Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Slower. But manageable (typically 3-4 Mbps) -- just don't go to Bell.

not so good. Unless they updated their network in last 6 months or so. I used to get like ~600 kbps in my house, and maybe like 1.5 mbps in downtown area. When i went to toronto, i was getting close to 3 Mbps. However, Telus network is AWESOME here, i get like 5 Mbps here at my house, and at most places its between 2.5 - 5 Mbps. And their upload speeds are quite good as well.

But how would that work, if rogers, fido use a sim and bell and telus don't?

oh geez.. James, where have you been, Bell and Telus built a 3G HSPA network, how do you think they've been carrying/selling the iPhone 3G/3GS since November? :)

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
From Fido live chat:

Possibly 1st week of July. (But don't quote them on that. ;) )

Who said that...was it just a customer or was it someone that works there who would possibly know this type of info??

Whatever the case may be, from what I have been reading AT&T is totally out of the white model and don't know if the following is true or not, but I keep reading that the black model is on back order now.

Autopilot638

macrumors 6502
Who said that...was it just a customer or was it someone that works there who would possibly know this type of info??

Whatever the case may be, from what I have been reading AT&T is totally out of the white model and don't know if the following is true or not, but I keep reading that the black model is on back order now.

I contacted customer service via their live chat regarding my upgrade eligibility and a rep told me this regarding the iPhone 4 launch in Canada. The verbatim response was: "...very likely 1st week of July. But don't quote me on that."

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Opps, no worries, I just smacked myself upside the head for you! lol

haha, its all good!

I contacted customer service via their live chat regarding my upgrade eligibility and a rep told me this regarding the iPhone 4 launch in Canada. The verbatim response was: "...very likely 1st week of July. But don't quote me on that."

the first week of july sounds a little early (though i'd love it), but i'm sure as we get closer we'll get more clues from the carriers.

Macnator

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
Canada
Yo man. are you serious?? 2-4 mbps?? Which area do you live? I'm from Alberta, speed here sucks...normally I get between 450 -800 kbps...

Yes I'm serious. I just did a speed test sitting at my desk right now and got 4233kbps down = 4.12Mbps. Earlier while I was at my school waiting for a ride, I did a speed test and got 4829kbps = 4.83Mbps.

I live about 40-45 minutes outside Toronto. Everywhere I go I get blazing speeds.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario

That sounds GREAT...with any luck it will be true!

Now who here is going to buy the fully unlocked iPhone 4 from Apple on launch day?? I think it will cost $749.00

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
That sounds GREAT...with any luck it will be true!

Now who here is going to buy the fully unlocked iPhone 4 from Apple on launch day?? I think it will cost $749.00

If you lead us we'll buy one. But seriously, we need an Apple store somewhere in Hamilton or at least Burlington.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
If you lead us we'll buy one. But seriously, we need an Apple store somewhere in Hamilton or at least Burlington.

Ya I'm in Hamilton too....We'll never see another store in Hamilton! Although, it would be nice.

The closest for us would be like less than an hour drive, in Toronto. But you could also place your order with a credit card and have it delivered to your house.

achtungbaby

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2003
Canada
Am I going to be the only one stuck buying my new iphone at Future Shop? Not looking forward to that :(

FYI: if anyone else bought a 3G or 3GS at Future Shop and got the protection plan you can carry it over onto your new device as long as you buy the new phone at FS too.

SkottDMD

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
Canada
Am I going to be the only one stuck buying my new iphone at Future Shop? Not looking forward to that :(

FYI: if anyone else bought a 3G or 3GS at Future Shop and got the protection plan you can carry it over onto your new device as long as you buy the new phone at FS too.

Depends if Future Shop will be carrying it at launch though, I sincerely hope they do as the Rogers store by me is not a place I want to visit on launch day ever again (3G launch was horribly and unfairly managed by the staff, I lucked out but others that were there hours before me ended up being last in line due to their 'lottery' system). Although, I'm trying not to even think about the launch date, if there's no white available at our launch I won't be upgrading.

maus

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
Since the phones have to be activated through iTunes, does Rogers waive their activation fee?

SkottDMD

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
Canada
Since the phones have to be activated through iTunes, does Rogers waive their activation fee?

Doubt it and I'm sure they will throw out a million made up and ridiculous reasons as to why they HAVE to activate it in store. On the 3G launch the only reason they even allowed our group of people to leave without being activated was because they couldn't activate them on their end. I'm starting to think we won't be seeing the iPhone 4 in July, I wouldn't be surprised if countries start to drop like flies off the list of 18 getting them in July. While the pre-order mess in the U.S seems to be due to AT&T and not Apple, considering Apple didn't even mention the white iPhone not being available, it looks like things are not going as planned. I can't image how Rogers would even begin to hold up on a full scale launch (since we most likely won't get to pre-order) when AT&T can't even handle pre-orders. The 3G and 3GS crashed Rogers systems for hours, this is just going to be an epic mess. All this with the fact the white iPhone 4 will most likely not be available in the U.S until later this summer, I'm no longer even looking forward to the iPhone 4. Not complaining but it's a phone I'll be spending a lot of money on and I'm not going with a color I don't want just to get the phone. If the white iPhone 4 is delayed already worldwide, I don't imagine it will even be available in Canada at launch or anytime during the summer.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Doubt it and I'm sure they will throw out a million made up and ridiculous reasons as to why they HAVE to activate it in store. On the 3G launch the only reason they even allowed our group of people to leave without being activated was because they couldn't activate them on their end. I'm starting to think we won't be seeing the iPhone 4 in July, I wouldn't be surprised if countries start to drop like flies off the list of 18 getting them in July. While the pre-order mess in the U.S seems to be due to AT&T and not Apple, considering Apple didn't even mention the white iPhone not being available, it looks like things are not going as planned. I can't image how Rogers would even begin to hold up on a full scale launch (since we most likely won't get to pre-order) when AT&T can't even handle pre-orders. The 3G and 3GS crashed Rogers systems for hours, this is just going to be an epic mess. All this with the fact the white iPhone 4 will most likely not be available in the U.S until later this summer, I'm no longer even looking forward to the iPhone 4. Not complaining but it's a phone I'll be spending a lot of money on and I'm not going with a color I don't want just to get the phone. If the white iPhone 4 is delayed already worldwide, I don't imagine it will even be available in Canada at launch or anytime during the summer.

OUCHY!! lol now that was one hard ass rant! I think you pretty much said everything that I was fearing the most of! I so hope we're wrong!

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
With all the news of the iPhone 4 being sold out and the white model not even being available, do you all think this will spell disaster for us Canadians on our launch date? Or even push our launch date back to very late July or mid August?

It's not looking too good for us imho.

What's your take on the matter??

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
With all the news of the iPhone 4 being sold out and the white model not even being available, do you all think this will spell disaster for us Canadians on our launch date? Or even push our launch date back to very late July or mid August?

It's not looking too good for us imho.

What's your take on the matter??

I've been thinking the same thing. I saw one rumor of July 8 launch, but I really don't expect that. I even remember 3GS launch last summer getting a lot of delays for people after stock kept depleting for Rogers/Fido for a few months.. I hope it doesnt take all summer to get an iPhone 4.

vinzer

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
Hello all Canadians,

I am from Montreal (Chateauguay), Quebec area.
I want to get iPhone4 on US launch date. I wrote a thread here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/939102/
If anyone may help I would apreciate that.

Thank you in advance for any info or help.
PM me if you may help please.

Thank you

macdim

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2007
Canada
Is anyone else here not sure whether or not they will be getting the unlocked version straight from apple or the subsidized version?

I bought a 3G 2 years ago from rogers and am 2/3 through my voice contract and 1/3 through my data contract. I get $15 worth of credits every month that are set to expire when my contract ends. If I don't sign up for a new contract, I will lose those credits when my contract expires and will pay more for the phone. If I sign a new contract, I will most likely be able to extend those credits and get a cheaper phone.

The only thing I'm torn about is whether I want to be locked in for another 3 years and want a locked phone. If rogers gave me a discount on monthly service because I don't buy phones from them, it wouldn't be a tough decision, but I guess that is the way they get us to sign contracts. If only there was competition across our iPhone carriers in Canada...

grover432

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2009
My fellow Canadians...
the iPhone will now be sold unlocked!!!! According to Apple's website it says

When you purchase your iPhone from the Apple Online Store, you’ll get it commitment-free. So you can sign up for service with the carrier of your choice and change your carrier at any time. Questions? Call our iPhone experts at 1-800-MY-APPLE.

This rocks! I'm still going to buy through a carrier either rogers or fido so I can get the subsidized prices. I can't wait to get my hands on one, only one month to go.

That is for the 3GS not the iPhone 4

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Is anyone else here not sure whether or not they will be getting the unlocked version straight from apple or the subsidized version?

I bought a 3G 2 years ago from rogers and am 2/3 through my voice contract and 1/3 through my data contract. I get $15 worth of credits every month that are set to expire when my contract ends. If I don't sign up for a new contract, I will lose those credits when my contract expires and will pay more for the phone. If I sign a new contract, I will most likely be able to extend those credits and get a cheaper phone.

The only thing I'm torn about is whether I want to be locked in for another 3 years and want a locked phone. If rogers gave me a discount on monthly service because I don't buy phones from them, it wouldn't be a tough decision, but I guess that is the way they get us to sign contracts. If only there was competition across our iPhone carriers in Canada...

I'm going to wait until Rogers announces their prices and upgrade details. I upgraded to the 3GS last year. If they don't give much of a deal for me I'll likely buy it straight from Apple and save myself from having to sign another 3 year contract.

One thing for sure though, now that Apple is offering us the unlocked iPhone I think it will force the companies to offer amazing deals to keep us locked in....if they do, I'll definitely be happy to save the money and sign again...I figure I'm going to need a phone for another 3 year anyhow, so if the price is right, I will.

What are the rest of you people thinking?

And what company are you all with? Rogers, Bell, Fido or Telus??

I actually heard the Virgin is now carrying it also on launch day!

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I wonder if the Unlocked phone sold by Apple will work on Wind and Mobilicity's networks....

If yes, they are going to see increased subscribers for sure!! Especially since they are still offering unlimited Data plans for a fair price.

Kevlar

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2004
Great White North
I wonder if the Unlocked phone sold by Apple will work on Wind and Mobilicity's networks....

If yes, they are going to see increased subscribers for sure!! Especially since they are still offering unlimited Data plans for a fair price.

Wind would be a no because they use a different frequency (AWS/1700 Mhz/BandIV network) then the iPhone supports. Mobilicity, no idea cause I don't know who they are. Ha!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.