The built in Dictionary/Thesaurus on the OSX F12 Widget - Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tkjazzer, Mar 29, 2007.

1. tkjazzer macrumors 6502

Hello,

Could someone tell me who makes the built in F12 widget on OSX? Is it made by apple? Who is in charge of adding words? Does it update with apple updates? Who can I email to get words added? Where is the word-bank dictionary file that has all the words/definitions on my Mac?

If you could answer any of these questions it would point me in the right direction. Thank you,

TK

MacBook Pro (Intel Core 2 Duo) OS X.4.9

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

AFAIK - the Dictionary widget is made by Apple and uses the same words that are found in Dictionary.app.

As for getting words added, I have no idea...I didn't even know you could ask to get words added.

...what word(s) do you want added?

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

First thing I'd try is looking in Dictionary.app to see if you can add words there.

4. tkjazzer thread starter macrumors 6502

I email dictionary companies all the time with requests for new words

I email stedmans medical dictionary all the time when I find a medical word that is not in their dictionary.

I'm sure you can do the same with any online dictionary people.

I emailed google to ask them to add a "maps" link to the upper left corner of the screen while logged in to gmail (to go along with the documents, etc). 3 months later, they got to my email and added it.

You just have to know where to send in suggestions.

Just like Citizendium.org is amazing, so can all internet companies. They just need user feedback. Contribute everyone!

note: citizendium is not a company, it's ideology is too pure for that.