The Canadian GP Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Jun 11, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

So then... after a 2 week break, once again we find ourselves spoiled with back to back races, this time across the Atlantic in Montreal and then Indianapolis the following week.

Always abit of a favourite of mine is this race, it's very much a power circuit but there's some good overtaking opportunities so competitive races here are the rule as opposed to the exception like at some of the other circuits. It's not been watered down to any real degree and the close quarters of concrete mean that one slip and you could end up in a very nasty accident as both Panis (broke both legs) and Schu have found out in recent years.

It's also the circuit that 2 years ago we found out who was the faster between an F1 and CART car on the same track in the same year, after having CART bragging to the world about them being the fastest open wheeled race series in the world, people were somewhat surprised to see the F1 cars over 6 seconds a lap quicker than CART, and even the race laps coming in 3 seconds quicker than the CART Pole time. :eek: :D

Schu has an excellent record here, (I can't remember, but I think it's 6 wins) and the circuit should favour the Ferrari with it's emphasis on power, aerodynamics and fast flowing corners that are known to be a favourite of the Schu. :D

The circuit however is also VERY heavy on brakes, and last year we saw Schu having to defend his position for half the race in the lead with serious brake wear issues, and with all the safety issues currently cropping up regarding F1 cars finally become too fast for their braking systems, maybe wear will be a race influencing issue again this year.

BAR should also be very strong here, the Honda has some serious grunt and I'm expecting Sato and Button to go well here. Button really needs to raise his game though, because at the moment I really don't see him outdriving Sato, especially in the last race, and he's certainly lucked into the results in both Monaco and at the Nurburgring. But at the moment, what Montoya is saying about Sato winning before Button could come true if Sato just gets some better reliability from that Honda engine.

I'm also expecting Williams to go well, even though their pace is slighty off the BAR, they should be above Renault because of the thumping BMW engine, both Ralf and Montoya have so, so records here but you can certainly never discount Montoya if there's even the slightest hint of finishing a position higher.

Renault will struggle because of their underpowered engine and it'll be interesting to see if Trulli can continue his dismantling of Alonso which has REALLY been abit of a surprise this season.

As for McLaren, they'll do well to do 15 laps in the race, this is a power circuit (which the Merc engine lacks) and as such is heaver on the engines... ultimately 2 conditions that those Merc engines don't excel at.

Either way... should be a good race, with the potential for an upset. ;)

1st practice is due to start at 4pm GMT+1 (or 5 minutes time) so those that are interested can watch the timing here

http://www.formula1.com/

Thoughts?

2. Interiority macrumors member

Agreed... The Canadian GP is definately one of the better events in the calendar.

As for predictions, I see nothing to indicate anything other than a Schumi walkover. BAR should do well, although they still don't seem to be in a position to knock Ferrari off the top spot.

I really feel for Kimi this year... going from championship contender to nursing a broken Mercedes around track after track, before the inevitable blow-up... Bring on the MP4/19B.

3. takao macrumors 68040

takao

seeing minardi driving faster race laps than CART pole position laps: priceless
    ;)

man this weekend getting exciting...nearly forgot about F1...
    F1,eurpean election,4 european football cup games...looks like a TV weekend

anyway i guess now is the F1 getting exciting...nearly everything can happen sunday.. i expect the BARs being really fast.. mercedes perhaps get their things together and finish the race :rolleyes:

4. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I think there were very slight differences in the layout for the CART race, so the times are exactly comparable, but they were worth nothing like 6 seconds!

Not a circuit I'd expect the Ferrari's to dominate on, though expect Schumi to make the most of it. It's a lucky circuit for the Jordans though, as long as they nab a point or two, I'll be happy! (Any chance of rain?? ;) )

It's one race I have to go to.

5. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

wow, i had no clue our track was appreciated at all. that's pretty cool. did you guys know that the grandprix almost left canada, cause we didn't wanna let them advertise for cigarette companies. The montreal jazz fest used to be a du maurier thing i think, now its all GM. But fortunately, our government caved in or something. This is probably the busiest weeks of the year for a lot of businesses, and they were pretty upset when the gov't was planning to back out of the gp. I landed a sweet job for a year or so at a restaurant that freaked cause of the number of people out and about downtown untill like 4 in the morning; this race really gives a boost to the cities economy.
    unfortunately, i'm working all weekend, so i won't be able to go and check out the sweet cars set up on the closed off streets downtown. Anyone else from montreal and into cars here? I'd love to know if for some reason ford takes this opportunity to show off either a GT or an '05 mustang, cause we got gyped since our auto show overlapped the detroit show. Not that those cars have much to do with F1. But man, i gotta see one some time before they're in dealers!

Edit:
    about that forcast: http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html?yul

6. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

hell yeah.... Canada knows how to throw a GP on a proper circuit (even if it's not a proper circuit, but you get my drift ;) ), it's one of the highlights IMHO of the F1 calender... :)

it's pretty much got it all, a couple of slow tight corners, uber-fast corners with concrete walls, and the absolutely ideal arrangement of having a hairpin before a 200+mph straight, which has a tight chicane at the end of it to aid even more overtaking... :)

luckily the Canadian Government backed down, otherwise we'd have lost a great circuit, it's not quite Spa, but damn its good, and good in the old school sense too. ;)

7. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

they slightly change one of the corners... although the difference isn't supposed to affect the times to any significant degree.

what I'd like to see is for an F1 and CART to do Spa... and see what the difference is there.... I'm thinking it'd be much greater than 6 seconds, especially as this years cars are anything upto to 4 seconds a lap quicker over any given lap. I'm not entirely convinced that a CART could take Eau-Rouge flat... but if they're as mad as JV a couple of years ago in the BAR, I'm sure there's a couple who'd give it a try heheheh

I want to sample some Canadian hospitality as well... :) it's cool that they've put Montreal and Indy back to back, man that'd make a great holiday, fly to Canada, watch the race and then drive down to Indy. ;)

I'd like to see another U.S. GP, I'm not especially familiar with the U.S. circuits, but there's got to be a couple that'd make a good challenge for an F1 car.

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i love the canadian GP!!! i find it much better than the us gp one of the more entertaining races to watch

i expect BAR to do well i hope ferrari can extend on their already large lead

9. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Bloody hell... what a quali session that was... my predictions have been proved totally wrong, not only are Williams and Renault bang up there... the Ferrari's are down in 6th and 7th. :eek:

Grid.

1. R Schumacher
    2. Button
    3. Trulli
    4. Montoya
    5. Alonso
    6. Schumacher
    7. Barrichello
    8. Raikkonen
    9. Coulthard
    10. Klien

So both Ferrari's have alot to do tomorrow. I'd normally guess that Button and the 2 Williams are running a couple of laps lighter as has been the norm this year to guarantee track position, but the 2 Renaults have gone amazingly well, so to be honest I haven't got a clue as to what strategies those teams are doing. It could be down to those Michelin tyres or it could be fuel loads or just a combo of both. :eek:

I'm surprised both Ferrari's are a second off the pace, it's acknowledged that Michelin have a serious one lap advantage over the Bridgestones but in practice runs the Bridgestones are way more consistant to the tune of 2-3 seconds alap.

Either way, tomorrow looks like it's going to be a corker of a race... and we're on a track with several overtaking opportunities. :D

Thoughts??

10. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Flat? Yes. Upside down? Also yes. ;)

Yup, I'd love to see CART or IRL cars go around Spa or Suzuka. Or even Barcelona - even though the circuit does produce the most exciting races, it's a combination of a very long, fast straight and lots of long fast corners. It really separates the good cars from the bad, which is why so much testing is done there. I'd be interesting to see F1 vs CART there.

The GP in Melbourne is probably the best I've been to, but I'd bet Montreal could give it a run for it's money.

Certainly some good circuits in the US - Road America, Sebring, Mid-Ohio, Laguna Seca. Knowing Formula 1 though, several corners would probably need to be made kiddy-safe before they'd race there :eek:

11. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

man, that quali session sure did a good job of waking me up this morning. That track is all the way across downtown and on an island, gotta be a good 6 miles away. I can't imagine what it must be like in the stands.

12. craigdawg macrumors 6502

Hold on iGAV give yourself some credit! You were spot on with these two predictions. I'm sure JB thought he had the pole all wrapped up. Again Sato suffers some bad luck that may or may not be his own doing. They went to commercial when he was out on track (bastards); that 360 was fun to watch on replay though. :)

Interesting mix among the front three rows. Can't wait for the first turn the way those Renauts start.

I'm just happy to be able to watch the race LIVE at a reasonable hour (0900 PDT GMT-7)!

Not to get off topic, but I heard the tail end of a report from Le Mans that someone will be fielding a Lambo team at the next ALMS race (Mid Ohio 6/27). I'm guessing Gallardos (GT class)? And they said something about a possible Aston-Martin team! :)

13. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

BAR were always going to be strong here... I expected Williams to go well... although not pole pace! :eek:

But Renault... where'd they come from?? haha, they must be lacking a good 50hp to the likes of the Ferrari, Honda and BMW so they've done amazingly well to get where they are on a pure power circuit. :) Yet again we see Trulli whooping Alonso though, he's really raised his game this season, and is almost making Alonso look ordinary!

Sato was unlucky as, he was giving his all, and was up on Button in the first sector, I like what I see with him, he's got that crazy streak in him which is hugely reminiscent of Senna and Schu in their early days. If he can begin to harness his undoubted speed, he'll be bang up there! ;)

It's rumoured that Ferrari may be 2 stopping once they realised they didn't have the one lap pace of the Michelins, but Bridgestones do seem to have the better race tyre though, I guess if that's the case it all depends on if the 2 Ferraris can stay in touch over the first stint to make their strategies work, but if they are on a 3 stopper, they're in trouble.

Either way, it's going to be a proper race today... on a f'in daddy of a circuit where there's some good overtaking opportunities... I just hope that Schu drives for the win, and doesn't think safety and go for the points, it's about time he'd showed the metal of the F2004 and reminded everyone exactly what a hardcore racer he is. ;)

Can't wait... roll on the start! heehee!

14. craigdawg macrumors 6502

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

he is going for the record "most blown engines in a row" ;)

16. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Schumi again... ahhh, I can't wait till Tuesday for European iTMS, something interesting this week ... :rolleyes:

Good for him & ferrari, good for Ralf ... Sam Michael has been working fine with him...

17. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I know... it's like the angels flying down and playing their most angelic harps isn't it... ;) heheheh

I'm off to the pub to watch England Vs. France now... ;)

18. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

seven

7th win in canada and 7th win this year for a total of 77 career wins, en route for his 7th title.

19. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    SCHUMI and FERRARI are unstopable, now rubens gets 2nd thanks to illegal brake ducts DAMN they are a good and a fine package

20. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

"Both Williams and Toyota failed a post race technical inspection for using oversized brake ducts on their cars.

"The front brake ducts of Ralf and Juan Pablo's cars are not in accordance with the regulations," said Williams technical director Sam Michael. "It was a mistake and it was unintentional."

"There was no performance gain," he added. "However the ducts are not in compliance with the technical regulations. Therefore we accept the FIA's decision."

how can they (williams and toyota) use oversized brake ducts by mistake?

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Wow, I think I should go watch the replay.

Which is on.. RIGHT NOW :eek: *runs off*

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Man, that sucks for Trulli, can't even get to the first corner...

But, thanks to the DQ's, I managed to get two drivers (Rubens and Button) from my fantasy team on the podium, even though I got 0 engine points and -10 chassis points (both Toyota). I still ended up tied for 12th (out of 100-something teams) with 79 points. I even beat the current top 5 teams this race! :eek:

23. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

After the "Spa Challenge" fly everyone over to Fontana and see what happens at California's Super Speedway. ;)

Considering the mammoth cost difference between CART (or whatever it's called now) and F1 I should hope that even the crappiest F1 car should out perform a Camp Car on a road course.

Lethal