Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Our NM QP is still doing fine, thankfully. I've gotten to drive it some more since posting, and it's simply heavenly. However, it's such a big, heavy car (albeit very nimble), that one may find it somewhat sluggish in certain ways. By no means, though, is it a slow car - it's a speed demon of a sedan. I was just surprised at the delay you get when you floor it. However, once the delay is out of the way, it rockets off. We don't always drive it, unfortunately, but at least it has been out of the garage and taken out more than it used to be.

Currently have our eyes on an "oceano blue" QP with 'ash' interior and blue tubing. *Drools* Gotta love the contrast tubing in these! Probably my favorite little frill in a QP.

BTW, I've talked about the QP's interior still looking very modern, but after seeing how dashboards have evolved within the last five years or so, I can see how it's starting to (sadly) look dated inside. Sure, a lower-end car's dash still might not even compare, but I've been impressed at how different dashboards have been in the most recent cars, stemming from Mercedes to Porsche - even Honda and Toyota. There's this new trend of styling going around, and the basic theme is the absence of symmetrical lines and curves. I've noticed that dashboards are becoming a bit more experimental in design, more sculpted and edgy, and more centered towards the driver. After going to a Mercedes dealership today and seeing some beefy new models, I was blown away at how different dashes have become in the past few years. It's cool, but it's also sad to realize the dated feel of a once seemingly-modern dash on an old car. The overall styling in dashboards has just changed greatly in very recent years. Seeing these new cars has really changed my perception. I mean, not too long ago, I wouldn't have even been talking about this. This new dashboard styling is, like, VERY new. Even a cheap dashboard in a cheap car (Toyota Corolla) looks more modern than a 2005 QP's dash, simply because of the styling - not because it's nicer or anything. The more obvious thing, though, is the use of aluminum paneling and bamboo/matte wood finishes.

(Excuse my late-night typing sprees. My word-choice is clearly lacking.)
[doublepost=1469096564][/doublepost]These older dashboards are simply more uniform and large/showy, rather than sleek and sometimes minimalistic like these recent dashes I'm seeing. The QP's dash is clean, clear, and looks more plushy and grand - that of a more mature, heavier vehicle; it's a less sporty interior and more luxurious-looking. Today, things really have changed.

Suddenly, it looks more dated than before; however, in person, it looks so much nicer. This picture doesn't do 100% justice.

https://i.wheelsage.org/pictures/m/maserati/quattroporte/maserati_quattroporte_executive_gt_6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: A.Goldberg

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
BTW, Maserati is trying to become more mainstream; and, in the process, their cars have become less serious in nature. Seems like they are now being designed for young people.

Today's Maseratis seem uninspired and too mainstream to be as good as they once were. They even - IMO - ruined the QP design. I hate seeing Maserati turn into Porsche. That being said, at least more and more people are appreciating Maserati. Heck, there are now about two new QP's and a new Ghibli - just on my street. No way that would have been the case in 2005, or even some years later.

Somehow, though, appreciation has been lost for our model. Never turns heads anymore, which is odd... it looks nicer than today's QP. Back when it was new, we walked back to our car to see two people peering inside in the windows and checking out the interior. I suppose there were too many of the boring automatic ones that followed, so they seem less and less impressive in the grand scheme of things.
[doublepost=1469214046][/doublepost]Now to post the little Landcruiser collection we've got going ;). Not really a collection, but we happen to have two that are nearly 10 years apart from each other (1987 on right and 1996 on left). I really like how the 1987 looks, but we bought it only about four years ago, and I'm not too attached to it in the first place.

However, the 1996 LC we purchased brand-new - now 20 years ago. We got it back from my grandma recently, as it actually lived with her for years - about only a few years after we bought it. (Needed an even larger, safer car... the Excursion story to come later.) Got it back, though, and now it's used for random stuff. If there's a car that I personally drive, it's this one. It has about 160k miles, but it runs fine. However, there were odds and ends that needed fixing. Basically, my grandma left things how they were because she didn't want to bother my uncle when problems arose.

The car has underdesigned breaks (good breaks, but the car is too heavy for them) and has a V6, so it cannot stop quickly and cannot accelerate quickly. That being said, the handling is surprisingly good, even though the steering has become loose. It corners very nicely, esp. considering that it's using larger off-road tires instead of the smaller stock ones. Something about steering the car is very satisfying, save for the fact that it takes some elbow grease to take it around sharp corners.

Back in the day, we got the best package, excluding the tow accessories. So, we added aftermarket running boards, roof rack, and tow hitch. Now that we have the car back, we've fixed things and have even purchased a new tow hitch that doesn't look so ugly; however, I like that the current one annihilated that Prius that rear-ended us some months ago. Corner piece of the bumper is slightly screwed up - that's all. The tow hitch helped the Prius show its styrofoam underneath its bumper!

Anyway, I appreciate many things about the vehicle. Definitely an extremely desirable car at the time, and still an impressive vehicle today. Toyota really made a great vehicle. Love this 1990s leather. (Long story short, though, the 1987 one doesn't handle worth crap. They really stepped their game up with the 1993 body style.)
[doublepost=1469214606][/doublepost]Okay.... it won't let me upload the picture of them. I'll get back to you all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0388631

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
The Land Cruiser's used by foreign governments a lot, I believe. It's a solid car with fab pedigree. You get a lot for its price, and while it may be a tough pill to swallow, you're getting a work horse designed to last. The J200, if I'm not mistaken, if fully loaded off the lot. But I don't see them often. Like with the LX570, they exist but they're not very common. Maybe in middle America or the East Coast, or maybe the PNW.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
The Land Cruiser's used by foreign governments a lot, I believe. It's a solid car with fab pedigree. You get a lot for its price, and while it may be a tough pill to swallow, you're getting a work horse designed to last. The J200, if I'm not mistaken, if fully loaded off the lot. But I don't see them often. Like with the LX570, they exist but they're not very common. Maybe in middle America or the East Coast, or maybe the PNW.

I think my barber is getting ready to buy a Land Cruiser...he's pretty well sold on them and has permission from his wife.

The good news for me about that is that he might finally part with his '85 Dodge Ram that I've been bugging him about for a couple of years. I just want a cheap, non-descript half ton(preferably with a carburetor and as little other electronic stuff as possible) to bang around town in and haul the occasional engine, transmission or axle for an MG(or heck a whole car if I have to) and that fits the bill perfectly :)

Reactions: PowerMac G4 MDD

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014

Depends on the Landcruiser. Our 1996 Landcruiser was basically a luxury 4x4 and fairly advanced and nice for a Toyota. It even has the leather interior + gold emblems package. And, boy, did this thing have a Lexus price tag. (Sadly, I am STILL getting this "security error" when I try upload a picture of it.)
[doublepost=1469258696][/doublepost]

I don't see them all the time, but there are a surprising amount of them here in L.A. A good handful of people have 1980s ones (mostly enthusiasts, since the cars seem to always be in nice shape), and a good handful have beaten-up 1990s ones. What was amusing was that I was driving ours and happened to drive past another white one of an earlier year (same decade); and then, seconds later, yet another white one was being driven on the other side of the road, coming towards my direction. Coincidentally, it was ALSO a teenager with his parents' old Landcruiser; although, he had no bumper, so maybe it was a beater he had found(?) We both gave each other a nod of approval. I don't know any other people my age who drive around a 90's LC. xD
[doublepost=1469259107][/doublepost]Tomorrow, we're going to go check out the blue Quattroporte that I mentioned! I hope this car is a keeper; it looks fantastic. While it doesn't have manual F1, it's much safer to get because it should be more reliable than an '05/'06 would be.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0388631

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I was and still am not a fan of gold emblems package. So tacky! And when you say LA, do you mean Louisiana?

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
I was and still am not a fan of gold emblems package. So tacky! And when you say LA, do you mean Louisiana?

Really? I mean, it looks kinda odd, but I started liking it because it goes well with those 1990s Lexus's and such. It's silly that it does have this effect on me (since it's clearly just a gold-dipped piece of plastic), but it speaks 'premium' to me simply because it makes me think of cushy 90s leather and champagne exteriors, with charcoal bumpers. For myself, there's something behind it that would only work on a Toyota. I've seen them on Hondas before and it looks OKAY, but I couldn't imagine it on other cars.

As for your question, I was talking about Los Angeles.
[doublepost=1469299437][/doublepost]

My uncle's a mechanic, and he would joke with his friends by calling it the 'Mr. T starter package.'

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Well, the county is quite large so I suppose some areas would benefit from a 4x4 with such a pedigree.

@bunnspecial I've yet to see a Bel Air myself.

But yes, I never found gold tinting of emblems to be remotely tasteful. They look somewhat alright on a dark green car, which Toyota and Lexus have done. I believe Acura did so with their Legend eons ago too.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Well, the county is quite large so I suppose some areas would benefit from a 4x4 with such a pedigree.

@bunnspecial I've yet to see a Bel Air myself.

But yes, I never found gold tinting of emblems to be remotely tasteful. They look somewhat alright on a dark green car, which Toyota and Lexus have done. I believe Acura did so with their Legend eons ago too.

I live in the city, so there's absolutely no use for one. I guess the 1980s LC's (especially) are west-coast, CA cars.

Really like those dark green 1990s LCs with gold emblems - those do look pretty nice. Ours is white, though, but I still like the look.
[doublepost=1469311910][/doublepost]*Drools* WOW - found a picture of this 1976 Lancia concept car. I love this look. TBH, this is how most sedans should have looked in the 1980s, in America. Cars were made way too boxy in the 1980s and had great potential to smoothen out by the late 1970s/early 1980s; but, instead, we didn't see 'aero' design until Ford started pushing out rounded Taurus' in the late 1980s (1986 or so), and that was considered revolutionary.

IMO, most 1980s American cars (while there are plenty that look really nice) are a bit antiquated in some ways. 1980s American cars had the potential to look like how they ended up being in the 1990s, had American automakers chosen to adopt the 'aero' look earlier (like Europe did). Take this 1983 Ford that was made in Europe. Seems like people didn't take it seriously because of how cutsie it appeared; but, save for the 1980s headlights, this is pretty much what lots of 1990s American cars ended up looking like. You've got the classic 1990s bumpers, hub caps, and general form.

I can understand what people must have thought when Ford pushed 'aero' cars in America; I mean, our own cars today are getting more edgy and sculpted, and 1990s cars look way too rounded for our tastes today... so maybe that's one way I can put myself in the shoes of someone viewing a rounded car in the 1980s... but it still doesn't make too much sense that they stuck with boxy cars for so long. And, to add to the paradox, cars in prior decades were rounded to begin with - especially 1940s cars. So, while I can look at a super-rounded 1990s car and think it looks too bulgy, and then maybe relate to a person who would have thought the same thing when first seeing an 'aero-design' car in the 1980s, I still think that 1980s American cars were generally antiquated in look. They could have looked more like that Lancia, in the first image. Such a gorgeous car, BTW. I wish it had been produced.

Attachments

• 1263947638183801639.jpg
    1263947638183801639.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 1280px-Sierra_3_door_-_an_early_one.jpg
    1280px-Sierra_3_door_-_an_early_one.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Jaguar Land Rover to drop supercharged V8 for turbocharged BMW power

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/07/27/jaguar-land-rover-to-use-bmw-v8/

There are few things that sound as good as Jaguar's 5.0 liter supercharged V8. As great as it is when the supercharger whines or the exhaust cracks and pops on throttle lift-off as the air pressure equalizes, the basic design dates back to the '90s. Plainly, the engine isn't as efficient as it needs to be, but designing a new V8 from the ground up is an expensive proposition. Instead, Automobile reports that Jaguar Land Rover is set to use a twin-turbocharged V8s supplied by BMW.

Scalable architecture is all the rage as automakers streamline designs in order to save costs. For example, Jaguar's current supercharged V6 is quite literally a V8 with two holes missing. They didn't even change the length of the block. It seems both of those designs are on their way out, with the V6 being replaced by a inline-six closely related to the company's inline four. It seems that rather than designing an new and expensive V8 for their top of the line models JLR, is sourcing from BMW.

From 1994 to 2000, BMW owned Land Rover. A few models, including the Land Rover Range Rover, used BMW engines then and in the initial years of Ford's JLR stewardship. It seems things have now come full circle. BMW currently makes a twin-turbo 4.4 liter V8 that produces anywhere from 440 to 600 horsepower, depending on the application. Automobile says that a new 4.0 liter V8 is in the works and that it will most likely be the engine that JLR uses. Expect it to be more powerful, more fuel efficient, and lighter than what both BMW and JLR currently offer.

This seems like a win for both companies. BMW gets to offset the cost of a new motor while JLR, a smaller company, doesn't have to invest in a whole new architecture. As automakers search for ways to cut costs, expect collaborations like this to continue. Infiniti and Mercedes-Benz both share a four-cylinder engine. Ford and GM have worked together to design a shared 10-speed automatic. While we may lament the loss of that wonderful Jaguar Land Rover engine, we can still be happy that they haven't abandoned the V8.

Seems like a pretty good decision by JLR. They don't need to be investing into V8s when BMW can do most of the work.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Just hope they don't lose the awesome exhaust note that Jaguar's have.

BMW is getting a lot of partnerships lately. Toyota for the supposed Supra and now JLR for a new V8.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Jaguar Land Rover to drop supercharged V8 for turbocharged BMW power

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/07/27/jaguar-land-rover-to-use-bmw-v8/

Seems like a pretty good decision by JLR. They don't need to be investing into V8s when BMW can do most of the work.

People were pretty upset when LR dropped the BMW V8 back with the MKIII Range. The Jag engines turned out to be pretty good though... Anything is better than those awful Rover V8's (based off the Buick 215 motor).

Actually when BMW aquired Land Rover and the P38A Range Rover was already under development, but they wanted to stick a BMW V8 in it but sadly there wasn't enough room. And so they continued with the 4.0/4.6L Rover V8 (an absolute nightmare).

I have a pic in one of my books of a prototype P38 with a BMW V12 under the hood. They resigned the front to make the length of the engine fit.
[doublepost=1469660699][/doublepost]
I live in the city, so there's absolutely no use for one. I guess the 1980s LC's (especially) are west-coast, CA cars.

Really like those dark green 1990s LCs with gold emblems - those do look pretty nice. Ours is white, though, but I still like the look.

My father owned a couple J100 Land Cruisers back in the late 90's and mid 2000's. My girlfriends father an old 2002 J100 Land Cruiser as his spare car, my GF sometimes borrows it in the winter.

Land Cruisers are great cars. Nothing as a whole beats their luxury, capability, reliability, longevity, and resale value. It's too bad they've grown bigger and bigger.

I briefly toyed with taking a job in Alaska, I wouldn't have hesitated to buy a LC living out there.

The classic ones are awesome too. My dads friend just bought an early 70's model to restore. It's too bad how rust prone some of the later models are, they get eaten away in the northeast.

I saw this gem the other day.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2298754

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
RIP glorious F-Type noises.

Not necessarily. It will be up to LRJ to engineer an exhaust that sounds amazing, see: W205 C63 AMG. While Mercedes' W177 is a let down in terms of sound compared to the the M156, Mercedes did an amazing job with the exhaust. LRJ will just have to do something similar to retain its exotic sounds.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Not necessarily. It will be up to LRJ to engineer an exhaust that sounds amazing, see: W205 C63 AMG. While Mercedes' W177 is a let down in terms of sound compared to the the M156, Mercedes did an amazing job with the exhaust. LRJ will just have to do something similar to retain its exotic sounds.

They should just go the BMW route and play engine noise through the interior speakers.

So Lame...

I have to say the latest V8SC powered Range Rover/Sports are annoyingly and pretentiously loud. It's a family SUV for god's sake, not a Ferrari.

I love nothing better than the 35 YO mothers loading their toddlers into car seats meanwhile the engine is idling like a powerboat. Then they drive away and with your eyes closed you'd think it's a sportscar.

Reactions: 2298754

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
They should just go the BMW route and play engine noise through the interior speakers.

So Lame...

I have to say the latest V8SC powered Range Rover/Sports are annoyingly and pretentiously loud. It's a family SUV for god's sake, not a Ferrari.

I love nothing better than the 35 YO mothers loading their toddlers into car seats meanwhile the engine is idling like a powerboat. Then they drive away and with your eyes closed you'd think it's a sportscar.

To be honest, I sat in a BMW with ActiveSound and I think the issue is blown way out of proportion. Yes I know it's inauthentic in the sense that it's not the actual sound coming into cabin but what you hear is what the car actually sounds like. If BMW never released an official statement that they were going this route, I don't think many, if any, people would know it was done digitally. If BMW used ActiveSound to mimic say the S65 V8, then we can have an argument.

If you want sound, then go out and buy an Akrapovic exhaust and disable ActiveSound.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Nice! They are great machines, but small things on them can wear out over time. That being said, the older ones are more simplistic, so less can go wrong. My mom's 1987 LC runs just fine; however, it handles horribly and is very slow. Still, fun car to be in and looks much better now that I finally got all the purple window tinting off.
[doublepost=1469693915][/doublepost]Update: we ditched the idea of another old Maserati QP and instead decided to check out a depreciated 2013 model at a real Mas dealer. My brother and father went over to see the car, and it apparently looked very nice. Still awaiting a family decision. The car is very cool-looking: it's black on black with black wheels! Nice, darker wood-trim interior in the car.
[doublepost=1469694846][/doublepost]Pt. 2: Along the way to the dealer, my brother spotted a Ford Crown Vic for sale. We've been wanting one to spin out in the middle of the desert - but also because it's one of my and my brother's dream cars. After a very unprofessional sales pitch by the kid (whose grandpa was selling the car), we ended up buying it! So hyped about this!

In case you're wondering, the kid said how he did donuts in it, and that the back seats lack the middle-seat bump, making it an expansive space for girls... In other words, he implied that it would be suitable for 'getting it on' in the back seat. Yeah, worst sales pitch ever. Sadly, he wore the new tires down some by having done donuts with it. There's a reason we drift on dirt.

Anyway, it's a white, unmarked ex police car that still has the chrome rims on it. Guessing it was a detective's unit or something. I see a hole behind the seats, where there likely used to be concealed strobe lights. On the dash is a warning placard that talks about properly stowing/mounting police equipment, and in the center is a trunk-release button. Speaking of center, there exists no center console. In place of the carpeting is rubber lining, and there's an overhead lamp added in - it's quite bright. On the outside, the car has two spotlights (one on each side), and the overall body is a bit iffy. No body damage, but there are multiple areas that were corrected with enamel and spray paint. Not noticeable from afar, though. Sadly, the push bar was removed, but it's okay. With the spotlights, it looks like any ordinary undercover cop car. In fact, I immediately noticed that, when driving it, I was given utmost respect by others. Two separate times, while I was wanting to change lanes, whoever was next to me would slow down and let me pull ahead. Additionally, I'd see people not follow too close, and one woman even gave up her turn at a stop sign for me!

How does it drive? I expected it to drive like a boat, but I was surprised to find that the steering is responsive, the wheel is incredibly easy to turn, the ride is smooth, and the car corners well. Of course, it was slightly modified. The shocks look slightly raised, and the front wheels were apparently made a bit tow-out so that cornering would be easier. No issue taking it around a turn at 30 MPH. It drives nicely. Odd, though, how rough the transmission is. It lurches at its first shift. Brakes were sucky when I first drove it, but now they seem okay. In terms of power, it's fairly powerful and has good punch and pick-up.

SO excited to drive this thing!

Extra info: Oddly enough, rear seats are leather, but front seats are cloth, with a single leather cover over the driver's seat back. Also, front passenger seat belt is charcoal/gray, while rest of belts are black. The rear doors have locks on them that can only be accessed by the driver or front passenger, so you can basically lock a person in the car. No way anyone can get in or out with these locks activated. Trunk seems to have an antenna running to it - in plain sight, from within. The bendy antenna on the rear edge of the car is short, yet the range seems nice. Car has no cassette player or CD player, so it's radio only. Lastly, driver spotlight turns on and works well, but front passenger one seems to be dead.

Overall, we picked up this baby for only $1,500. Most of the quirks are simply cosmetic; the car performs well and its overpowered AC blows ice-cold air! Wish this could be a daily driver.
[doublepost=1469695139][/doublepost]BTW, anyone know if it's illegal to have a phony orange/white light in the back (behind the rear seats, where the original one used to be)? I know that red and blue is a no-no, but apparently orange and white are okay, but only if you are stopped and it's an emergency.

However, I'd take it a step further and not even have these "lights" be operational. In fact, I wanted to create fake strobes out of unrelated materials. For example, what if I took a slender shoe box and glued an orange reflector and white reflector on it, and then make it show through the rear window? In fact, it doesn't even have to have reflectors on it - they could simply be orange/white pieces of translucent plastic.

I know fake red and blue is STILL illegal, but fake orange and white may be fine, right? Even real orange and white is fine, under certain circumstances.

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
RIP the wonderful, beautiful Jaguar AJ-V8. As anyone who has read my postings here knows, I have a long-time love for this engine and after putting about 90,000 miles on one I feel like I at least have a decent feel for it.

And, yes, even though my Lincoln has mufflers that pretty much kill all the engine noise, when you do step on it you are rewarded with such a wonderful exhaust note.
[doublepost=1469706537][/doublepost]
In case you're wondering, the kid said how he did donuts in it, and that the back seats lack the middle-seat bump, making it an expansive space for girls... In other words, he implied that it would be suitable for 'getting it on' in the back seat. Yeah, worst sales pitch ever. Sadly, he wore the new tires down some by having done donuts with it. There's a reason we drift on dirt.

I had an a 70 year old guy make the same pitch to me about a Jag XK8 I was looking at :) (BTW, I have a feeling that would actually be cramped).

In any case, I love the Panther platform and I was sorry to see it go. With the Police Interceptor package-uprated suspension, a better exhaust manifold, and a more aggressive rear end-the car can really go and doesn't "wallow" as much as you'd expect from this type of car.

I'd be really surprised if the rear seat is leather. More than likely it's vinyl-it's a lot easier to clean up vomit and blood if you can just hose down the back seat.

As for the center console-it probably had a gun rack, the control box for the lights and sirens, a mount for a laptop, and some other police specific stuff. That stuff all probably got moved over to another car when they surplussed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.