... there's only an hour to go before the start of the race... so quali predictions go out of the window for this race!

Biggest surprise is to see Schu down in 18th, after a big accident in 2nd practice yesterday which resulted in him having to have a replacement engine (he's actually using the the mule) and as such demoted 10 places down the grid! Rubens had a simply storming lap though... and upholds the Scuderia's honour!!

Both Monster and Kimi look very, very strong here... but I'm guessing on Kimi being stronger in the race than Montoya, knowing McLaren's preference to run more fuel at the expense of the best grid position... expect Montoya to stop a lap or 2 earlier than Rubens and Kimi.

Anyway... according to the F1 site, there's 80% chance of rain due at 2.00pm local time, meaning that it's due right at the start of the race... hopefully it'll totally pi$$ it down to give Schu a helping hand and spice things up abit... but either way if it stays dry I hope he does more of a Monza than a China!! :eek: :p

Race prediction.

Dry

1. Rubens (finally wins his home GP)
    2. Raikkonen
    3. Button
    4. Montoya
    5. Schumacher jr.
    6. Schumacher

Wet

1. Rubens (finally wins his home GP)
    2. Schumacher
    3. Fisi
    4. Kimi
    5. Button
    6. Alonso

Thoughts??

2. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

It's raining... :D

It would be nice for Coulthard to win it, farewell with victory...
    Montoya / R. Schumacher would be ok for them.
    David is likely saying goodbye to F1.

Schumi.. err, ah, he can wait till Australia to start again.

it's raining ... :D

Edit: now is dry... go montoya!

3. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i dont think this will be DC's last race. he will find a drive somewhere. especially if there is no buyer for jaguar as then some teams will be able to run 3 cars. well that is what was said on tv last night (though i may be talking rubbish as i was half asleep as the time!). but i honestly think DC will be driving for williams - back where it all started for him.

well i had better go and watch some of the race now! lets hope it is exciting unlike the rest of the season bar about 2 races.

oh also i think button deserves a win. he has had such a good season apart from that elusive victory!

4. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I do Hope DC to have a place in BMW-Williams... that would be nice for his last year... then, place for JB.

5. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i think JB and DC in a team together would be good. british all the way!

6. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

7. russed macrumors 68000

russed

schumacher didnt win. that makes watching the race almost exciting!

8. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Cracking race... storming start by the boy Kimi... :) not so storming start by Rubens though... :rolleyes:

The absolute worst conditions for the Bridgestone runners... damp :( so not good... those Michelins are really rather good when the conditions are transitional exactly like we saw at Monza!!

18th-7th by Schu, even with a spin... :eek: :p ;) that F2004 didn't look especially sorted... he was fighting the mule all the way through, some serious oversteer judging by the in car shots!

Nice job by Mac-Monster didn't think he had it in him... especially as he's appeared seriously de-motivated and way off the pace for the last several races!! great way to finish his time at Williams though! can't wait for next season Kimi Vs. Montoya! :D (a legend will be made, and a pretender shall be revealed) and personally I reckon Kimi is going to hand him his arse! that McLaren had no right being 2nd today!! and with Montoya not looking especially... errr lightweight, we're deffo set for a fight next season, will it match the Prost/Senna struggle of '88/'89?? who knows... but it should be fascinating to watch!!

Either way it's all gravy isn't it... the 2004 F1 season will be remembered for 2 things and 2 things only, the near absolute domination of one driver and the most fabled team in F1 history! ;)

15-18 for Ferrari (matches the records of McLaren '88 and Ferrari '02)
    Schu wins 13-18 (setting new record)
    Schu wins 7th WDC (setting a new record)
    Schu scores 148pts (setting new record)
    Ferrari score 262pts (setting new record)
    Ferrari wins 14th WCC (setting new record)...

Next year... the Pole Position record falls ;)

Jaw dropping!!

Only 132 days till Melbourne!! :D

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Haven't watched it yet, so thanks for not making an obvious spoiler! :D

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    really an anticlimactic end to the season

but then with the drivers and constructors championship already in the bag at such an early stage what could we expect

11. Pedro Estarque macrumors regular

Yeah... the GP was 20 min from home. Now It's an airticket away :(
    And it was a much nicer track then Interlagos in my humble opinion. And for the record Rubens sucks... we miss Senna.

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I wasn't very excited about it, as I was watching the replay from about half-distance, and flipping between that and Game 2 of the Fall Classic. Of course, this race completely ****ed me over in the standings. Button's retirement, Ruben's losing 2 spots, and Webber getting konked by Klien all cost me points. I'll be happy if I even stay in the top 20 :(

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well I'll be damned, I actually gained a spot to finish 19th on the season. Very very glad I made the switch to Merc engines :) And it also seem I had Jordan chassis for this race... still no points, but I didn't expect much for £1m.

14. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Jacarepagua always offered up some great racing, in a quite spectacular setting... with that mountain in the background and always seemed to have the bluest of blue skies. :)

If anything the layout would probably benefit current F1 cars more than Interlagos because of the slow corner leading onto the long back straight which would allow the cars to get close as they entered the straight... '89 saw lots of overtaking there... :) as far as I know though, they've built an oval onto it and CART race there.

Well you never know... Brazil might be cheering another Senna in F1 soon, if Bruno Senna fulfills the promise of his legendary name :) also Nelson Piquet Jr is making waves so you guys might have something to party about soon enough! ;)

15. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Thanks.

Hey iGav,

I'm sure there are lots of people besides myself who enjoyed your pre and post race analysis, thanks very much for a good read and all your effort with keeping the season alive in thread form.

Looking forward to next season despite another layer of "we're more important than racing cars" meddlers getting their mits on the proceedings. oh well.

anyway, I enjoyed reading so - Thanks :)

16. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I'm rather disappointed Coulthard couldn't make more of his race. I really hope he goes to Williams next year, not Pizzonia.. :eek:

17. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i'm not really sure how good a racer coulthard is even though i like him (mainly as he is british). he really hasnt ever done much that makes you go wow. but anyway i def. want to see him with williams next year. i cant beleive they are considering pizzonia. anthony davidson would be a good second choice as apparantly he has shown some good pace in testing.

18. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Like a lot of the drivers (even Michael Schumacher at times) he is sometimes lacklustre. Ok, more often than not. But he has sometimes driven some truly superb races (not so many recently) and performed some superb overtaking moves on Schumey. I'd like to see him there, partly because he's British, but also because he's still experienced and better than a lot of the drivers and potential drivers out there. He could do with stopping thinking he is better than Schumacher, but then you've got to aim high haven't you?!

19. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

how cannot you be? it should be very clear that a driver who has driven ten years in best teams and achieved nothing is not a good one. same goes to ralf schumacher, too - those two drivers should be wise enough to retire already.

(well, rubens too is never going to be a star, but he at least can drive.)

20. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i know that his past showing that he has spent his entire career with williams ofr mclaren shows that he is a decent racer. of course that is the case as otherwise he would have 1) never made it into f1 in the first place and 2) have stayed with such decent teams for all that time.

all i was meaning that he has never done much that is really special that will keep him in the history books. he has usually just won one or two races a season and that is about it.

yay 500th post!

21. Pedro Estarque macrumors regular

Of course I cheer for Pizzonia mostly because he's Brazilian, but trying to look at it in a more rational way, I think Coulthard has had his chance to show what he can do. Young drivers should have a chance to shake Schumacher's monotonous reign

22. Pedro Estarque macrumors regular

One reason that might have contributed a lot for Coulthard's long career williams and mclaren is that he is a great team player. He doesn't cause much trouble like other temperamental drivers and he seams to give good feedback about the car ( which is essential for a successful team )

23. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Coulthard should be remembered for saying something like "Anyone can win a drivers championship if they have the best car"

I think he was slagging off Mr Hill at the time and I also think it's only fair that that sort of comment should hover in the back of coulthards mind while he contemplates early retirement.

Look at it any way you like, Dave C has been driving tasty kit for as long as I can remember.

24. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

yes, look at the sorry state the Jaguars were in for their last race...