Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jante99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
I am trying to compile the zoinks program. (Fink doesn't seem to want to find it)
When I type the command make "location of .tar.gz" in terminal I get the message that nothing needs to be done to the file. What am I doing wrong?
./configure doesn't seem to work at all.

The website says to do type the commands:

./configure
make
make install

Zoinks website

Also, has anyone ever used this program? It is a text editor/compiler for C, C++, and Java used in the X11 window enviroment.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I have never used it.. but

why dont you just use the one that Apple gives you with the Dev tools? There is even a GUI if you must. It has the latest gcc and java JDK...

evildead

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Try getting help on configure. Maybe...

./configure --help
or
./configure kldsjkf

the second one might bring up a list of possible options.

If configure doesn't work, you could be screwed. But you can always try doing a...

make clean

To get rid of any compiled stuff that is lingering around causing the no work error. If configure doesn't work, I doubt this will, but give it a shot.

Taft

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Eek. Maybe I'm misreading you, but it sounds as if you're in well over your head. Are you trying to run make against the .tar.gz file? That's an archive. You should be able to use Stuffit Expander to expand the archive into a folder. If you expand "blah.tar.gz" on your desktop, you'll likely wind up with a folder called "blah Folder." Rename that to just "blah," then open the terminal window and 'cd Desktop/blah' then ./configure and make from there.

Before you do that, I've got to ask, do you have a working X11 environment on your Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.