The Console War Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by WildCowboy, Mar 11, 2006.

1. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

As AmbitiousLemon outlined in this thread, this thread will be dedicated to discussion of whose console rules the world. The idea is to keep other threads from devolving into console flame wars, so we're going to try this experiment. There is no guarantee that this system will remain in place permanently, but let's see how it works.

It is very important to note that we are relying on regular readers of the Games forum to report "console war" posts as early as possible so that they can be moved to this thread and allow the original thread to remain on-topic.

2. thisonechance macrumors regular

Wii, why so hard to find?

Seeing as the Nintendo Wii is the new "it" toy to have, (ok, so really my internet no longer works with WoW) my roommate and I decided to get one. It didn't take long to realize that they are still impossible to find! Every day, we have been checking multiple stores for two weeks and still no luck. I guess Walmart got a shipment this morning, but I don't want one enough to camp out the night before (yes, they are still camping out). I am in the western suburbs of Chicago.

Are they this difficult to get where you are?

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Yeah.. I'm figuring I'll be able to get one some time in the summer. They're so much friggin' fun!!

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They're just appearing on shelves here now. Though some shops sell out quickly on cables, controller etc.

Too popular. Everyone and their dog here has one now. I don't think theres a single person on my course without one :eek: . Loads had proper pre-orders down though. My girlfriends triplet brother and sister all have one each! Crazy really.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Nintendo are keeping supply low so it looks like the system is popular.

LOL

6. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but it doesn't look that way to me...VG charts has 5.2 Million Wiis being sold since launch (I know its not official but its still a ton for 3 months). I think most of the stores around here get a steady stream but they sell out quick...

You have to remember that at launch they had a bunch stockpiled but they probably don't have a big enough production capacity to feed the whole world's habit. I'm sure they will eventually be in stores but I would expect them to be the big seller next Christmas (along with iPods) too.

The PS3 will probably start to build up steam too as titles get released but around $200 is the sweet spot for high end Birthday and Christmas gifts (at least where I live).

7. thisonechance macrumors regular

My girlfriend was telling me that back home in St. Louis, they are everywhere. Most stores there have them in stock.

I am debating on whether or not to make the drive.

8. Pants Dragon macrumors regular

I got mine on release, but it's VERY difficult to find one where I live. Whenever they come in, they're snatched up within an hour or two. They're harder to get than a PS3.

Reason? They're cheaper, and well, cooler than the other two consoles. :D

9. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

i dont know why anyone would possibly want a wii over a ps3 ..you just dont get the graphics..but if you want a wii just go on ebay..theyre everywhere on that site...:apple:

10. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Why would someone want a Wii over a PS3?

Here are a few reasons:

1. Price (people are cheapskates)
    2. Lack of games for PS3 (sure the Wii doesn't have a ton of good games but the PS3 has even fewer, if that is possible)
    3. Nostagia (the virtual console is a great way for all of the 20-30 somethings to consoladate all of their favorite classic titles they grew up with in one place)

Too be honest, I got a few GC titles to hold me over until better Wii games come out and I have to say, last gen graphics weren't too bad. Games like Resident Evil 4 and Soul Caliber 2 look more than acceptable to me and for people without HDTVs who really cares...

11. Trowaman macrumors 6502a

Trowaman

I know, graphics are so great, it pains me that while I'm playing my Wii the graphics don't match what I was looking at beforehand. I mean I seriously have to go outside and experience things for real to get a high def view point.

If only watching my Wii would be like watching the rest of my life . . .

Oh right, it's experience not how pretty.

12. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

ok not to mention the games for the wii with the exception of zelda suck....i mean mario....what are we...12?

13. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

And for the PS3, Final Fantasy XIII, Virtua Fighter 5, and Metal Gear Solid 4 (to name a few)… yeah, they all have sequels. :rolleyes:

My parents keep telling me about the Wii. I'd get one mostly for Zelda and Wii Sports right now –*the former for me and the latter because my mom would enjoy it. :)

14. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Overstocked. No one here wants one.

Come and get 'em.

15. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Do you have a Wii? I do and I have played some very good games on it. Not every game has to be a 9.0+ game to be worth playing. Most of these are at least worth a rent and possible purchases for people depending on tastes...Here are a few of the good ones besides Zelda:

Excite Truck
    Madden '07 (the controls make it on par or better than the other versions)
    Wario Ware
    Elebits
    Rayman
    Trauma Center
    Monkey Ball
    Sonic
    SSX Blur
    Red Steel (Ok this is a stretch, but it is worth a rent at least...)

Also, your post makes you sound like you are 12. Mario is the all time king of platformers and can be challenging for adults and children. People who are grown up realize that you don't have to have sex and violence for a game to be good. In my experience, adults (not highschool kids or lowerclassmen in college) buy games that are good. I can play God of War one minute and switch to Kirby the next. Who gives a cr*p, they are both good games.

Of the games listed earlier for the PS3, only VF5 is out. Resistance is a good shooter but inferior to a couple of games on the 360 IMO so who cares. Nothing new to see, move along...

16. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

i finally got my wii more than a week ago (thank God)... some comments on the "journey".... no one camps out in my area.. so every sunday 12:00AM i would check the ads for the wii... it finally came up at circuit city last week so it was all good.. i woke up at 6:00 to make sure i would get one.. no one was there so i just slept in my car for about 30 mins.. once one person went out, i was out and waiting in the rain... i noticed that it was mostly mothers or fathers who would be getting it for their 8-12 year old kids... so yea... i got it and it is all good

17. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

I swear that Chicago is getting the shaft...they are _nowhere_ to be found.

18. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Yes, I know, but Mario isn't out either. ;)

19. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

It's still impossible to get one up where I live; no Best Buy, Target, or Wal-Mart near me has managed to keep Wii's in stock for any period of time. Actually, the same has been true for the DS as well; apparently many parents looking to buy Wii's for their kids decided to just get them the "other Nintendo."

20. Makosuke macrumors 603

eBay pretty much shows you what the actual market is; PS3s are going for pretty much "sticker price", and aren't selling out every time. Wiis, on the other hand, are consistently going for $300-350, significantly above the tag.

That lines up perfectly with what I see locally, too--I've been checking CONSTANTLY since the beginning of January (I figured before Christmas was just hopeless), and although my local GameStop, Target, Kmart(s), and Sears get shipments in pretty regularly (a dozen or two each, every week or two) they ALWAYS sell out within a half hour of opening. I have not, so far, managed to make it to any of the above at 9am on one of the days that they get them in (none, of course, can TELL you what day of the week stock comes it...).

PS3s, on the other hand, everywhere--Target's had them in stock (and not selling--you could see it was the same one sitting there in the case untouched) for the past month and Kmart has several 20 and 60 GB models just sitting there not selling.

Personally, I'm pretty sure I know why--my wife is not what you'd call an avid gamer by any stretch. She, however, took one look at Wii Sports and said "I want one!" The PS3, however, she has zip interest in.

I'm sure the launch titles are part of the reason, but frankly I live in a college town and there just aren't that many people who want and/or can afford a PS3--people just don't have $500 laying around for, what, a half dozen games and a copy of Talledega Nights in hi-def? Certainly too rich for my blood--none of the games interest me anyway, but I couldn't afford that even if I wanted one.

Ooh, that's just mean. Send some of the love to my area.

Oh, and I was on a medical trip last month, and I couldn't find one anywhere in the Phoenix or Denver metropolitan areas, either. I heard over and over "Sure, we get shipments in all the time, but don't even bother calling--if we have them we'll be sold out by the time you get here."

21. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

We're still finding them near impossible to get a hold of, maybe one or two a week at the moment.

I fancy one, but I don't know how much point there will be as the single player isnt supposed to that good. What would people who have one say?

It's not that I don't have friends, but my room doesn't lend its self to having more than one person in at any time, so we tend to go out.

22. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Companies have done it before, so it wouldn't surprise me if that is true.

But yeah they are still impossible to find around here too. Gamecubes never ever sold like this, so this could only be good news for Nintendo.

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed. Stick around for a while and the demand should die down and Nintendo will get their ground...start getting these machines out.

Might I add that you can't find them here as well...but this is a big city with a lot of people :)

Bless

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What are you, 12?

I've been gaming long enough to know that a universal appeal to a game does not make it a bad game. Best game I've ever played? Turrican. Does it have blood? no. Is it hard as nails to the extent that a child probably couldn't complete it? yes.

I always find its the children themselves who have trouble with game appearances and their target audiences.

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Wii is still hard to buy over the counter here. Most places are still operating a put your name down and we will give you a call when they come in - system here.