the core

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Apr 6, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i saw the core with my wife last night...and in some ways it was better than armageddon

the characters weren't as developed, but they were somehow more believeable and the movie seemed more technical (like apollo 13) than the boy-girl conflict usually thrown into a movie like this

2. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

The only part I liked in the core was when they were stuck in the giode (spelling?!?!) Other than that, I felt it was full of crap

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

the funny thing is the geode part of the movie was the least likely scientific part

but it was an interesting scene anyway...don't you think that would have thrashed the ship?

4. altair macrumors regular

the whole idea

The whole idea is the least believable part. How far is it to the center of the earth? The Core? Somewhere near 3000km. And how deep have we been able to drill to date? Ohhh about 5km.
    So yeah....not going to happen. As a geologist, looking at that movie makes me want to barf.

5. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Ok I have not (and am not going to) seen The Core, but from the previews it looks absolutely horrible, actually it looks like one of the most flawed movies I've seen come out in a long time. Maybe the movie comes up with some explanations, but from the preview I can draw these questions:
    If the military has the means of creating some sort of weapon with the power to potentially destroy the earth, why is there no self-destruct or even an off button?
    Is this weapon in the center of the earth? If so how did it get there, and if they have the means to get it there why do they need to search for some scientist for a means to get back to "the core?"
    How do you calculate where the center of the core is?Really I don't know.....
    If this weapon creates earthquakes of some sort, what is with all the lightning in the preview?

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I won't see "The Core" till it comes out on DVD. From what I've heard it sounds interesting.

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

it looks awfully corny to me... but I wouldn't mind seeing it.

8. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

going into the movie, i was expecting it to be corny. my gf had no interest in it whatsoever, but i dragged her along. Coming out, i don't think it was that bad. My gf didn't think so either.

medea, the movie will answer your questions when u see it. Otherwise, I can, but it might include spoilers. Let me know.

9. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

I have to say that movie looks more predictable than Apollo 13 and Armageddon combined. It's like you can sit in the teatre looking at your watch and say... well they've been digging to the core for 2 minutes something is going to go wrong right about..... Now.

Come on people PLEASE don't see these kinds of movies so that we can force hollywood to come up with some better stories.

10. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

armageddon was very predictable with regular oil roughnecks saving the world in an underdog scenario

in the core, the people were scientists and used their heads and didn't need to get drunk, have girly dancers, and start a barfight the night before the mission

the core was more cereberal like apollo 13 and didn't need to use sex symbols and romance to spice it up

the characters seemed rather dull in a way, but more like the scientists i have met in my life and took classes from in high school and college

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

There is some concern that in the next 100 million years the earth's core will run out of nuclear fuel that keeps it molten - which means that the magnetosphere is toast - life as we know it changes. So hopefully by the time it becomes an issue, we'll have either left the planet or figured out how to fix it.

I'll see the Core on DVD, I like those movies once in a while, but to pay $9 for a movie is silly.

D

12. sturm375 macrumors 6502

It's just a Movie

God!

I can't stand people who pick apart the science of a movie. Say it with me: It's just entertainment. Not meant to be some thesis or something.

It was a very entertaining movie. Scientifically very unsound, but entertaining none the less.

BTW I am not sure about this, but I don't think there is anything nuclear about the core of the Earth. I believe it is super heated Iron, heated by the presure of the surrounding material and the radiation from the sun.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: It's just a Movie

Always check or research your ideas. The Earth?s core is mainly composed of iron but it is the presence of other elements, such as uranium, which undergo spontaneous radioactive decay that produce the heat to keep the core molten. The molten core's convection currents create the magnetic field, which creates the magnetosphere. Without the magnetosphere the earth would get a lot of nasty solar rays, UV and such from the sun and cause some serious problems.

D

14. Groovsonic macrumors regular

Ok, the Core was like a high budget B movie.

Entertaining: Yes!
    Good: no.
    Enjoyable: Yes!
    Believeable:no.

All in all, I would equate the Core to "Wake me up before you go-go" by Wham. Utterly deviod of substance and meaning, but it sure is fun!

15. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

HAHA good comparison.:cool:

16. sturm375 macrumors 6502

Re: Re: It's just a Movie

You are right, I didn't check, or research my ideas. I relied on my high-school, and college geology classes. (In other words not much knowledge).

However since you questioned me, I did some research, and found that most of the geophysists refute the idea of radioactive material in the core. Here are my sources:

http://geology.about.com/library/weekly/aa072102a.htm

http://mahi.ucsd.edu/cathy/SEDI2002/ABST/SEDI1-1.html

http://mahi.ucsd.edu/cathy/SEDI2002/ABST/SEDI1-2.html

17. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

a special i saw on public tv or discovery said that basically, there are still a lot of unknowns about the core

i live near hopkins marine institute of stanford university and monterey bay aquatic research institute and i had a friend who did grad studies at both

as far as knowledge goes, he told me that man knows much more about outer space than they even do about the ocean

off topic...but many of us know whales are in danger from man, but the way things are going concerning sharks, they may not be long of this earth and the slim conservation efforts and public misperception of the graceful animal (sharks) are no help to its plight

ok, environmentalist rant over;)