The British Weather!!!!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by markoibook, Aug 3, 2004.

1. markoibook macrumors regular

Got to love the british weather...

Down here in Wiltshire, absolutely amazing hot and sunny weather on Saturday and Sunday.
    Hot and stuffy on Monday.
    Massive storms, dark skies, powercuts and floods on Tuesday!!!

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    tell me about it, living my first year in england has taught me one thing, dont trst the weather peopel

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

This should be in Community, but meh...

Yeah, nice day, then when I left work it fell down, thunder, the works. But it was still 25 degrees and horribly stuffy even with the rain...I dunno...

4. iGav macrumors G3

I f'in hate summer here... :rolleyes:

I'm a Autumn/Winter man myself ;) :D

5. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    o/~ Look around, Leaves are brown and the sky is a hazy shade of winter... o/~

Its been dark and dreary here for weeks. We are actually just getting the first real feeling of summer and I am going. Odd that I never look at the weather considering its my job.

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

igav you hear that thunder that just went off, jesus christ.

never ever ever ever trust weather people they are evil and must be stopped.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree with you iGAV. Lucky for us the weather does change. We are currently in a miserable weather period mid 80's and muggy. Starting Thursday mid 70's with lower humidity. I live for those days. On the bright side Summer is already over half over, just a little over a month and our weather will be back full time.

8. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

I experienced the crazy weather today, I was in Worcester and then Coventry and it was so dark and grey with a temperature of 23c on the thermometer - then, a HUGE thunder and lightening storm begins, with the lightening being of the ground striking and also the spreading through the clouds variety! We then drove home to South East Wales and the weather stayed much the same for all the way to Gloucester (which had flash floods everywhere), then suddenly, within maybe 10 miles the grey clouds cleared, the rain stopped, the roads were bone dry and the sun started shining!!

It felt like going from about 8pm to 2pm, the difference in light, really odd. Wonder what it'll be like tomorrow..?!

9. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Me too...

On this side of Germany (North-West) the weather has been terrible, I came today to work with my NY Yankees Baseball T-Shirt and is cloudy, rain on the way, yesterday we had no less than 26° ... I do like fall and winter

10. garybUK Guest

garybUK

The thunder woke me up last night about 3am, massive thunder storms and bucketing rain, but us northerners are kinda used to it :) good job ive just invested in those ups' but no power cuts as yet ... good 'ole' national grid.

The weather has been dark and really close (humid) i think more storms are coming.... roll on winter!

11. Ari_0 macrumors regular

Yeah British weather is getting more unpredictable. Its all down to global warming. Give it a couple of years and it will be so hot in August, people would stay indoors.

I was walking around wearing a shortsleve shirt and shorts holding an umbrella. Some people thought I was a lunatic :eek:

12. russed macrumors 68000

russed

its a bit depressing, i only got back from my hols on monday night and i have so far been through thunder, really really havy rain, roasting temperatures, and bad humidity. great british weather.

13. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Ahhh...but you forget...you've got some of the best beer to console youself whilst indoors....

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

brewed in the uk beer is at best ok but still far better than the week crap that is american beer, the best stuff is european or austrailian import.

my favorite brewed in the uk drink is any type scrumpie (cornish cider) it's so nice that i'd drink it even if it was not alcaholic. but it's ahrd to get in london and at best your hard pushed to find a bottle of newcastle brown or 6x (nice cider not any of that strongbow crap)

btw never ever ever drink fullers or youngs london lager it is like puke in a can the most crapy drink ever. if your in a london pub stick to stella artois or kronenbourg or any decent looking bitter (I quite like bass).

drink guinness at your own peril it's a love it or hate it type thing.

I love being a 15 year old that looks 18 it's great

15. winwintoo macrumors 6502

How discouraging. I was looking forward to my week in London at the end of August but with all you're pi$$ing and moaning about the weather now I think maybe I should just stay home here in Canada. I can't drink so beer wouldn't help.

Darn.

m

16. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

A good English ale is great - go to a beer festival (organised by CAMBRA)

As for being 15 and looking 18 well I hope you feel the same in a few years time. Alcohol ages the skin and you already look old..... have fun when your 30 and look 50.

Good to some Brits here

17. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

dont worry as i'm typeing now the sky is blue and it's around 27 degrees the sun is out and i'm sitting on my mac looking at mac rumors.

it's not as bad as people say it's just that it's a bit random.

dont let it bother you

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

belive me i dont drink much i just enjoy the odd pint of bitter. it takes over 10 pints to get me under the table pissed out of my head and i've only done that once. and i wont do it again for a long while.

when i went to bristol a few weeks ago i went to the ashton court festival they had a fair few small brewers on a stand bit pricey but some nice ale.

19. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

I'd still recommend coming over, but remember to bring: a big umbrella, shorts and t-shirts, winter clothes, sun block, a scarf...can you see where I'm going here!? Our weather is so unpredictable, it's no wonder we're always (apparantly) talking about it!

20. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Good thing I bought that room-sized suitcase then :D :D :D

So the next question is how much money will I need. As a gauge, how much is a *big Mac* or a ticket to the cinema or one of those beers you spoke about??

Thanks, m

21. markoibook thread starter macrumors regular

Of course its the Great Britain Beer Festival this week - check out www.gbbf.org.uk

Weather update - its sunny and gorgeous at the mo - though still not as nice as Saturday and Sunday were :D

22. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

a pint of beer: £1.50-£2.00 dont pay more.

cinima: £7

dont buy torist crap it's overpriced and who wants a t-shirt that says london on it anayway

theres a giant wheel on the river go on it.

theres the imax cinima on the south bank it's like the second biggest in europe or somthing like that.

and what ever you do dont feed the god damn pigions or buy pigion feed from a hobo in trafalga square.

if you want to see all the stuff the british empire stole from around the world (mummys the elgin marbles various pieces of priceless perisan art) go to the british meuseum.

going to a pub is the type of thing that you dont do on your own it's the type of thing you go to alfter a long days work/school with some mates or something. make sure you go with someone preferably two, you will get very strange looks as a lone canadian tourist.

oh and on a final note be prepared to be called american.

23. winwintoo macrumors 6502

I can afford to pay double for a movie, I'll stay out of the corner pub, and I won't feed the pigeons, but PLEASE don't call me an American. What can I do to protect myself. Should I tatoo a maple leaf on my right cheek??:D

Thanks for the advice. Your suggestions all sound interesting as I'll be traveling with two 14 yo boys - and my a gray-haired old grandma :cool: :cool:

m

24. Ari_0 macrumors regular

Woo hooo. Humidity galore :D

*sweats uncontrollabley*

I tell yea mate, at this point I'd drink anything cold; regardless of alcohol level or taste. But ciders are ok, Stella or Carling is not too shabby either. Although Carling taste watered down beer.

A bigmac is two quid (pounds). A travelcard is £5.10 for the centre of London (zone 1-2) £4.30 off-peak (after10am). Total 6 zones only zones 3-6 are the residential suberbs of London. So no taking pictures there pls.

This weather is as good as it gets so make the best of it :rolleyes: Have fun winwintoo

25. winwintoo macrumors 6502

I think we will make the best of it and enjoy every minute. I've never been to England and my grandson has never traveled at all so it will be an exciting time for both of us. We're meeting a well-traveled cousin who's visiting his Dad for the summer so I'm sure he knows his way around by now. I just hope I don't run out of steam before I run out of time or money :D

Take care, Margaret