Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terrorbite

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
Manchester, UK
So far, each new version of OS X has had the name of a cat.

Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger...

All two syllables, which makes me think the next release will follow the same pattern. This rules out Ocelot and Lynx. A potential candidate is Lion, but this name seems too... common, especially when preceded by Tiger, which is why I believe the next release will be called...

*drumroll*

Leopard

edit: No wait. Cougar! Much better.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
who knows, since the pace of major OS updates is changing after tiger, maybe the way they market it will change too, i just dont see any big cat names working as well after tiger, Lion doesnt fit and neither does Leopard

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Lion doesn't sounds so good. I mean when I think of Lion, I think of a cat just sitting there waiting for the girls to catch his meal :rolleyes: ;) Leopard does sound alright, IMO. How about Cougar?

How high will 10.x.x go? Maybe after Tiger will see OS XI (OS 11) :eek: :)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
now that i think about it, Cougar might be a possibility, but i still think that they may go with a different marketing stategy

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
It's time to move on

"OS11 - Unparalleled"

It's time to give up the X and go back to Arabic numerals.

And the cool cats need to be traded in for something else. Maybe - reindeer names!!!

OS11 - Dasher

;)

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
How about OSX 10.5 *****.

Makes another great reason to switch. "Switch to Mac and get all the ***** you want." :D

bah, dumb word filter. you know what I mean ;)

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
I was going to say Lion, because it's the king of the jungle and all... but now that I read it.... It's going to be Cougar all the way.

Lee Tom

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
liger.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.