The Call of Duty Demo has been released...

Discussion in 'Games' started by invaLPsion, May 28, 2004.

1. macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I intend to dowload it as soon as I get home.

Does anybody know how it has been playing on powerbooks?

2. macrumors 68000

Veldek

For everyone who is interested in the demo, download it here:

http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18195

3. macrumors regular

PowermacG5

FORGET THE DEMO

FORGET THE DEMO WHERE IS MY 1.4 Patch!

4. vsp
    macrumors regular

Just downloaded the demo. When I try and unstuff the sucker it runs all the way through and then Stuffit Expander gives me an error:

An error has occurred while expanding the file "CODDemo.sit" (Format error).
    Error #17540

Is anyone else having this problem? Anyone know what that error is?

Thanks
    Vince

5. macrumors 601

HiRez

At least you got the file! Servers are giving me a 15 hr. time estimate to download that pig! DSL too, yuck.

6. macrumors 65816

Darwin

Same here, it was really annoying though waiting then it doesn't even expand properly :(

It don't know what the problem is but it seems to affect those few since I'm downloading from the same place as everyone else

7. vsp
    macrumors regular

I just downloaded it again and everything expanded fine. Played about 5 minutes of it and found various ways of getting killed quickly (walk into mine field, mortar shell while hiding behind a dead cow, standing up too soon, crouching too long, staying away from the fence, getting too close to the fence).

Sure is chaotic. I suppose I'll take a huge breath if I ever get passed the fence.

Good luck getting a clean copy
    Vince

8. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Well theres only one level in the demo...that sucks..

9. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Patch your sig too, will ya!

Running 10.3.4 I suppose :D

10. macrumors 6502

anyone know if its the same as the windows version demo?

11. vsp
    macrumors regular

By the way, I wasn't stunned by how it ran on my computer (AL 15 PB, 1.25, 512 RAM) but I only played for five minutes and didn't tinker with any of the settings.
    Wasn't stunned but I'm sure with a bit of tinkering it'll play just fine for my tastes.

Vince

12. macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Demo runs like sh$@ on my 1.6 Ghz G5 w/ geforce 5200 Ultra. Whereas it ran beautifully on my Athlon64 w/ regular 5200. As far as I can tell this port, at least this demo is, horribly done.

13. macrumors 6502a

I have to say, after all the people I have heard brag about how smooth the game ran, that I wasn't that impressed with the demo. It ran ok, but not buttery smooth like some people mentioned.

That is on a 1.5 PB with ATI 9700 card

14. thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Same here. Must be a bad demo. THE GAME RECOGNIZED MY CARD AS A 9600!!!????? This demo is messed...

15. macrumors 65816

neonart

I only played for a few minutes and it was very good, even under heavy explosions and firefights.

I'll try it again with more time and we'll see how it does.

Holy cow! Very intense gameplay. I hope it clams down a bit into the level!

16. macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

The demo runs fine on my 1.6 G5 even with 2 monitors connected (ATI 9600) but I can't get the console to appear in the game so I can't adjust the screen resolution for widescreen. Anybody managed this?

17. macrumors 6502a

What would be cool is if someone who already has the full version could install the demo and compare them.

18. macrumors 6502

mowogg

CoD Question

This is a little off the thread, but I have a question about CoD. I have the full version and have been playing both the SP & MP versions. On the score panel (access via the tab key) there are dog tag symbols next to some of the player names. They don't seem to signify anything and the manual doesn't make mention of them.

Does anybody know what the dog tags mean?

Great game BTW. Sorry to hear about the demo speed issues. I'd download it and compare it to the full game as someone suggested, but I don't want to eat up bandwidth for those who don't have the full game yet and are itching to try it out.

19. macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    great demo, but my little 12" just doesn't seem to cut the mustard. although now that i think about it i had apache and mysql running... i'll have to remember to turn those off and try again. but i beat the demo, it was really good except for how slow it ran.

20. macrumors member

there is a very good readme file that comes with the demo, with the most important ways to increase performance listed (either by bringing down console, or opening up the config file). I get 20-25 fps (Update: at places 30-40) on my 867 Mgz G4 PB, which is not great, but good enough for me. I've ordered it, can't wait to play the whole thing. Third great game I buy in under two months (UT2k4, Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield, both ace!). More and more great games are ported to the Mac, it seems. I may never have to go ouside again. :p

I'm suprised no one mentioned the MG's. Man are they cool! You get scared and a boner at the same time. :D

21. macrumors regular

Hydra

Well it's a 9600 in reality...

But sounds like FX5200 won't run it. :(

22. macrumors 6502

Maclarny

I believe the dog tags signify that that charater is currently dead and awaiting respawn.

23. macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

It would apprear the developers disabled the console in the demo version of the game. There is a way to enable it but I can only get it to work on the PC.
    Guess I'll just have to wait for my retail copy to arrive. Amazon.co.uk are stating usually dispatched in 24hrs I've had it ordered since before its launch and still no sign. Patience is needed I feel on my part.

24. macrumors member

Anything you can do in console, you can also do by opening the config file manually, just like you would with the ini in UT2k4.

25. macrumors 65816

neonart

Man, this is a good game!

The demo is short, but heck, it's free. Very intense. It ran surprisingly well @1600x1200 with everything maxed out. I never really noticed any weird lag or anything, but I don't know how to bring up a FPS counter.

Does anyone know how long the whole game is? The demo left me wanting lots more!