The car to drive before you die.

Discussion in 'Community' started by medea, Feb 27, 2003.

1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Britain's best-loved small car, the classic 1960s Mini Cooper, has been named as the car everyone should drive before they die.
    The humble four-seater, nicknamed the "Flying Shoebox," beat the mighty McLaren F1 supercar into second place in a top 50 compiled by one of Britain's top motoring magazines.
    "You just feel good driving a Mini Cooper," Auto Express' motoring editor Tom Barnard told Reuters. "You can go around corners fast and zip through traffic."
    With its friendly looks and relatively fast performance for what was first dubbed a "housewives' car," the Mini Cooper became as much a symbol of swinging London in the 1960s as the mini-skirt and flower-power.
    It was exported round the world and won an army of celebrity fans, including British comedian Peter Sellers and Beatles stars John Lennon and Paul McCartney.
    Perhaps its most famous appearance was in the 1960s heist film "The Italian Job" starring British actor Michael Caine.
    It was the first British car to win the European Rally Championship and triumphed four years running at the Monte Carlo Rally in the mid-1960s.
    "It is an enduring masterpiece and even now is a hoot behind the wheel," the magazine said. "Everyone should drive a Mini at some point in their life." The second-placed McLaren F1, which has a top speed of 240 mph, was described as "uncompromised engineering purity."
    The German-built Porsche 911 C2 came third after winning praise for its "blistering performance, wonderful handling, perfect steering and a seductive exhaust note."
    The Model T Ford came fourth for "bringing motoring to the masses" while the sleek Citroen DS, once the car of choice for French presidents, came fifth.
    The highest Japanese entry at 14 was the Subaru Impreza, which made its name on the world's rallying circuits.
    Seeking to cover every driving experience, the judges recommended people try a traditional London black taxi (31st place) and a five pounds old banger bought at auction (43rd).
    Limping into last place was the Sinclair C5, the ill-fated electrical tricycle launched in Britain in 1985.

I've always wanted a classic mini coop, but I think I'm going to buy one of the new ones the BMW has brought out.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I have driven one the minicooper's and thought this would be my next car. Its to cool. But my pocketbook yelled AT me and said no way so i guess its the truck during the week and the MGB on weekends for awhile.Cool Car! The one i drove was supercharged and it could haul a _ _! maybe next year or so if my wife will let me. And you can have the American or British flag on top so take that all you Saddam Lovers!

3. guitargeek macrumors regular

I would LOVE to own a Mini Cooper. Now that it's owned by BMW, that's even more of a reason.

My favorite car is, and probably always will be, a BMW M3, although a 96 Impala is pretty darn close.

4. pantagruel macrumors regular

they seem kinda small to me, maybe if it becomes available in a convertable.

5. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Just down from our hotel in London was a McLaren dealership.. *drool* I stood outside the window for 20minutes in some sort of dream-like haze that I don't fully remember. Further down was a mini-cooper dealerhsip.. cute car but uh... no biggy.

Just up Park Lane was the Aston Martin dealership... so sweet. We ended up going into the dealership and buying one.
    (Of course it was 12" big and cost 20pounds.) :D

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i went over and built one on their website... fully loaded, GPS, dual-sunroof, best seats, best sound system, cold weather package, A/C climate control... $25,000 not bad at all! i was expecting more than *that*...

this little car kicks ass, i gotta find a dealer to test drive one... not that i could afford it, but i might steal one one day ;)

pnw

7. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Being 6'3" it's not the car for me...but I appreciate seeing them around, they always bring a smile to my face.:)

8. iWantAMac macrumors 6502

Re: The car to drive before you die.

Good (pause) GOD! What is the world coming to?!?

9. iGav macrumors G3

Mini Cooper..... :p :p :p

Unreliable, rusty, unsafe, uncomfortably small, and not really that fast... even in Cooper form.....

But really, what else was a British motoring magazine going to vote for..... :rolleyes:

P.S. people above, you do realise they mean the original Mini.... not the retro Beemer Mini..... :p

10. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Personally, for all of those who are too big or too good for the mini cooper, you would probably want to drive something like this before you die...

It may guzzle gas like nothing else, but it's cool factor is just off the charts...

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Time travelling, hover converted DeLorean.....

But since that won't happen, I'd have to say it hasn't been built yet. There are some really interesting vehicles that'll be showing up in the next decade.

D

12. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

HaHa! I opened up the Mini site, then left it open when I went off to work. I came back and the Mini site had popped up this JavaScript message.

"Sorry to interrupt, but haven't you been in front of this computer long enough? We here at MINI are worried you're not getting enough exposure to the sun and stars. Don't worry, we'll be here all week. So, get going. Save your retinas for the road."

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Go, right now, to the nearest MINI dealer. Sit in the car. Drive it. Unless you are about as wide are you are tall, you will not have a problem fitting into the new MINI.

I'm 6-2. I rented one in England last spring, and drove it around the country for a week. Was I comfortable? Did I have fun? Was it any short of a total hoot? Ah, let's just say my new MINI is scheduled to be assembled next week and will arrive here in April. I'm really not the kind of person who cares that much about cars, but I can hardly sit still in anticipation.

BTW, it was cool being a Yank driving around England in a new MINI. At the time, they'd only been on the roads there for a few months, and quite a few people were openly curious about it.

14. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Why hasn't edesignuk said anything on here?

these cars are the coolest, but i have only seen like 3 around in Austin:( .

15. Raiden macrumors regular

beat the mclaren f1?!?! impossible.

Maybe in creature comforts, but not in speed. Not in speed....

16. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

well, if you want speed, you're probably better off flying airplanes or something. i doubt speed is the be all end all of the driving experience. McLarens are awesome, but so thoroughly unrealistic for normal human beings... what do they cost, anyways? isn't it upwards of a million dollars? would you honestly drive something like that at 150 mph or whatever knowing that your insurance rates would put you in the poorhouse for the rest of your life if you crashed it?

17. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Of course you have to drive one. My parents have one.

Attached Files:

• mini.jpg
      mini.jpg
      File size:
      13.5 KB
      Views:
  18. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm 6'2" and I have loads of headroom in my (new style) Mini Cooper, they are MUCH bigger inside than the old ones...and they ROCK! ...but then I am *slightly* bias ;) :D

19. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

awww I want the crash pics! Ah well here we go. The car in its more recent state: [​IMG]

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Thanks for that Wes :p I prefer it in the other pics :D

21. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I saw one in Austin right in front of the CompUSA at the gateway shopping center. I was oogling it, and the owner came out and asked if I liked it. I told him it was a cool little car. I think it was blue...

22. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Mine's also chile red/white. It will look exactly like yours, but I went for the silver hole wheels. Black cloth interior with the light silver door casings, anthracite dash, sport seats and most of the interior gadgets (upgraded steering wheel, auto climate, computer, auto mirror and wipers). Almost went for the CVT, but at the last minute changed to the 5-speed.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Thank you for sharing.

25. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Each to their own, but are you talking about the old or new mini? or both?