The Cheap Harddrive Upgrade Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by D0ct0rteeth, Jun 24, 2002.

1. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Be careful about OEM drives, many are what are considered/called 'grey market'. With those, you really do need to be careful. I would suggest getting the actuall serial number from the seller and contacting WD about it. IF they confirm the full 3 year warranty (through them) then go for it. If they say that you will have to deal with the seller, I would suggest leaving them alone.

3. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Re: The Cheap Harddrive Upgrade Advice Thread

I believe you can get a western digital 120gb with the fatty buffer now for about that price

i've got the 100gb model in my PC and it seems just as snappy (at times) as the seagate cheetah in my g4

4. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I wouldn't risk it myself, plus it's only 5400rpm

I'd go for a deskstar 120GXP or one of the new western digital drives with the 8Mb buffer, they're both 7200 rpm and there's lots of benchmarks on xlr8yourmac and barefeats that suggest they're the best option for speed and size.

If it's size and cost that's the issue, there's plenty of affordable 5400rpm drives with large sizes. Again, it's worth checking xlr8yourmac for compatability info with you're mac before you buy a drive, make sure you're getting it from somewhere you can return it if it doesn't work too, just to save you having to put the drive on eBay if it's not compatable.

5. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Anyone know where I can get a really cheap 60gb or 40gb Hard Disk for a Powerbook G4?

Ensign

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

You don't want 'really cheap' when it comes to PowerBook [G4] hard drives. Go with ones from IBM... OWC has the IBM 40GB [4200rpm and 5400rpm], 48GB [5400rpm] and 60GB [5400rpm] drives for $172, $260, $250, and $390 respectively.

If that's too rich for your blood, then look around online and see if anyone has better pricing. Either way, get the IBM drives...

7. void macrumors 6502

u made a mistake!

the ebay drive is actually 5400 rpm. not fast enough for demanding tasks(fcp etc.)

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: u made a mistake!

That has been already been pointed out, a few posts up... You really SHOULD read the thread before putting something like that up. Especially when the thread is short, like this one is. :p :D :cool:

9. Draft macrumors 6502

First, go to dealmac.com They have all of the best prices.

Next, go to www.macsales.com Click on the "Specials" link at the top of the page and sign up for their mailing list. Then when they email you, click the link to the specials page. This is the specials page made especially for readers of the news letter. You can usually find some sweet deals here.

I hope that this helps.

Draft

10. Apple][Forever macrumors regular

IBM

I'll never buy an IBM drive again...

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,59943,00.asp

I had one of these puppies and I lost a LOT of data that hadn't been backed up yet on my XP machine...

on the other hand, that might be a good thing since i am now a mac-only shop :)

I have a WD 80GB 7200 in this G3, it was 140 bucks retail boxed and it is quiet and fast. no problems yet. but i'm better about backing up now. :)

11. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Some points to consider:

www.pricewatch.com has broader (and usually better) prices than dealmac.

The IBM 120GXPs appear not to have the defect which affected so many of the 75GXPs.

If you plan to ever use a hardware RAID, the 120GXPs outperform the WD 8mb buffer drives.

As a personal aside, I have dealt with A LOT of drives, and have seen WD not to have the build quality of Seagate (best), IBM (better, save for the 75GXP), and Maxtor (good).

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Alright Bubba... IF you actually read my post, you would have seen that I was talking about IBM's TRAVELSTAR hard drive. It's actually being made by a different company I believe, and not an IBM factory.

The Travelstar drives are VERY reliable and Apple is now using them in ALL of their PowerBooks.

13. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Assuming you were addressing me (not sure which 'bubba' you were talking to), I read your post, responding to Ensign. It has nothing to do with the other posts in the thread, and it seems you've answered his question. That was it for notebook drive discussion. Thanks.

I was responding to the thread starter, who was looking for information on desktop drives, by relating some information and experience regarding his question (about desktop drives). Apparantly, you and Ensign have you own sub chat going on (not about desktop drives), while everyone else is discussing desktop drives.

Since yours is the last post talking about notebook drives, and you're still talking about notebook drives, are you the 'bubba' that you were referring to?

Anyway, thanks for the TravelStar info...

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Actually, Nipsy (if that is your name :D) I was talking about the Bubba that also goes by "Apple][Forever". Does that help clear things up Sparky??? :D

15. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

No...

He was obviously responding to the initial post, about DeskStars vs. WDs with a DeskStar experience.

So I still don't get why you're responding to HIM about not having read your post, when he's responding to the thread starter.

But, anyway, my name's not really Nipsy, it's Horatio Ezekial McDougalsteinerlitzberger.

16. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Ok, Tipsy... :p :D

I also have delt with many hard drives. Seagate beats all when it comes to SCSI drives. IBM beats all when it comes to portable/laptop drives. I've found that Maxtor has excellent, affordable ATA hard drives. I have had both Quantum and WD drives fail on me after light use. I have seen a couple of 9GB Seagate Cheetah drives go bad, but I think that was caused by the tech before me, and his f*cked up method of setting up the drives. The guy did NOT know what he was doing. He was more interested in doing concert promotions and music crap then working on the computers.