The classic question. Which mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cornchild, Jan 14, 2007.

1. cornchild macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2007
    I have been observing for 4 years the mac scene. Dreaming of switching from the pc. And now finally I have reached the point were I can purchase a mac any mac.

I do graphics design, 3d modeling, plan to run parallels, also want to learn apple script.

The question is though, Which one?

I considered:

Mac book pro:

- Has a cool design

- portable

- Would have to get used to a laptop.
    - Doesn't contain as much hard disk space.

- Again cool design
    -space saving
    - powerful machine
    - easy access to later add larger hd.
    - wouldn't have to get used to new way of computing.

- limited to 3 gigs of ram "may change soon though"
    mac pro:

- powerful machine
    - life span

- large footprint

Then the question comes of if I were going to spend the money and get a mac pro why not just get an imac and macbook? Then I would have the best of both worlds.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
  2. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    For serious graphics design and modelling, it's got to be a Mac Pro. You may find that 3GB limit on the iMac becomes a limitation in the future.
  3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    When you say you do graphic design and 3D modeling does that mean you make your living from it? If so, Mac Pro. If not, either of the other choices is fine. It is a question of whether you need portability or not.
  4. cornchild thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2007
    I do 3d modeling as a hobby for now. If I got the imac I could get a macbook aswell. Portability is not a necessity but would be nice to have.
  5. 4nr- macrumors regular

Oct 5, 2006
    Göteborg, Sweden
    I think you should get the MPB in that case, use it in clamshell mode with an external Display, a keyboard and mouse. Just an idea.
  6. gavd macrumors 6502a

Jan 30, 2006
    This sounds like a good idea for your requirements. Enjoy it, whatever you decide to get!
  7. JD92 macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2005
    Ditto, plus you can always use an external HDD with your Macbook/Pro for when you're at home.
  8. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6

Well, if 3D modeling is just a hobby, then you should be fine going with an iMac and a MacBook. But if you think that you are going to be pursuing 3D modeling more seriously in the near future, then you might want to consider going with a Mac Pro. :)
  9. cornchild thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2007
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

My only fear about going with the macbook pro is that I have read it gets very hot. Also I would have to get used to using that type of computer.

The Mac pro seems future proof. I would be able to hang onto it for at least 7 years. it's just the price of it along with a display.

Then the imac seems economical and with a macbook would allow me to have a mac anywhere.

I suppose I will have to keep thinking on it.
  10. stevento macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2006
    Los Angeles
    if you get a macbook pro, you can always get the 3 G or ram and then for the harddrive issue, you can spend $100-200 for and external hard drive with more than anyone will ever need.

the Mac Pro has up to 3 terrabyte of ram...
    512 KB is 115 photos (at 6 mega pixels)
    so 230 is 1G and the mac pro has 3 terrabytes (3000 G)
    so that would be 690,000 photos at 6 megapixels each... i wish i had it.
    get the macpro and two of those 30" displays
    it'll be incredible.
  11. gavd macrumors 6502a

Jan 30, 2006
    I don't think you mean to say this...
  12. damien341 macrumors member

Dec 3, 2006
    lower saxony, germany
    when you've been observing the mac scene for 4 years you shouldn't need our advice...!?
  13. vanzskater272 macrumors regular

Aug 10, 2006
    Wow 3 terabytes of ram? ha ha, I think you mean 3 terabytes of hard drive space