Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
I'd like to see the software laws change so microsoft would quit copying apple! I know it's a complicated issue but there must be a solution if a group of law makers thought hard enough about it.

Then of course MS would die a slow death because they'd still be trying to sell copies of xp in year 2018. :p

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The VCR. Fortunately, with ReplayTV and a DVD player, I hardly ever need one, but my clinic records therapy sessions on videotape. Ugh. So now I need to find my VCR and plug it into my Replay so I can use it to get MPEG files of my therapy cases! :D

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
emw thats so true, really for the spanish part they do that and it pisses me off (well not really but its a waste of time). They wouldn't have made it that far if they couldn't understand english. Sometimes it makes me wonder what idiots are running a company and how they got up there.

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
Junky teledildonics toys (like sinulator)... Why cant anyone make something good!?

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
I actually prefer the voice-activated menus and am glad that the power company has one -- since I am a rotary-dial telephone junkie, and further have a lot of dang Touchtone Trimline phones where you can't see the buttons without taking it off your ear.

So, uh, TouchTone? There are some cool things that can be done with it, like voicemail, but a lot of people just use it to make you navigate an annoying menu [1]. I guess we can call it a computer technology, since you generally have a digital system on the other end when there's a menu. Pushbutton pulse is just as convenient for dialing.

Second choice, definitely Zip disks[2]. They're expensive, obsolete, and unreliable. A lot of people I know still use them -- thankfully, I got all mine over to CD-R and hard disk a while back. This might rank above TouchTone.

Third choice, TN3270. Anyone who spends any time around academic institutions knows about this insecure beast, and bankers probably still have to put up with it too. Sensitive records from the mainframe thrown around by a Telnet client emulating an obsolete non-standard [3] dumb terminal are NOT secure.

1. Note that on many systems, you get a receptionist if you hold. This is for if you are confused or are using an old telephone.

2. Jazz, also. Just as bad, especially in the DVD-R and cheap LaCie drive era.

3. IBM terminals are a lot different from the DEC terminals usually emulated for regular telnet and stuff like that.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
andrebsd said:
Junky teledildonics toys (like sinulator)... Why cant anyone make something good!?

Okay, someone back me up here and tell me I'm not the only one who had to wiki that. ;) Why doesn't the cmd-ctrl-D library have anything good in it? :eek: :D

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and this is a strange one, I guess, but I wish that the web would convert to Unicode as the standard text format, killing all the other character encodings, so that multilingual stuff would be less of a PITA. :(

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Mac_Freak said:
Parallel ports. Not that current Macs have any, but still can see them in PCs
TrackBall mices, so my school wouldn't have to use them.

Agreed - their time has passed. Still have a parallel port on the back of a brand new thinkpad.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
The QWERTY keyboard. It'll never happen, because we all know how to type on it, but it seems silly that we're using a keyboard layout designed specifically to keep you from typing quickly.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
1 button mice, sorry

CRT, floppies, USB1, silly competition hardware and sequel hardware that replaces hardware that hasnt taken off yet (PCI-X + PCI Express, Sata + Sata 2 etc)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.