Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
vw will pay fines, settle a class action, and life will go on. they are still the best for diesels amd will continue to be.

they aint goin anywhere.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I'm happy to report that this vehicle will soon be mine. It's already on my insurance and I've made a deposit on it-I just need to get someone to take me up(~40 miles) so that I can drive it home.

I can't wait!

IMG_1917.jpg

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I'm happy to report that this vehicle will soon be mine. It's already on my insurance and I've made a deposit on it-I just need to get someone to take me up(~40 miles) so that I can drive it home.

I can't wait!

View attachment 587497

Congrats man!

I'll pick you up tomorrow afternoon and give you a ride over. I'm getting in my car right now. See you in 16 or so hours.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/vw-scandal-development-heads-suspended-085444795--finance.html

2.1 Million Audi Cars hav VW cheat device

They're going to have to test gasoline vehicles next. There's no reason to trust VW at this point.
Wow!

The German government will be forced to bail them out.
Yeah, I imagine this is a big setback for VW, particularly in regards to trust with the public. I can't imagine they will be going anywhere though. The German government will most definitely protect them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bunnspecial

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
If some sucker wants to sell me their loaded Golf TDI in manual, they can PM me. I wouldn't mind a "cheap" TDI now. :)

Yeah, I imagine this is a big setback for VW, particularly in regards to trust with the public. I can't imagine they will be going anywhere though. The German government will most definitely protect them.
VW's perception with the US market is already shaky at best. VW has never understood what this market wants and has always been two steps behind Toyota and Honda.

The more important thing for them to worry about is Audi and Porsche's reputation in the US. People line up to buy them around here. They need to do some serious damage control to prevent their luxury brands from being tarnished.

I'm sure the German government will protect them. They're the largest (or second) auto OEM in the world. They won't just close up shop like some VAG haters think they will. Not happening.

Reactions: AustinIllini

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
If some sucker wants to sell me their loaded Golf TDI in manual, they can PM me. I wouldn't mind a "cheap" TDI now. :)

VW's perception with the US market is already shaky at best. VW has never understood what this market wants and has always been two steps behind Toyota and Honda.

what this market wants is the biggest, cheapest, bloatedest, decontentedest piece of **** they can fit their wide ass in (see passatt, jetta)

so on one hand VW wins for finally recognizing that the average american is a cheap fatty who just wants something big + cheap

but on the other hand they also seem to be missing the boat that other manufacturers are adding content, not taking away like VW. theyve rectified that a bit with the jetta the last year or two.

what this guy wants (as a potential 5.0 replacement) is a return of the tiguan R-line to the top of the line (and add parking sensors FFS, not because i need them but because it's 2015/2016 and a $40k vehicle that competes against a class of $25k-$30k vehicles - i realize they've just been stalling with the tiguan awaiting its replacement but still) OR this guy wants a CC r-line that actually has the proper r-line bits - the black headliner, the aluminum pedals, and a proper r-line steering wheel instead of that abortion they currently use. even better, make the r-line a damn trim package that can be added to any CC (do the same with the tiguan) so people dont have to choose between looks or features.

id kill for a silver CC r-line in 4MO/VR6 guise with all the bells and whistles. Or at the very least, give the R-line the fender/dynaudio stereo since you're marketing that model to the younger crowd.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
id kill for a silver CC r-line in 4MO/VR6 guise with all the bells and whistles. Or at the very least, give the R-line the fender/dynaudio stereo since you're marketing that model to the younger crowd.

I wish they'd bring back the 4Motion to their sedans, the luxury features of the the Touareg, and while they're at it, the Phaeton... why not? I love that car.

Theadamh123

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2011
UK
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/vw-scandal-development-heads-suspended-085444795--finance.html

2.1 Million Audi Cars hav VW cheat device

They're going to have to test gasoline vehicles next. There's no reason to trust VW at this point.

There is an underlying problem with all diesels (VW or not), the NOX emissions are terrible. A typical Diesel hatchback produces about the same amount of NOX as 2 Ferrari California Ts.

Everyone has been concentrating so much on Co2 that it has allowed NOX to slip under the radar, yet NOX is the chemical that is actually harmful towards humans!

Yes, Co2 is a greenhouse gas, but transport produces an insignificant amount when compared to industries like meat production.

Last edited:

ZivaD

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
This might lead to the break up of the VW group, stop the bland design from slowly pouring over anything they touch.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Everyone has been concentrating so much on Co2 that has allowed NOX to slip under the radar, yet NOX is the chemical that is actually harmful towards humans!

Cats have basically brought NOX emissions from modern gasoline engines down to a negligible level-and the lack of yellow skies in major US cities are living proof of that.

I agree that this is something we should be concerned with from diesels.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Cats have basically brought NOX emissions from modern gasoline engines down to a negligible level-and the lack of yellow skies in major US cities are living proof of that.

I agree that this is something we should be concerned with from diesels.
Right. SOx and NOx are a central concern in American refining and have been for a number of years.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
So Lexus cars can only be remote start via the Enform app or can you remotely start a Lexus from the keyfob? Ford's has remote start from the keyfob. I just found out.

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Looks like there's plenty of gear heads in the thread, I'm having what I believe is a tranny problem (maybe the input shaft or throwout bearing). Anybody want to help with a diagnosis?

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
So my girl just traded in her Turdyota Corolla LE for a 2013 RAV4 XLE AWD CPO with 20,xxx on the dash... Bumper to bumper/Powertrain for 7yrs/100,000. As much as I hate Toyotas. Very good deal for $25K out the door

I would like to buy American. But as it stands... I'm still in the market for a 2015/16 Mazda 6 or a 2015 CPO Camry SE/XSE

2015 Malibu is at the bottom of the list honestly. I hate Toyotas but I really dig the looks of the 2015 Camry so.. Leaning towards that... It's not like it's not a bad card.. It's just a little vanilla and can I live with it

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
So my girl just traded in her Turdyota Corolla LE for a 2013 RAV4 XLE AWD CPO with 20,xxx on the dash... Bumper to bumper/Powertrain for 7yrs/100,000. As much as I hate Toyotas. Very good deal for $25K out the door

I would like to buy American. But as it stands... I'm still in the market for a 2015/16 Mazda 6 or a 2015 CPO Camry SE/XSE

2015 Malibu is at the bottom of the list honestly. I hate Toyotas but I really dig the looks of the 2015 Camry so.. Leaning towards that... It's not like it's not a bad card.. It's just a little vanilla and can I live with it
Turdyota? How old are you?

I vote for the 6.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Turdyota? How old are you?

I vote for the 6.
I'm 24... Why?

And I'm in love with 6... But the interior is kinda bland

The Camry XSE interior is honestly a tad little nicer and it's way easier to put an aftermarket head unit and stereo upgrade... And that Toyotas platinum warranty man.... I can honestly see why there are so many on the road

I'm weighing pros and cons

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I'm 24... Why?

Calling Toyota "Turdyota" really speaks volumes about your maturity, but I digress... No need to get into that.

And I'm in love with 6... But the interior is kinda bland

The Camry XSE interior is honestly a tad little nicer and it's way easier to put an aftermarket head unit and stereo upgrade... And that Toyotas platinum warranty man.... I can honestly see why there are so many on the road

I'm weighing pros and cons
Aftermarket headunit? The Toyota Entune system is one of the best systems in the business. Stupid easy to use and never has any problems.

An extended warranty on a Camry seems like a colossal waste of money IMO.

The 6 is the better driving car with the higher quality interior, but the Camry will be more reliable and have significantly superior resale value down the road.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

Well you're in luck. The Camrys are built in the US. And the RAV4 is built in Canada, which last time I checked, is also part of the American continent.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Well you're in luck. The Camrys are built in the US. And the RAV4 is built in Canada, which last time I checked, is also part of the American continent.
I remember reading something recently about how US made Toyotas actually have a higher US part content than tons of "American" cars.

Huge portion of MOPAR products are made in Mexico and Canada. Same with Ford and Mexico.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Aftermarket headunit? The Toyota Entune system is one of the best systems in the business. Stupid easy to use and never has any problems.
I have to disagree... That title goes to FCA's UConnect infotainment... Best in the industry... Entune is average at best.. Go over to the Toyota forums and you can see why people either love or hate it

An extended warranty on a Camry seems like a colossal waste of money IMO.

Well let's be real.. Toyotas reliability is not what it used to be.. can't beat a 7yr/100,000 mile bumper2bumper for $800 bucks

The 6 is the better driving car with the higher quality interior, but the Camry will be more reliable and have significantly superior resale value down the road.

Agreed... Like I said, pros and cons

I remember reading something recently about how US made Toyotas actually have a higher US part content than tons of "American" cars.

Huge portion of MOPAR products are made in Mexico and Canada. Same with Ford and Mexico.
But the profits goes over see instead of supporting the American economy... But it's not like there's a lot of that going on anyway

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Well let's be real.. Toyotas reliability is not what it used to be.. can't beat a 7yr/100,000 mile bumper2bumper
You're right, but Lexus and Toyota are still the best in the business when it comes to long term reliability.

And I'm fairly certain that Toyota's Extended Warranty doesn't extend B2B coverage. The ExtraCare warranty comes with a specific list of things they cover in the brochure. It's not everything.

I have to disagree... That title goes to FCA's UConnect infotainment... Best in the industry... Entune is average at best.. Go over to the Toyota forums and you can see why people either love or hate it

Which is why I said one of the best...

UConnect is the best, but let's not pretend that UConnect is trouble free.

Chevy MyLink, Honda's new Android based touchscreen system, CUE, etc are all train wrecks compared to Entune or UConnect.

But the profits goes over see instead of supporting the American economy... But it's not like there's a lot of that going on anyway
Yeah no. This viewpoint is very short sighted and demonstrates a glaring lack of knowledge on this subject.

They support local economies in a number of ways. Jobs would the first way. Long term sustainability is another obvious answer.

I drive a US-made BMW right now. Spartanburg, South Carolina would be nothing if BMW didn't come invest billions into the local economy. Same with Mercedes in Alabama.

This logic can be applied to any of the various foreign branded factories all over North America.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.