The Clean Streets of London

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MACDRIVE, Jan 25, 2007.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Every time I see some news footage with London in the background, I never see one single piece of litter (rubbish). The place always looks spotless; at least on TV anyway. Is it really that clean?

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Probably because all the people are standing on it.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Nope, it's high tech wizardry and the 'magic of television'. In reality it's a festering pit of filth. Or so I've been told.

4. iGav macrumors G3

Depends on the area. Some parts are spotless... then you have south of the river. heh.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is this London, England, we're talking about??? :confused:

6. iGav macrumors G3

It's clean round where Queenie lives.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

London, Ontario is a fantastic city.

Paris, Ontario, on the other hand.... *shakes head*

8. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Yes it is. Give us your take skunk. ;)

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Since I live in the leafy and über-salubrious suburb of Richmond, I feel hardly qualified to comment. Here, they clean the litter before they bag it up.

10. ironjaw macrumors 6502

That's very Posh, Victorian, Oxbridge, I-am-better-then-you, Eton-said:rolleyes:

But I like it :D

Please tell me you have a butler who says: 'Charmed' all the time in the most patronizing way possible to anyone who is not of a higher posture and level in society

11. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

London is filthy it's part of it"s charm as is Londoners whinging about it.:)

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Like anywhere there's good parts and bad parts - each variance becoming more obvious to you depending on your mood I suppose. From what I've seen and compared to a lot of other places I'd say it's not so bad as a whole. I'm a n00b to the area however.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Your irony meter appears to be broken.

14. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

Ottawa is freakin' spotless, at least compared to any place in the US. Montreal is nice too...lovely country those Canadians have up there.

15. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

London - the centre - is pretty clean. It's no worse than other cities in the UK, and much better than some cities abroad that I've been too (I was thoroughly shocked at the amount of graffiti in Rome).

Outside the centre, however, it depends entirely on what borough you're in :(

16. bartelby macrumors Core

Paris, France is a pretty spotless place!
    I was pretty surprised to hear, and see, they wash the gutters!!

17. rmarasa macrumors member

It's absolutely filthy throughout. Litter everywhere and none of it ever seems to be cleaned out. If someone turfs something they shouldn't like an old monitor... it'll still be outside next month and the next after. Nothing but gum, wrappers, old beer cans everywhere. Not like most cities :-(

18. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

:eek: Metre, my dear Skunk, Metre. I think the Americans are corrupting your English!

Don't give in. Hold the line and keep the purity of our language against those who would debase it.

19. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Haha watch american TV, especially when they are talking about another shooting in richmand. It is another world over there.. (also in terms of sheer litter)

20. After G macrumors 68000

After G

For the people who have clean cities, it's probably because they dump all their trash on the freeway going through the city I live in when they commute. :eek:

Another strange thing I noticed about clean cities is that they get dirtier the longer you live there.

That or you just start noticing the dirt. :p

21. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Everywhere over here in the United states of A, is nothing but a sess pool. There's litter strewn everywhere. What I hate the most are filthy cigarette butts. I wish cigarettes were banned in this country. :mad:

There's always someone flicking their cigarette butt out the window of their car too. Everytime I see someone do that, it makes me think of that James Bond movie where the machine guns fold out of the car and obliterate the car in front of it. :)

I'm always sweeping the gutter in front of my house. My neighbors look at me like I'm mental, but I don't care. :p

22. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

On the contrary – the toadish one is quite right. Metre is the correct spelling for the unit of measurement, but a device that measures stuff like water, electricity or irony is spelt meter. ;)

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You are incorrect. A meter as an instrument for measuring is spelled meter whichever side of the Atlantic you hail from. Only when referring to a unit of measure do we follow the French.

Oh, snap, Edible One! :D

24. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Well, is the mitre/miter saw on centre/center?

25. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

You obviously never check the bottom of your shoes then. The amount of dog crap on the streets is apalling. They just let their dogs crap anywhere and dont even think about picking up. I saw a woman standing in the doorway of a newsagent tpye store (tabac) and she waited while her stupid looking furball of a dog crapped right on the stoop then went into the store with the dog. :eek: