The Cheapest and Bestest Place to get the Bestest ram

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by farqueue, Oct 3, 2006.

1. farqueue macrumors 6502

Jun 18, 2006
    Hi all, i need a 1x 1gb ram module (reliable brands please - like crucial, samsung, hynix etc) for my macbook and was wondering if anyone from da US can buy me one stick of those and ship it down to new zealand as i need it urgently.:)

I will pay via paypal (i am verified for like the past 4 years)

Its impossible to run mac os x with open office, safari, adium and itunes alltogether without experiencing several seconds of the beachball of death.;)

PS: Any ideas when the ram price will go down soon? :confused: I just need a 1gb now to satisfy my needs.:rolleyes:
  2. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    Looking at your signature, it says you have 2 GB. You know that's the max the MacBook can have, right?

The cheapest place to find ram currently is on eBay I believe. If you want to buy from a store though, check out Good luck finding someone to send to you.
  3. yojitani macrumors 68000

Apr 28, 2005
    An octopus's garden
    If you were to buy the ram, have it shipped to me, and have me ship it to you, I would do it.

To get RAM at a reasonable(ish) price these days, your best bet is New Egg or ebay. I can recommend a seller on ebay, should you be interested.
  4. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2006
    if you dont like ebay, and i wouldn't blame you if you did since there are tons of skeevy ppl on ebay, you can always try, or
    Those three are reputable companies and pretty good on pricing and reliability
  5. farqueue thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 18, 2006
    Yep, i sold them generic ram off. was causing too many problems
  6. ryanx27 macrumors member

Jul 29, 2006
  7. leumluath macrumors member

Mar 22, 2005
    Edge (formerly NewerRAM) has always had excellent, guaranteed compatible memory at good prices, and they ship outside the US.

8. clintob macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2006
    New York, NY
    Not to pile on, since it sounds like your frustrated, but I have some bad news for you. If you're getting a lot of "beachball" time running Office, Safari, Adium, and iTunes, and that's all you're doing for the most part, it's not your RAM. Those 4 apps are really not RAM intensive at all... iTunes is the worst, and unless you're using full screen visualization and cover flow and every other imaginable plugin, it's not going to take up much.

Truth is, it sounds like there might be something wrong with one of those Apps, or perhaps with your computer itself. Try re-installing all of the programs, repair your permissions, and then run each one at a time for a while to see if you get any problems with any of them individually. Then add one at a time to the equation and see where you start to run into problems. Don't jump the gun and load up your MB with RAM that you don't necessarily need. Just my two cents...
  9. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    i got my 2 1GB RAM sticks from OWC. no problems and good prices!
  10. farqueue thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 18, 2006

urr... 183 dollars for 1gb of ram... no way
  11. parenthesis macrumors member

Mar 22, 2003
    Here and there
    I would agree. Adding "brand name" RAM isn't going to solve the problem.

If all else fails, since it's a new computer, you might try calling Apple. If there is something wrong with the HD or the logic board, then they might be able to fix it for free.
  12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Err... I think the OP said that they had 2 Gb (generic), sold it, now is back to the stock 512 Mb, which is ample reason for beachballs...

farqueue, Insured Shipping (courier $49 - $82) to NZ is going to kill the price advantage, unless you are willing to risk uninsured postal mail ($8) - but then if it is lost, you are out the entire amount.

You already know the risks of generic (NewEgg, BestBuy, Frys) memory. Data Memory Systems has guaranteeed compatible RAM for US$139 or $134 per Gb. To see the single 1 Gb modules, go to the intel iMac page.
    Crucial and OWC (MacSales) are also often recommended here

Also keep in mind that using PayPal will cost the recipient 3% - 5% to get their money out and you will get burned by Paypal for about 4% on the foreign exchange.

13. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    OWC told me that the new demand for all of this RAM for newer machines has actually caused a worldwide shortage of materials ready for production, so pricing
    will continue to climb.
  14. YoNeX macrumors regular

Apr 29, 2005
    Picked up a stick of Patriot @ Frys for $85. Runs fine, with no problems at all. :D
  15. triplefinger macrumors member

Apr 11, 2005
  16. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    Surely there is a insured option through the USPS?

Paypal will not take sides with the seller if the item goes missing and buyer files a dispute through paypal.